Quantcast

What do you do with your old cycling clothes?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I've got a bunch of old cycling clothes that I simply don't use any longer. Several pairs of shorts, jerseys and misc stuff. Some (okay most) of it has that synthetic fiber funk to it.

For some reason I just can't pitch it and because of the funk I'd feel bad giving it away.....

Samething got a couple of old stinky camelbaks, etc.....

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Synthetic fiber funk? I've got old jerseys and shorts of all qualities dating from back in the mid-nineties and they still come out of the washer/dryer smelling clean. Sure, they may go into the laundry basket really nasty and 'full-o-funk' but they still wash fine.

I'd say wash the stuff WELL, and then wear the crap out of it. My old shorts go away when the holes in the seams of the crotch get a little too close to revealing the 'goods'. Okay, my wife tosses them well before this point. But I still ride them until I can't. Jersey's start off nice, then become sleeveless after a couple seasons and then become backups in the car in case I forget one.

EDIT: My gloves develop funk on each ride and must be washed. That's gotta be the worst funk ever,... well that and armor.

J

JRB

I am donating some old cycling clothes. Some aren't used much, but I just don't use them. They can bleach them if they think they are funky.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
peter6061 said:
Synthetic fiber funk? I've got old jerseys and shorts of all qualities dating from back in the mid-nineties and they still come out of the washer/dryer smelling clean. Sure, they may go into the laundry basket really nasty and 'full-o-funk' but they still wash fine.
Your funk is apparently weak.

DRB's funk is strong.

:D

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I keep a set of old gear in the car just in case I forgot something. But I do happen do have a bunch of old cycling socks that have lost their elasticity. I hate to throw them out but I can't think of any use for those.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Stinky Bike Gear recipe:

Try this. Soak in "Biz" overnight, at least 12 hours. this is an enzyme
based presoak that goes after organic matter, not your regular presoak.
Then, rinse that out and then run through the wash with a laundry product called Oxyclean, which is not an detergent it's an additive. You should be able to get that at any supermarket.

splat

Nam I am
peter6061 said:
90's , hell I've got some jerseys from the late 80's and they still wash up nicely with No funk. , If they have funk , they get to visit the trash