Quantcast

What do you guys think about Deemax rims?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i need to know are they worth the money, are they as strong as they say, how the hubs, and what are the positives and negatives

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
sun is more expensive i thought and i heard that they aren't as good

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Deemax are light, strong, tubeless, and expensive. You could probibly get a better wheelset for the money though.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
I dont know if they are that light, I weighed a set of 05 yellow Deemax and they came in at about 2550g. A simular set of Kings/823 rims that I have weigh 2280.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
well all i can say, is i managed to falt spot a deemax wheel set (original yellow)
in one day of riding in whistler,
so my opinion is for the money your better off with a custom wheel build like mentioned above
hadley and 823

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
If you guys can get hadley hubs on 823s for the same price as the deemax, it's a no-brainer. the mavic hubs are good (they are like any sealed cartridge hub) but the hadleys... I saw a guy take a two year old hub which had seen a major amount of abuse to bits for a service and I was so impressed with the quality! sadly I can't afford one though.
In euroland the deemax is quite a bit cheaper than that combo.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
if i get hadley and 823s it will cost me a lot more money i am getting the deemax for just under 600

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
zmtber said:
i need to know are they worth the money, are they as strong as they say, how the hubs, and what are the positives and negatives

The 2003 yellow's (36H) are built with the same rims as the old Mavic D321(only powder coated yellow...).
If you realy have to have yellow rims , try to order them from Go-Ride or from Europe and lace them to any hub you like (they are shipped to shops without the stickers so make sure they send you those as well- 6 stickers per rim!)
I have purchased 8 yellow rims already from a shop in Paris for 50 Euros each...(they don't mail order :angry: )

2004-05 came with 28 spokes and narrow UST rims (I think... :think: ) so you'ill need to run them with presta valves.

As for the complete wheels , check availability of the straight pull spokes - as they are supplied in sets and are not very easy to come by.
The hubs are not as durable as King or Hadley's - some small parts will not last and the Mavic catalog is not on-line...could be easier if you have a Mavic dealer near you

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
punkassean said:
That video proves nothing. A big to flat (ROCK!) on a hardtail will destroy any rim. Plus how do we know the spokes were porperly tensioned etc? I could make a more entertaining video of me watching TV.... :rolleyes:
I know I know I know... ;)
But you do have to admit - even though I don't know any of the people in the video exceot the rider that kids high pitch voice is both funny and annoying.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
the kikd with the high pitched voice said "you should hang that on the wall next to my medal" or something of that nature, i was thinking "medal from what, the special olympics" sorry in advance for that crude comment, but it gave me a chuckle

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
punkassean said:
That video proves nothing. A big to flat (ROCK!) on a hardtail will destroy any rim. Plus how do we know the spokes were porperly tensioned etc? I could make a more entertaining video of me watching TV.... :rolleyes:
geez, not to mention he landed with all the grace of a sack of bricks :thumb:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You could build up some D321's. Even an xt hub in the back would be fine. There are lots of good 20mm hubs. It would be alot cheaper and they are still very strong.

Thats kids voice is soo wierd.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i am looking for manly complet wheel sets because it seems like everything else is week or expensive compare to the deemax

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
would Deemax be the best then

yeah that kid had a wierd voice he most be like 6

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i got a set of 823 built to dt swiss hugi fr hubs front and rear. there both 32 hole wheels and the rear has tripple butted spokes and the front is double butted. you can ask anyone of my crew and for a 150 lb guy im extremely hard on rims. so from me there incredibly strong and i dont plan on getting rid of them untill i have to replace the frame. or atleast my rear cause i have to replace the rear hub. ohh well but that another story. so i say 823 built to either hugi or hadley. one or the other will do you good. :thumb: :thumb:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
theres a reason there expensive. from experiance selling short on wheels is not a good thing. having a flat spot an inch long on a wheel and never being true and having a front wheel never be true and getting so outa wack that its rubs the stanchion legs of a super t with a maxxis minion 2.5. trust me the more you spend on your wheels now the longer, harder, and the less money you will have to spend down the road replacing the cheap crappy wheels.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah i know that but it looks like i amgoing to buy the deemax rims but they say i can't get them for another three weeks should i just wait to 06

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
when you say deemax rims do you mean, the rims or the wheel? You can get the deemax rims in 32 holes, it's basically so that you can have both wheels that match if your frame requires special hub

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I haven't heard any bad things about the Dee-Max rims. However, I have been pretty happy with my rim choices. I run Mavic 729s on both of my bikes. One set, on my DH bike, has Sun Ringle hubs and my DJ bike has Hugi hubs.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay so your wanting to get deemaxes. thats 600 bucks on a set of rims. i spent 560 on my 823. okay so i got a good deal on my rear cause of the shop but it wont be much more than that. actually i would say about the same as the deemax. you might up saving money going with 823 or 729 with your own hubs and you know that its going to have 32 or 36 hole. so thats what i would do if i was you.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
:thumb: you cant go wrong with hadley's or hugis. they are both indistructible and are awsome. i dont have any experiance with hadley but have heard nothing but greatness. my hugi's have incredible engament and are wicked strong. also i had a ringle hub and the hugi is quiet but burlier, faster, and kooler looking than the ringle hub. so either way you go you set.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
frznnomad said:
:thumb: you cant go wrong with hadley's or hugis. they are both indistructible and are awsome. i dont have any experiance with hadley but have heard nothing but greatness. my hugi's have incredible engament and are wicked strong. also i had a ringle hub and the hugi is quiet but burlier, faster, and kooler looking than the ringle hub. so either way you go you set.
Yeah, but I like the way Ringle sounds. :thumb: The louder the hub the better...braaaap!