Quantcast

what do you guys use for spoke tension gauges?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Park and Wheelsmith seem to be the 2 top dogs, but i figure the Park is popular 'cause it's dirt cheap compared to Wheelsmith (and even cheaper when compared to DT and FSA). how does the Park version hold up over the long run? how about the Wheelsmith?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I've been using a Wheelsmith for many years. It was the cheapest at the time. I've looked at the Park one but it seems quite a bit larger and a little more unwieldy in comparision.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Park. Mine has been used for many wheel builds. Probably needs to be recalibrated, but it's not a big deal. It's still a good tool for gauging relative tensions.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Brian HCM#1 said:
I have a Park that I sometimes use, however you build enough wheels you can do it by feel.
I second that. If I'm building a really stiff rim with straight gauge spokes I'll use the Wheelsmith one at my shop.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a Park. But mostly use my fingers. I will however ask the person I am building for if they want me to use the tool. Most say no....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just curious, when i go by feel, i give 2 parallel spokes a sqeeze and compare that to a supposedly decent build. is that what you guys do, as well? that is the only way i have ever built, and i am generally confident in my wheels, but i think the gauge would help me either fine-tune, or at least not doubt what i'm putting together.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
the Inbred said:
just curious, when i go by feel, i give 2 parallel spokes a sqeeze and compare that to a supposedly decent build. is that what you guys do, as well? that is the only way i have ever built, and i am generally confident in my wheels, but i think the gauge would help me either fine-tune, or at least not doubt what i'm putting together.
Parallel spokes then parallel spokes 180deg on the same side. Then the next series. Different spoke lengths have a slightly different feel, right??

So it would have to be the same rim, same hub, same type of spoke, same lacing, same nipple length, etc., I suppose. I don't tend to compare wheels.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
the Inbred said:
Gert Schraner, the author of the Art of Wheelbuilding as well as DT in-house expert, wrote that he didn't believe in using tensionmeters, but then when did try one, he noticed his tensions widely varied, and he started using one regularily.

I am sure you could build one adequately without a tensionmeter (at least I hope so because I don't have one), but my best wheels have been with a tensionmeter and a micrometer.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, i've read both Schraner's and Brandt's books. i wasn't sure if Schraner was just trying to put in another plug for DT or not.