Quantcast

what do you know about DT Swiss hubs/rims?

Sep 19, 2006
Hello all. I am in the middle of building a new bike based around the '06 Kona explosif/ Dedacci steel frame. I've thus far: Chris King headset, Thomson stem, Easton carbon bars, custom? XT SS front crank with an 8 speed shimano cog out back with an XT shifter and SDG ibeam bel air saddle. I will run it on a rigid kona P2 fork.

I'm in need of disc brakes, a chain and a wheel set. I want to build 32 holed mtb disc specific hub (as it is impossible to get rim brakes to fit roadie wheels on an mtb frame) with 700c road rims. I initially thought of going for hope pro2 hubs again (love the noise they make) with either a mavic open pro rim or the CXP33 but then I met a wheel builder who says that he can get Dt Swiss parts cheaper than RRP. He recommended DT Swiss 340 disc hubs on RR1.1 rims.

I don't know a thing about DT Swiss. I know hope are based in the UK and are therefore designed with UK conditions in mind. Can anyone shed some light on this topic and DT Swiss in particular? Are there any other combinations/contenders that can and should be cosidered?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I run DT 4.1d rims and DT Onyx hubs. The rims are great... reasonable weight, plenty strong for me, decent price. The hubs are OK... seemed to wear out faster than my old WTB hubs, but I ride in A LOT of sloppy conditions, and I ride all year long (spring and fall are mudfests, winter is cold/snow).

Just as an aside - DTs support is fantastic, should you ever need it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I've heard great things about DT Swiss rims, but nothing specifically about the 1.1's, though I'm sure they're on par with the rest of the line. I have heard a few negatives, but they're usually from scorn-happy snobs who are just looking for a reason to move onto the next greatest new thing.
As for the hubs, I hear they're not going to crack now, but the engagement is still sub-par. If you want good engagement, you have to go at least with King or Hadley (read $$$, though Hadley isn't as bad). Fortunately that's just the rear though. You'd be quite well off with a DT Swiss front hub I think, but Hope fronts are on sale at Pricepoint (I think) for $75. Maybe your buddy can get them cheaper than that though. As long as you don't mind 20 degrees of rotation before engaging the next tooth in the hub, you'd be find with a DT Swiss hub. But I would think with such a light bike built for pedaling, you'd like something with better engagement. If I were you, I'd get a Hadley w/ 72pt engagement.
Hope that helps, and speaking of Hope, if you're still looking for disc brakes, I have a set of Mono M4's for sale in the classifieds.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have DT swiss hubs 240's on my XC bike and Hugi's on the DH. I love them. I havent had a single problem. Although it's dry here in SoCal, my xc ride has a ton of creek crossings and I did race XC at Mud Otter and Brian Head with no problems; the hubs wre very well-sealed.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i have 240's with the 4.1d rims...but i dont have a bike to put them on at the moment...so i'm not a whole lot of help...but i have heard great things about them..it has some of the quietest pawls(sp) i've ever heard plus they're very light

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
i have 240's with the 4.1d rims...but i dont have a bike to put them on at the moment...so i'm not a whole lot of help...but i have heard great things about them..it has some of the quietest pawls(sp) i've ever heard plus they're very light
The 240's dont actually have pawls, they use a star ratchet that is quiet when new. Over time the grease gets displaced and it gets loud; which I actually like :banana:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have an old set of Hugis(dt) from the late 90's with the star ratchet that are still holding up fine. I also have a newer set of 440's(magura relabeled them as FRs with the bad hub flanges -- just mailed the whole wheel to them and they replaced the hub/relaced the wheel and returned in 10 days. Great customer service.

My hope bulbs(one year old) are holding up great. Easy to service.

Honestly, I can't tell any difference between the two except that the Hopes are louder.

The whole engagement thing is kind of funny. How often do you stop pedaling that you need to have 'instant engagement'? Plus, the whole 20* between is a maximum -- how often is it going to be at the maximum when you go to start pedaling? If I don't make a ledge or other tech feature, it sure isn't because I didn't have instant engagement.

Sep 19, 2006
Thanks all. I'm thinkng hope might be the one. Before any decision is made, I'll fire-off some email to some bike stores for their opinions...

PS I'd preferbly go with the hope mini brakes.