Quantcast

What do YOU think is next for suspension?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
hat you are saying in 4. is already available. Parking lot adjustable geo was featured on some dh bikes and it is available on the new canyon among others.
As I said before - adjustable geometry yes; adjustable at the head tube - no (with a couple of exceptions like Mongoose and VP Varial headset). Most adjustable geometry bikes (I've owned a few) change the geometry via the rear suspension linkage/shock mount. The end result is slackening the bike results in shorter reach. If you instead change angle of the head tube itself you lengthen reach (which is what I'd prefer). I go on road trips where I'll ride in very different places using one bike; so this would be useful to me - it may not matter to you.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
bend your elbows very slightly more in the slack setting.

hope this advice helps on your next road trip

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Pretty much every serial chain breaker I've ever known wasn't breaking them through RAW PWRZ alone. But from repeatedly making poor shifts under load that weakened the chain previous to the AWESUMZ half pedal stroke that ruined their day..

There's just no need to shift under load. my advice would be STOP IT!
Actually most of my broken chains were on a gearbox bike. 7 in a season. (I felt it was alot)

I think some sort of clutch or slip would be cool for loose or tech climbs, when you know all the power would break the wheel loose but you dont want to baby it/crawl. Lots of places around here where you have to crawl up a climb because putting too much power would slip.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
After Hafjell last year everybody knows that chains are highly overrated. The bike wanted to make you a faster rider but you refused it by putting new chains on all the time. Way to ruin good intentions. :disgust: ;)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Nah, chain was exact spec. This brand even gave you the link count. We also cycled it to test. It was sort of weird, none of us could ever figure it out. We unofficially decided it was flex from the alfine but never knew for sure

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Nah, chain was exact spec. This brand even gave you the link count. We also cycled it to test. It was sort of weird, none of us could ever figure it out. We unofficially decided it was flex from the alfine but never knew for sure
I thought I'd give no skid marks a holiday and not shut down his misunderstanding of how load transfer and anti-squat works, then you come in with this. The guy just can't catch a break!

I've been working on a project for less weight and improved reliability, utilising multiple external gears and a mechanism to 'derail' the chain neatly from one gear to another, utilising a lightweight changer mechanism with a short cage. I call it the chain mover 9000+.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I think some sort of clutch or slip would be cool for loose or tech climbs, when you know all the power would break the wheel loose but you dont want to baby it/crawl. Lots of places around here where you have to crawl up a climb because putting too much power would slip.
Um... er... WTF?

Your legs already have that function, combining this with your body positioning to control the available rear wheel grip is already pretty cool.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I thought I'd give no skid marks a holiday and not shut down his misunderstanding of how load transfer and anti-squat works, then you come in with this. The guy just can't catch a break! WTF are you talking about? Demo wasn't disproving what I said or trying to discredit it as far as I could see. The problem is between the sprockets still it would seem, providing the Alfine was set at the same height both sides and all its fittings were tight, presuming they were. So as Demo said, either axle flexing and binding chain or a faulty sprocket. I can't see how even massive flex of the Alfine axle could make the sprocket get far enough out of line to cause fatigue and failure of the chain though. You'd hear something or see wear somewhere. and the chain would be catching on the underside leaving the Alfine also you'd think. Demo9 did you try new secondary drive sprockets on both Alfine and rear wheel? To rule out bad teeth or whatever? Were you using some super narrow 11 speed chain or anything? Was the tensioner set up correctly? Did its jokey wheel spin freely? And inline with sprockets? Misaligned sprockets results in derailment usually, so surprising this hasn't happened, even with axle flex if possible.
The Zerode has no more anti squat than most other bikes. So it wouldn't be cause for excessive chain breaks.

There's also two freehub bodies limiting anti squat chain tensioning a lot of the time.
Demo didn't even state what chain it was breaking, might be the short non anti squat related one. Or perhaps the Alfines bearings were loose or something else was misaligned, something was most likely faulty. I've sold Zerodes and other gearbox bikes for years, broken chains aren't common, I can't even recall hearing of it happening before. Because the chains last so long on a gearbox bike, I think most people probably prematurely replace them anyway. Unless Demo puts out some super human power that exceeds the Alfines axle or something, possible? maybe, common? far from. I can't see any excessive difference in "load transfer" or "anti squat" compared to most other bikes so that shouldn't cause it.
Udi you taint your knowledge and experience with ego and waste what you could offer by being a dick.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
...and I thought Aussies only stole handbags for their contents

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
my alfine S501 on my hybrid bike has 'torque limiter' so it will slip when you put too much power / high ratio, so it's weird to break a chain that often on a zerode.. unless you reuse the pins.. just saying.

anyway the next suspension thingy would be.. hmm.. triple barrel damping with composite springs and single sided swing arm and 7" travel WC downhill race bikes with 27.5+ wheels..

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
my alfine S501 on my hybrid bike has 'torque limiter' so it will slip when you put too much power / high ratio, so it's weird to break a chain that often on a zerode.. unless you reuse the pins.. just saying.

anyway the next suspension thingy would be.. hmm.. triple barrel damping with composite springs and single sided swing arm and 7" travel WC downhill race bikes with 27.5+ wheels..
Thats interesting about the slipping, does it pop when it happens. i had alot of skips on start ramps and pedal sections. Im not that powerful but weigh 225. Maybe too much power/torque on the gate? Although not really meant for the demands of dh I find it hard to believe that i could actually be doing it out of power...

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
WTF are you talking about? Demo wasn't disproving what I said or trying to discredit it as far as I could see. The problem is between the sprockets still it would seem, providing the Alfine was set at the same height both sides and all its fittings were tight, presuming they were. So as Demo said, either axle flexing and binding chain or a faulty sprocket. I can't see how even massive flex of the Alfine axle could make the sprocket get far enough out of line to cause fatigue and failure of the chain though. You'd hear something or see wear somewhere. and the chain would be catching on the underside leaving the Alfine also you'd think. Demo9 did you try new secondary drive sprockets on both Alfine and rear wheel? To rule out bad teeth or whatever? Were you using some super narrow 11 speed chain or anything? Was the tensioner set up correctly? Did its jokey wheel spin freely? And inline with sprockets? Misaligned sprockets results in derailment usually, so surprising this hasn't happened, even with axle flex if possible.The Zerode has no more anti squat than most other bikes. So it wouldn't be cause for excessive chain breaks. There's also two freehub bodies limiting anti squat chain tensioning a lot of the time. Demo didn't even state what chain it was breaking, might be the short non anti squat related one. Or perhaps the Alfines bearings were loose or something else was misaligned, something was most likely faulty. I've sold Zerodes and other gearbox bikes for years, broken chains aren't common, I can't even recall hearing of it happening before. Because the chains last so long on a gearbox bike, I think most people probably prematurely replace them anyway. Unless Demo puts out some super human power that exceeds the Alfines axle or something, possible? maybe, common? far from. I can't see any excessive difference in "load transfer" or "anti squat" compared to most other bikes so that shouldn't cause it. Design something, instead of big noting yourself pointing out trivial differences in designs. Everything is a compromise with sacrifices. Focusing on the small sacrifices of designs without providing better complete package solutions doesn't mean your some genius. Talking about your general attacks on everything, not just attacking me. I can't actually recall you ever proving me wrong dude. Just twisting shit I've said into statements I never made(& now others)or saying the same shit I've said just with fancy words to make out I didn't even say it. You taint your knowledge and experience with ego and waste what you could offer by being a dick.
nah