Quantcast

What do you think of the 05' Specialized Enduro Expert

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
Hey all, I am new to the sport and just purchased my first bike. I went to E-bay against the bike shop guys warnings.So anyway I ended up with the 2005 Enduro Expert. I got it for 900 with shipping. Everything is stock and looks to be in good condition. If anyone has or has had this bike, please let me know what you think. I would love to her some advice as I am a noob. Did i get a good deal or did I hose myself. Thanx!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Your shop guys are just being crybabies.

The bike is heavy but servicable. A few guys from my shop have them and they liked it fine.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
The resale value will stink, but on the positive outlook, it is a great bike to learn on. As you get better you will realize what you want and/or need to replace to let you ride the way you want. Do not listen to people that tell you that your bike is bad because they have the most expensive bike in the universe. The more skill you acquire, the better your setup will need to be.

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
The resale value will stink, but on the positive outlook, it is a great bike to learn on. As you get better you will realize what you want and/or need to replace to let you ride the way you want. Do not listen to people that tell you that your bike is bad because they have the most expensive bike in the universe. The more skill you acquire, the better your setup will need to be.
I know the new bikes go up over 8000. But didnt this bike originally sell for 3000?
I also have read somewhere that the rear 5th element shock was a problem.
So.......so far its heavy and cheap....yuk.. I think I may have screwed up...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's a solid bike. I would ride it until parts fall off and then either replace or upgrade depending on budget and specs.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
ride it and have fun with it. there will always be guys saying you should have got this or that trying to validate what they spent their $$ on. You could have done much much worse. You may find that it suits you really well right out of the box or maybe with some tweaks like different tires or shock you find the sweet spot. if you end up wanting something else put it back up on ebay...no harm no foul

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
good all around bike. got high marks on mtbr i'd say as long as everything works then ride the hell out of it and have fun. you won't be dissapointed
with the 4 bar set up it works well.

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
good all around bike. got high marks on mtbr i'd say as long as everything works then ride the hell out of it and have fun. you won't be dissapointed
with the 4 bar set up it works well.
What is a 4 bar setup? Can you send me a link to that review? Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just ride your bike.

Any more stupid questions like "I just bought a bike - how does it weigh?", and the full wrath of ridemonkey will come down on your head.

No wonder you got crap from the lbs. What was it, Cyclepath, Sun?

splat

Nam I am
An enduro expert . lots of people in this area ride that Bike ( check with BadDNA , IF_rider and Berkshire_rider ) they use it as there XC bike. it is a really good bike , enjoy it
take lots of Pics !

the 4 bar set up is how the read shock connect to the main triangle.

EDIT: also keep an eye on the chain stays that is there weak point.

Last edited:

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
Ok thanks for the stupid blast PRICK.
Example A of " how not to help someone" great job:
Just ride your bike.

Any more stupid questions like "I just bought a bike - how does it weigh?", and the full wrath of ridemonkey will come down on your head.

Example of some one who didnt ride there bike without a seat: An enduro expert . lots of people in this area ride that Bike ( check with BadDNA , IF_rider and Berkshire_rider ) they use it as there XC bike. it is a really good bike , enjoy it
take lots of Pics !

the 4 bar set up is how the read shock connect to the main triangle.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just ride your bike.

What the ****?

Someone is concerned that they may not have made a good purchase and your comment is it's a stupid question?

Are you drunk tonight?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What the ****?

Someone is concerned that they may not have made a good purchase and your comment is it's a stupid question?

Are you drunk tonight?
I might have gotten a little riled because this person is located in my neck of the woods.

But you didn't answer questions either, did you?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Welcome to RideMonkey EasyE.

Your new to you bike will be just fine, ride it and have fun.

Sanjuro gets pissy when the deli runs out of chicken salad, you'll have to excuse him.

If some dude named Damo says he's your new best friend and you should give him all of your credits, don't. Give them to me.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I had one of those.
Rode the HELL out of it.

Loved that bike. Just ride the piss out of it.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
That enduro is a solid bike and a great beginner trail bike. I had a '04 and the thing was solid and dependable.
The 5th is kind of a dead feeling shock, but will work well if set up properly. Definitely download a manual if you didn't get one.
Depending on the condition, you didn't get hosed on the price, and the weight is respectable for sure.
You'll have a lot of fun on that bike.

Advice for using the monkey. There are people who will give you crap and act like they know what you know or what's best for you. Take it with a grain of salt and limit the namecalling.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, just to be clear, no one answered "how much does the bike weigh?" question, did they?

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
Just ride your bike.

btw, just to be clear, no one answered "how much does the bike weigh?" question, did they?
Is "how much does a bike weigh"? really that dumb a question? I never said I had the bike in my possession yet. Not like I can just throw it on the bathroom scale......its still being shipped. Maybe you should just back off and get the hell out of my thread since you are obviously of NO USE OR HELP TO ANY ONE BYE BYE NOW...

P.S The only RIDEMONKEY "Wrath" I have received was from YOU! Everyone else has been really nice and really helpful

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
Sanjaro Example B:
That enduro is a solid bike and a great beginner trail bike. I had a '04 and the thing was solid and dependable.
The 5th is kind of a dead feeling shock, but will work well if set up properly. Definitely download a manual if you didn't get one.
Depending on the condition, you didn't get hosed on the price, and the weight is respectable for sure.
You'll have a lot of fun on that bike.

Advice for using the monkey. There are people who will give you crap and act like they know what you know or what's best for you. Take it with a grain of salt and limit the namecalling.
Thanks for the Info and advice!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
But you didn't answer questions either, did you?
sanjuro said:
Hey asshat, not answering the question or indicating to the poster why their question isn't a good one (as JBP did) is a far cry from calling their question stupid and stating that the entire message board is going to hate him.

It's bad enough to be an arbitrary dick to an established user. Doing it to a new guy is unacceptable - it drives people away from coming back. Don't do it.

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
Overall I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase,assuming it doesn't show up cracked in half or something. I have heard the rear shock may need to be replaced but if its been on there for 4 +years maybe it will be ok? Either way The bike looks sweet and will be NO DOUBT the best bike that I have ever owned so I am pretty excited..Hurry UPS.LOL!
I havent been getting much work lately and I have been kooked up in this little apartment. I can not freaking wait to find me some trails and breath that fresh air!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
That's a solid bike. I would ride it until parts fall off and then either replace or upgrade depending on budget and specs.
:stupid:

Berksire_Rider may have chimed in already, I haven't read the whole thread, but he's been on one for several years now and hasn't had many issues that weren't easily resolved. It's a decent bike, I'm still riding my '04 Enduro (different frame) and don't have any complaints about it either. It'll do what you want it to and is probably capable of a lot more than you are at this point. Bottom line, ride it, replace/upgrade parts when they break and when you're ready for something new, move on.

Edit: Went back and finished the thread. No response yet from BR so I'll see what I can help with. My '04 is pretty much stock and weighs in at 30#. I think BerksireRider's is right around that as well. He's also had the 5th element on his since new with no issues. Just get the manual for it and set it up correctly, you'll be good to go.

Oh, and welcome to the monkey, don't let the riffraff scare you off and you might learn something here.

Last edited:

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
:stupid:

Berksire_Rider may have chimed in already, I haven't read the whole thread, but he's been on one for several years now and hasn't had many issues that weren't easily resolved. It's a decent bike, I'm still riding my '04 Enduro (different frame) and don't have any complaints about it either. It'll do what you want it to and is probably capable of a lot more than you are at this point. Bottom line, ride it, replace/upgrade parts when they break and when you're ready for something new, move on.

Edit: Went back and finished the thread. No response yet from BR so I'll see what I can help with. My '04 is pretty much stock and weighs in at 30#. I think BerksireRider's is right around that as well. He's also had the 5th element on his since new with no issues. Just get the manual for it and set it up correctly, you'll be good to go.

Oh, and welcome to the monkey, don't let the riffraff scare you off and you might learn something here.
Thanks for the advice BadDNA! I Googled the owners manual and came up with this:
http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/manuals/06_Enduro.pdf

I am not sure its the right one though. It looks like mine, but it only says "Enduro" and it looks like maybe its for a 05/06. Couldnt find it directly using Specialized website....If any one has a link for me that would be great.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would guess that bike weighs around 32 stock. I had one, it was a great bike. I'm surprised at the lackluster response here; that generation Enduro was a true "do-it-all" bike. I raced/rode DH on mine and also did some trail riding on it.

The first things to look out for are the chainstays, they tended to crack there. Also, if it has the older Fox 36 Talas those things can get "travel creep" where they slowly lose their full travel. Last thing is that 5th Element shock isn't fantastic, but it can be replaced by a Fox DHX if you want something a little bit more aggressive. Not sure if you can put an RP23 on there or not. Have fun on that thing!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks for the advice BadDNA! I Googled the owners manual and came up with this:
http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/manuals/06_Enduro.pdf

I am not sure its the right one though. It looks like mine, but it only says "Enduro" and it looks like maybe its for a 05/06. Couldnt find it directly using Specialized website....If any one has a link for me that would be great.
You want the manual for the shock, not the bike (well, maybe the bike too). The 5th El shocks are awesome IF set up correctly. It take a little trial and error, but once dialed in, they can be great.