Quantcast

What do you think of this bike?

Rob_P

Chimp
Aug 4, 2002
Altoona, PA
Hi,
I'm just getting back into mountain biking after many years of sitting on my butt in front of a computer.
I'm looking at getting a Trek 4900, or a 6500. I was just wondering the opinion of some more experienced riders on these bikes. Thanks all.

Robert

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
well, here's how i see it, differences between bikes:
6500 has:
better drivetrain
lighter frame
more agressive geometry

the fork is arguably not much better than the fork on the 4900. I think that if you want to get more serious about mountain biking, get the 6500. i tell customers at the shop i work at that the worst thing is to buy a bike and then find out that you really want/need the next model up. buy for what you can afford, but also for what you hope you will do on the bike.

ben.

Rob_P

Chimp
Aug 4, 2002
Altoona, PA
Thanks, Ben

Maybe you can anwer one more question for me.... Does 19.5 inches seem too large for a person that's 5'10''? I rode the 18 and the 19.5 and the 18 seemed small, but they also had the darn seat 5-6 inches lower on it. Thought working in a bike shop, this would be a common place question for you.

Robert

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Rob_P
Thanks, Ben

Maybe you can anwer one more question for me.... Does 19.5 inches seem too large for a person that's 5'10''? I rode the 18 and the 19.5 and the 18 seemed small, but they also had the darn seat 5-6 inches lower on it. Thought working in a bike shop, this would be a common place question for you.

Robert
Not knowing how you're proportioned I can't give a definite answer, but it sounds as if you're squarely within the 18" range. You're supposed to have a lot of standover clearance...

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
unless you have really long arms and/or legs, see if the 18 will fit. the seat should be adjusted so when you put your heel on the pedal, your leg is totally rigid. at this point, you should still have a couple inches before the maximum insertion point on the seatpost. if you don't know what this means, ask the person at the store. did they really not adjust the saddle height for you for a test ride? if so, ask for a different sales person next time, or go to a different store.
so also, make sure that you can comfortably reach the handlebars, you should be able to easily have a bit of a bend in your elbows, and you shouldn't feel like all your weight is resting on your hands too much. equally, you shouldn't have your arms bent too much, your knees shouldn't hit your elbows at the top of your pedal stroke.
hope this helps.

ben.