Quantcast

what do you think the Tr450's price will be?

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
they are still working on pricing for this frame. It is very sweet though we stole Sam's on sunday and everyone that rode it was very stoked on it.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Someone in some inter- or eurobike thread said USA retail price with a Fox DHX RC4 rear shock is $2399.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Yes. Frame with DHX RC4 rear shock and rear axle is $2399 in the USA. Global prices will vary.

There will be a fork and build kit option as well, but spec and price on that is not ready to be released. Frames will be available some time in December, not sure if build kits will be ready right then or not...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
December? Awww.... Stupid lack of patience... Can use as Xmas as an excuse then I suppose...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
untill you compare it to the giant glory for 1600
Yeah.... about that.... I would be willing to bet money that the Transition will fit people better over the glory<IE the large will actually be a large>

Dont get me wrong, the glory fits the bill for alot of people, but We will see how many stick with the glory after the new TR450 hits the market. I mean ****, if as many people think the polished turd of a bike the 951 is so great, man, they really need to get out and ride a bike that doesnt feel like its going to fold underneath them.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
mean ****, if as many people think the polished turd of a bike the 951 is so great, man, they really need to get out and ride a bike that doesnt feel like its going to fold underneath them.
Pull your head out of your ass.

On brighter note, the new Transition is sick. I rode one for a lap a size too big for me and I still really liked it. Great new frame.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I was thinking $2400 was a bit on the high side, also. Just because Intense frames are expensive doesn't mean anything cheaper is a great deal. That's just my opinion, though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Pull your head out of your ass.

On brighter note, the new Transition is sick. I rode one for a lap a size too big for me and I still really liked it. Great new frame.
No head in my ass.... I spent some time on one Yesterday....Def not a bike I would pay for. Rode the large and I seriously felt like I was falling over the front of the bike, knees in the handle bars as end was everywere except were it was supposed to be. Seriously It felt as if the tire was coming up, and to the left as it went through its travel. Didnt feel right at all, like I was just not able to get into a proper attack position, if I leaned into the front, I was hanging over the front axle.....Just couldnt get into feeling stable at all riding it Oh yeah, 40 on the fornt, double barrel on the back. Ill take the Blindside over the "other" Still toying with getting the TR450 for myself though

P.S..... without saying it, others at the demo were stating the same thing before I was done riding.

Last edited:

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
Well I ordered a TR450 frame a couple of weeks ago, it will be great to build up as a replacement to my old Astrix Havoc.
Is there any hints on colours, graphics yet? I'm in the process of pricing up a build kit for it and dont want horribly clashing colours... Something close to the proto white would be good.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Oh yeah, 40 on the fornt, double barrel on the back. Ill take the Blindside over the "other" Still toying with getting the TR450 for myself though
Sounds to me like the bike was not set up for you.

If you want to buy a Taiwan frame for a made-in-the-US price then go ahead....but please don't tell everybody on here later what the heck of a deal you got! Giant shows what a TW frame should cost. Oh sorry, forgot that a slacker HA, switching from a 4-bar suspension to a single pivot and making the frame heavier rises it cost by 800 bucks. :rolleyes:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

If you want to buy a Taiwan frame for a made-in-the-US price then go ahead....but please don't tell everybody on here later what the heck of a deal you got! Giant shows what a TW frame should cost. Oh sorry, forgot that a slacker HA, switching from a 4-bar suspension to a single pivot and making the frame heavier rises it cost by 800 bucks. :rolleyes:
Now what's with the Taiwan frame being an insult. Have you seen the build quality of bikes from pacyfic for example? Evil/Banshee/Canfield and some others.
Actualy Giant doesn't show what a TW frame should cost - the us distri does(the prices vary). Also I wouldn't trush a ~4kg frame (which shock). Also slacker angles? 65 on glory vs 63/64 on the Tranny?
It always puzzless me how people react when one company decides to go on a price war. If there is one thing that is cheaper than the rest of the market that means that verything over it is OMGWTFBBQ expensive. 2399$ is still a lot less than 3/4 of DH Specyfic frames on the market from a rider own company that has a very good repuation. Look at half the bikes in here and tell me 2399$ isn't less than the cost of the frames on them...
Actualy how many bikes are cheaper than the TR? Yeti 303R without the taper, Corsair (by 100$), Glory and Demo(not sure)? What else cuz that doesn't look like much for me.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I checked out a large 951 at Interbike. As with my old M3, and the Large M3's I've ridden, it ran way small.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Now what's with the Taiwan frame being an insult. Have you seen the build quality of bikes from pacyfic for example? Evil/Banshee/Canfield and some others.
I never argued the quality of the frames.

Actualy Giant doesn't show what a TW frame should cost - the us distri does(the prices vary). Also I wouldn't trush a ~4kg frame (which shock). Also slacker angles? 65 on glory vs 63/64 on the Tranny?
I would, especially from a company that produces most other mfgs frames. Would you trust a Trek?
Don't start the HA discussion, people have different preferences. I know, it is not cool to ride a steeper HA bike anymore, but some people can ride them pretty fast, ya know. ;)

It always puzzless me how people react when one company decides to go on a price war. If there is one thing that is cheaper than the rest of the market that means that verything over it is OMGWTFBBQ expensive. 2399$ is still a lot less than 3/4 of DH Specyfic frames on the market from a rider own company that has a very good repuation.
Specialized is rider owned too as are many other brands. So you fall for the marketing? The real distinction is if they make everything in house or not. And they don't, in contrast to Nicolai, Foes, Intense, Morewood....

Look at half the bikes in here and tell me 2399$ isn't less than the cost of the frames on them...
Actualy how many bikes are cheaper than the TR? Yeti 303R without the taper, Corsair (by 100$), Glory and Demo(not sure)? What else cuz that doesn't look like much for me.
Banshee is cheaper too. But my point is that they are not the bargain that the companies try us to believe they are.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Don't start the HA discussion, people have different preferences. I know, it is not cool to ride a steeper HA bike anymore, but some people can ride them pretty fast, ya know.
Read my post again. Did I intend to start the HA discussion? Not really but you claimed that giant is slacker so I corrected you. Also you claimed it was an advantage.

Specialized is rider owned too as are many other brands. So you fall for the marketing? The real distinction is if they make everything in house or not. And they don't, in contrast to Nicolai, Foes, Intense, Morewood....
You really don't see the differance between spec and ie. banshee or canfield? When was the last time you didn't get a bull**** pr response when you asked something from one of the big MFGs? I was quite a long time for me. I talking about rider owned gravity oriented companies with half the gimmicky bling blong 110% bettar pedal efficient.
Also are those companies really any better than TW produced bikes? I could think of quite a few reasons every one of those companies is not the greatests example why you should pay more for the in house. Also what is the real benefit of building frames like that for the end rider besides the bling factor? You may wait shorter if your frame needs to be warrantied I don't plan my frames to fall apart when I buy them.

Banshee is cheaper too. But my point is that they are not the bargain that the companies try us to believe they are.
Well the uk price is low but I doubt it will be as low as 2399$. Also as Hecktastic said - last time they were to be around 3k in us.

I would, especially from a company that produces most other mfgs frames. Would you trust a Trek?
You overestimate the build quality and underestimate the design. Also I wouldn't trust Trek.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Hmmm...

1) We set out to make a very dependable bike that rides great. We were by no means looking to make the cheapest bike, nor the lightest. Reasonable weight, reasonable price; great performance and durability.

2) At $2399, yes you can buy cheaper bikes, but you can also buy a lot of bikes that cost a little (or a lot) more. But regardless of price, I think the TR450 will be one of the best riding, best looking bikes on the market. And even better, you will be able to trust that it is built straight and it won't break on you in the first season.

Happy trails!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Hmmm...

1) We set out to make a very dependable bike that rides great. We were by no means looking to make the cheapest bike, nor the lightest. Reasonable weight, reasonable price; great performance and durability.

2) At $2399, yes you can buy cheaper bikes, but you can also buy a lot of bikes that cost a little (or a lot) more. But regardless of price, I think the TR450 will be one of the best riding, best looking bikes on the market. And even better, you will be able to trust that it is built straight and it won't break on you in the first season.

Happy trails!
Get the **** off the bike forums! Only Thad should be on bike forums while on honeymoon!

Love you lots

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I checked out a large 951 at Interbike. As with my old M3, and the Large M3's I've ridden, it ran way small.
Thank you, I am glad to hear I am not the only that thought this.

:
Kinda hard to set the bike up perfect for me at a demo day.... didnt think they would be willing to bust out a welder and add a few inches of length to the top tube and downtube.......It may say large.... but it seriously felt like I was riding a small frame bike.

Oh and since we are on the topic, I was asked how I liked it, I told him how the rear end felt...... His responce scared me specially for a bike of this price range.

the responce......Oh the link must have bent whent he last guy crashed it.

For the price, it should hold up to a crash, trust me, there was nothing at Temecula that should have been able to damage the bike itself.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
If you had used a Demo as an example of a good bike for less than boutique prices then I'd have agreed with you but the 2010 Glory is the biggest pile of utterly useless sh1t that has ever hit the market. Some bikes from smaller brands (irrespective of where they are built) deserve a higher price tag because of extensive R&D or the ingenuity of the designer. The Summum would be in that group as probably would the Revolt etc.

I'm not sure the TR450 is that group but it looks good on paper so lets wait and see.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I have to say that I have owned top shelf DH bikes for the past 6-7 years, I've worked with bikes for longer and have had the opportunity to ride tons of different high end bikes. The 951 I'm riding currently feels as good of a bike as any of them.

I feel more "in the bike" than I have with most bikes I've owned and/or ridden, it tracks well and mine is still straight even with a few hard crashes/cases, etc at 250lbs naked.

The TT of my medium 951 also feels a good half->full inch longer than my medium DHR did, but maybe the larges are smaller than the mediums??

Not every bike is for every rider. The 951 requires a little more english - it's the snappy bike from Intense. If you want the more sedated bike, they make the M6. For me, I like quick bikes so while I could have bought the M6, I bought the 951 instead.

It's not a case of justifying my purchase either. Even my 08 DHR that I absolutely loved I flipped in a year. I flip all my bikes because I like owning something nice and new and bikes are the only nice thing I can afford (not cars, houses, booze, women). I'm definitely not afraid to admit when I've bought a dud. And the truth is, I'll probably own a TR450 at some point, and a Revolt, and a DW DHR, and something else new and cool. They're all going to be/are amazing riding bikes from companies that I like to see around making sweet ****.

It's cool, man! We're just getting to the point where bmx/snowboarding/MX is already - where if you spend decent money from a reputable company run by people who care, you're going to have a tough time buying a dud. Transition has always cared, and they're maturing into a great bike company these days with the experience they've acquired over the years. I'm sure they will soon be (if not already) the Taiwanese Turner - the company that builds refined, well thought out bikes with a ton of attention to detail and concern for the customer...nothing amazingly revolutionary - more evolutionary...you know - the kind of bike that is nice to own for a long time.

(remember, you never get a revolution right the first time).

And in the end, remember your bike is just a tool to go riding. It's not about the bike, it's about that most epic shralp/shred/kill whatever the **** you call it - the down part!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Kinda hard to set the bike up perfect for me at a demo day.... didnt think they would be willing to bust out a welder and add a few inches of length to the top tube and downtube.......It may say large.... but it seriously felt like I was riding a small frame bike.

Oh and since we are on the topic, I was asked how I liked it, I told him how the rear end felt...... His responce scared me specially for a bike of this price range.

the responce......Oh the link must have bent whent he last guy crashed it.

For the price, it should hold up to a crash, trust me, there was nothing at Temecula that should have been able to damage the bike itself.
I think it is really great that you can do a full evaluation and give us your honest opinion on a bike that was too small for you and that was damaged in a crash. Great review! :rolleyes:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I think it is really great that you can do a full evaluation and give us your honest opinion on a bike that was too small for you and that was damaged in a crash. Great review! :rolleyes:
But But But......It was a large, to my knowledge, they dont make it in an extra large......Guess that means you cant be 6.1 and ride a 951 then???

The whole pouint about mentioning the crash......Is taht I would hope the bike would have held up better.

Not slamming Intense...Just the 951 is all. I look forward to see what they come up with for next year.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Turner also says that someone 6' tall could ride a Medium DHR. I also think they smoke crackrocks or they hate their customers kneecaps and lower backs.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
A bike not fitting you is not really a legitimate criticism, just means it's not the bike for you. I thought the suspension of my V10 worked great, but the medium felt way too small in the wheelbase for my taste and the large was too big in the tt. If I was a little taller or had longer arms the large would have been perfect. Such is life, just means the V10 wont work for one person. Especially if you're tall, you have to know that your options will be limited.

2400 for the Transition isn't out of hand, still cheaper than most. However, some other comments are correct that it better be dialed when it comes to market if it's going to cost more than a glory or demo 8. That means better finish quality than all preceding Transitions, and better reliability than the Blindside. Those other Taiwanese frames I just mentioned are supported with lifetime or 5 year warranties, and although both are new models for 2010, the previous generations were extremely durable. So I would say a little cheaper would be nice, but would be way more concerned about how good the bike is. For me, proper fit and geometry carries a lot more weight than a couple hundred bucks. Thanks to exchange rates, my Commencal is not the cheapest bike out there, nor is it perfect in terms of quality, but I would take it over any other bike on the market because I love the geo, the suspension, and the rigidity of the bike.

verticult

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
the import bikes are better now than ever and perfectly suitable for most riders. They are almost free when purchased in quantity so the brand can ship plenty of replacements as needed. In the case of a frame breaking on a import bike it's usually an engineering or material issue, not a weld flaw. The brand will be aware and should have plenty of replacements available.

If you are ripping, you need to inspect and replace anyway. If you are looking for a reliable machine, talk to several top experts in person. They buy their own bikes, have lots of experience and are trying hard to ride faster and move up. No matter how big or small the brand is, they can still make mistakes. Simply put, own the bike you want and change as needed to suit your needs.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
the import bikes are better now than ever and perfectly suitable for most riders. They are almost free when purchased in quantity so the brand can ship plenty of replacements as needed. In the case of a frame breaking on a import bike it's usually an engineering or material issue, not a weld flaw. The brand will be aware and should have plenty of replacements available.

If you are ripping, you need to inspect and replace anyway. If you are looking for a reliable machine, talk to several top experts in person. They buy their own bikes, have lots of experience and are trying hard to ride faster and move up. No matter how big or small the brand is, they can still make mistakes. Simply put, own the bike you want and change as needed to suit your needs.

Excellent note there. Any bike you have should be inspected before and after each ride for normal wear, and possible damage.

The note about those buying there own bikes.....I sell Trek, Giant, and Speccy.... But for myself, I purchased a Transition... Whats that tell you?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
The note about those buying there own bikes.....I sell Trek, Giant, and Speccy.... But for myself, I purchased a Transition... Whats that tell you?[/QUOTE]

Transition gave you the best price!!!:weee: