Quantcast

What do you think?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Is this schedule do-able? All of these would be solo 24s.

June 16th - Hardcore24, Cutler, NY
July 14th - 24 Hours of Pats Peak, NH
August 25th - 24 hours of Allamuchy, NJ OR August 11th - 24 hours of Great Glen, NH (more expensive :( )
September 15th - Churn n' Burn 24, Ashford CT

I'd love to do a fun team event too, but we'll see...this racing thing is getting expensive ;)

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I think it is, but what do I know. I have never raced solo. I do have a goal to do a solo race before I turn 40 though. Good luck with all of them. I'll be at Pat's Peak doing either a 12 hours duo again or 24 hours team.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You can always adjust it as you go. 24 hour racing is tough on your body no matter how prepared you are. It certainly is doable, give it a shot!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for the replies. I figured I will plan on those 4 (about 1 per month) and see how it goes. I can always adjust, but I thought it best to air on the conservative side for my first race season. My first 2 planned races are tough...lots of climbing, but then I have monkeyfest to relax and have fun before the next round of torture :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Doing that many 24's in a year can be really hard mentally. Everyone is different but it is tough to stay motivated, it might become too much like work. I'd recommend replacing one or two of the 24's with a 6 or 12 hour or maybe a duo/tam effort to keep things different and fun.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Doing that many 24's in a year can be really hard mentally. Everyone is different but it is tough to stay motivated, it might become too much like work. I'd recommend replacing one or two of the 24's with a 6 or 12 hour or maybe a duo/tam effort to keep things different and fun.
That's what I was wondering about. I think my body will be fine, but I still want to keep enjoying my bike. There is a 12 hour race in August and 6 HOP too that could be subbed. :think: I was even considering the Burn 24 in May for a fun season opener :D

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
hi, I've been doing 24 hour races for the past 3 years. One a month is doable, if you give yourself enough recovery in between races. AND! You have a really good support person.

We were a 4 women team at 24 hours of Allamuchy, but we have a couple of teammates running solo. We all camped together and had a group cook, bike mech, and time & detail manager. Having friends help is your greatest asset. Besides, they enjoy the victory too! Good Luck in all your endevors!

splat

Nam I am
Killington is expensive and the same weekend as Monkeyfest.
actually Killington Moved there date. when They herd Monkeyfest was taht weekend, they moved it to the following weekend ( the 28, 29 ).

actually it was because they were going Head to Head with the Norba Nats at Mt snow . and yes Killing ton is Pricey especilly for Solo's and Duos' not quite as bad on the 5 person.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
actually Killington Moved there date. when They herd Monkeyfest was taht weekend, they moved it to the following weekend ( the 28, 29 ).

actually it was because they were going Head to Head with the Norba Nats at Mt snow . and yes Killing ton is Pricey especilly for Solo's and Duos' not quite as bad on the 5 person.
I just saw that! July is proving to be quite busy for me. I have an iron in the fire to run a clinic and to race and monkeyfest...doubt I would be able to add Killington in :( Maybe as a team though :think:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Treesaw, what would you say was the most difficult thing about doing a solo 24? What would you do differently now that you've done one?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Treesaw, what would you say was the most difficult thing about doing a solo 24? What would you do differently now that you've done one?
Well, I think the hardest part for me was lack of good training and the conditions (really muddy). My body was good but my mind was tired. When I do mine this year, I plan to have ridden quite a bit more than last year and hopefully get more rest leading up to my events. I was very consciencious about pacing myself and not going out hard and riding fast because I knew I hadn't trained nearly enough to be competative.

I would defintely suggest to anyone doing their first to go out with basic (and I do mean basic) goals and not to expect too much because your body does strange things at 3am when you're out riding your bike again ;) My goal was to enter and finish. At 6am Splat informed me that I could beat the guy who was just ahead of me so my goal altered a bit to doing 10 laps in order to beat him. Thankfully I had excellent support and I did it. :D

glowbug

Chimp
Jul 4, 2005
I am trying to find information on the 2007 Willamette race. Did it change from 11 miles a loop to 14? Even a link to a great write up would be nice. Maybe it is just too early for 2007 information. Point me in the right direction please.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The Darkhorse 40 at Stewart Buffer Zone in Newberg NY

Holiday Farm marathon Mtn bike race on the Root66raceseries.com
I signed up for the darkhorse last year, but I spent the day of the race(and the next 3 days) in the hospital

not sure if I should plan to go this year

but I will be at the HF marathon