Quantcast

What do you think?

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
I have an image here that I need an educated guess on. Yes, I cut the fork, headset and bars out of the image, because they were a distraction form what I am looking for.

Assuming that the bike will take an 1 1/8" threadless stem, (based on the geometry shown) what do you think the biggest fork travel should be on this bike?

If you already know what bike this is, please don't ruin it for others!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I can take a pic of any bike and make it seem that it has any head angle I want. How about telling us the size of the wheels, BB height, hardtail or fully, and wheelbase. Also... manufacturers spec out what the longest crown to axle height is for a specific frame. Going beyond those specs is VERY DANGEROUS.

Need more information...

btw... it looks like a IH warrior/maverick or mkIII

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you use a longer travel fork than what a manufacturer recommends, it tweaks the geometry to the point that it can be dangerous. It also may void the warranty in the instance of a frame failure.

Bottom line, if you put a fork that is longer travel than what the frame was designed for, you do so at your own risk.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
ultraNOOB speak da truf! I don't really stray from the designated AC on a frame. One of these days I need to put up my geo-calculator on a file sharing site.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I'd take you up on that! How large is it? I might be able to host it for you...
Not all that big. But to be honest it's not very glamours. I can't even write in MATLAB without an extreme level of vulgarty, let along a true programing language. It's crass and makes merchant marines cry. So I did it in excel to save the agony.
But if you'd like I'd be more than willing to pass it along.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
who cares? excel is a much more powerful tool than most people are aware of. I've actually read some blogs online that a few video game designers are exploring using it as the basis for a rendering engine...

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Alright. I apologize for asking. I wasn't sure how bad it was to go beyond what the manufacturer recommended. I guess I assumed that they put the suggested maximum travel allowance way below what the frame would handle. Thanks for the answers.
:wave: