Quantcast

What do you want in PISGAH? Vote or shut the hell up!

2bFluid

Chimp
Mar 2, 2012
vote.jpg

I just copied this from another site hoping to get more aggressive riders input. It takes all of 1 minute.

Pisgah Area SORBA » Blog Archive » Pisgah Area Trail Evaluation User Input Survey

The United States Forest Service is developing a Non-Motorized Trails Strategy for how the trails we ride and love are managed. We are very lucky that they are doing this as a collaborative effort with users. Pisgah Area SORBA wants to do the best it can to represent all aspects of the mountain biking public. As such, we have developed an online survey to make it possible for as many people as possible to contribute.

The intent of this survey is to give all Pisgah area trail users an opportunity to contribute to the position PAS will take in upcoming trails collaborative meetings. The designated representative:thumb: WILL take into account survey results when engaged in the collaborative process.

This survey is not intended to address all phases of the Non-Motorized Trail Strategy. It is only intended to guide the PAS perspective on what users want out of our trails. The reality is we know three distinct actions will occur out of the Non-Motorized Trail Strategy:

1) All system trails will be freshly surveyed with detailed GPS data.
2) All current system trails will have specification sheets that dictate how trail maintenance occurs. These specification sheets are set by already determined national standards.
3) Some kind of trail “master plan” will be developed. The contents of this master plan are where we can hope to have the most influence.

Any other actions would strictly be a bunch of “maybes” or ” if there’s money” possibilities. We hope for the best and believe the USFS has great intentions, but everyone needs to understand the reality of the Non-Motorized Trail Strategy process. If you want more information, please visit the USFS web-page related to the non-motorized trail strategy here: National Forests in North Carolina - Home

You can also e-mail specific concerns to the Trail Evaluation committee at teicadvocate@pisgahareasorba.com

Thanks for participating and TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE THE SURVEY! Maximum user input is the goal of this document.

ALL QUESTIONS ACCEPT MULTIPLE ANSWERS, PLEASE SELECT ALL CHOICES THAT APPLY FOR YOU!

Click here to take Survey

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
View attachment 110324

I just copied this from another site hoping to get more aggressive riders input. It takes all of 1 minute.

Pisgah Area SORBA » Blog Archive » Pisgah Area Trail Evaluation User Input Survey

The United States Forest Service is developing a Non-Motorized Trails Strategy for how the trails we ride and love are managed. We are very lucky that they are doing this as a collaborative effort with users. Pisgah Area SORBA wants to do the best it can to represent all aspects of the mountain biking public. As such, we have developed an online survey to make it possible for as many people as possible to contribute.

The intent of this survey is to give all Pisgah area trail users an opportunity to contribute to the position PAS will take in upcoming trails collaborative meetings. The designated representative:thumb: WILL take into account survey results when engaged in the collaborative process.

This survey is not intended to address all phases of the Non-Motorized Trail Strategy. It is only intended to guide the PAS perspective on what users want out of our trails. The reality is we know three distinct actions will occur out of the Non-Motorized Trail Strategy:

1) All system trails will be freshly surveyed with detailed GPS data.
2) All current system trails will have specification sheets that dictate how trail maintenance occurs. These specification sheets are set by already determined national standards.
3) Some kind of trail “master plan” will be developed. The contents of this master plan are where we can hope to have the most influence.

Any other actions would strictly be a bunch of “maybes” or ” if there’s money” possibilities. We hope for the best and believe the USFS has great intentions, but everyone needs to understand the reality of the Non-Motorized Trail Strategy process. If you want more information, please visit the USFS web-page related to the non-motorized trail strategy here: National Forests in North Carolina - Home

You can also e-mail specific concerns to the Trail Evaluation committee at teicadvocate@pisgahareasorba.com

Thanks for participating and TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE THE SURVEY! Maximum user input is the goal of this document.

ALL QUESTIONS ACCEPT MULTIPLE ANSWERS, PLEASE SELECT ALL CHOICES THAT APPLY FOR YOU!

Click here to take Survey

Pisgah was just fine before PAS and it will still be there after PAS. Go back to MTBR with this whiny crap!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Had already done this but thanks for reposting. To the guy up there, stfu. At least they're asking for your input. If anyone else feels that way, take the survey and tell them yourself. There's a reason you got banned from mtbr dude.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Had already done this but thanks for reposting. To the guy up there, stfu. At least they're asking for your input. If anyone else feels that way, take the survey and tell them yourself. There's a reason you got banned from mtbr dude.
Aw muley don't get mad, PAS members have spammed the NC/SC forum on MTBR with 90% of the post being from them and 2bFluid signed up 2 days ago and posted this spammy message and you jump to his defense?
PAS has dumbed down every trail they have done "Maintenance" on....I guess some of the riders on here need easier trails :rant:

You going to Clemson today? I am, I hope to see you there.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
I did the vote/survey; the good or nice part about the survey was the downhill, gravity or enduro questions, at least which were in there. Yes, some of the trails are getting dumb-ed down, like K Trail or what I call the "K Bike Park Trail". I understand the need for the trails to stay technical for those of us that have skills, wanting to improve on our skills and just know how to ride a big bike, so keep certain trails that way. Just a thought, maybe a signage posting something like, mtns bikers at high speeds use this trail. I think that there should be a section or area like the "some no name trail area" area left for Freeride, Downhill, Gravity and Enduro trails. "some no name trail area" is in away isolated and has a good road for shuttling. I have talked with the forest service about maintaining the trails in such a 'no name trail area" and the only way to be able to do such is to join a trail group, such as PAS. My thought on that is to form a new Mtn Bike association just for the freeride, downhill, gravity and enduro side of the ride. Yea, I know a group to protect the technical trails for those of use that enjoy that type of riding, it will be worth the time and effort to save trails, improve the trails and educated about these styles of riding.

Last edited:

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
[quoteMy thought on that is to form a new Mtn Bike association just for the freeride, downhill, gravity and enduro side of the ride][/quote]

In the works!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm of the mind that we could join PAS and act as our own separate sub-group or wing of the chapter with gravity specific trail protection in mind. PAS is pretty swamped with their own workload, but if we join PAS with the specific goal and work under their banner, we stand a better chance of securing directional trail access.

It was kicked around a few years back about this, but the group of riders who were up for it were still pretty few (publicly). I think we've all taken a big step the past 2-3 years and are developing a better contingent of eloquent and passionate gravity "activists". Plus we have the precedents being set on the West Coast by other gravity clubs partnering with the FS.

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Why form a new group?

If you want PAS or Upstate SoRba or any other SOrBa/iMbA group to start supporting the gravity side of things then join and start making yourselves known. They already have the contacts and support network in place.

I know that our chapter is more of weekend warrior type and not really into the gravity side but they are interested in Mountain Bikes Across the board. You want to work on the Gravity/Freeriders side of things then volunteer for trail days and support your parks and land managers. That does not mean showing up somewhere to ride, it means taking care of the trails and making a visible presence that can be seen over the long term.

All I am saying is the Georgia SORBA started SOFA a sub chapter for SORBA. They operated as their own entity but used SorBa/ImBa for their support. If a Freeriders Gravity Group is what is needed then use the resources that are already there.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Why form a new group?
As much I as applaud what SORBA has done for cycling. The constant change of leadership having some members pro gravity racing and others against gravity racing is not in the best interest of gravity riders. A leadership board comprised of nothing but gravity riders is in the best interest of our riders. Money associated with the new group will be going to gravity events and not to other causes. SORBA has done alot and we are very appreciative but we all know the resistances associated when it comes to DH, Freeride, Urban and DJ. For example I cant imagine SORBA wanting to be any part of a slopestlye comp with a 20' drop in to start. Im sure certain projects will need all organizations to work together and we will gladly do so.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
You want to work on the Gravity/Freeriders side of things then volunteer for trail days and support your parks and land managers.
We did by getting a ton of people to show up at the last Paris trail day. The effort from GE was organized by a downhiller and his wife works at REI (also a DHer) the other large supporter of the last trail day. Close to 80 people were at that event. I have never seen that kind of turn out before. There has been and will continue to be more gravity riders coming out to support our local areas but if they get no support in return (in the form of trails designed for them) the numbers will dwindle. No one wants this to be a competion between SORBA and the new group. We just want a group totally dedicated to gravity sports in general and representing their interest 100% of the time

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
I 100% agree and could get many Clt area riders to join. It would be nice if we could have some kind of a sub group though it would be much easier.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
As much I as applaud what SORBA has done for cycling. The constant change of leadership having some members pro gravity racing and others against gravity racing is not in the best interest of gravity riders. A leadership board comprised of nothing but gravity riders is in the best interest of our riders. Money associated with the new group will be going to gravity events and not to other causes. SORBA has done alot and we are very appreciative but we all know the resistances associated when it comes to DH, Freeride, Urban and DJ. For example I cant imagine SORBA wanting to be any part of a slopestlye comp with a 20' drop in to start. Im sure certain projects will need all organizations to work together and we will gladly do so.
Not sure if I've met you Matt, but thanks for the post - its alot more tactful than I could have stated

ryan12210

Chimp
Oct 14, 2007
All I am saying is the Georgia SORBA started SOFA a sub chapter for SORBA. They operated as their own entity but used SorBa/ImBa for their support. If a Freeriders Gravity Group is what is needed then use the resources that are already there.

I think most people who were involved in SOFA can vouch for the fact that it was supported by gravity riders. There were a couple people in Ellijay SORBA who were instrumental in getting the trail built at Carters Lake. The second that SOFA became tied to SORBA, it died because most riders didn't want to pay dues to SORBA because they don't feel the group represents them. In my experience, the vast majority of people who are involved in SORBA have a negative view of gravity riding and technical trail features. This is from over 10 years experience helping maintain trails and going to work parties organized by GA SORBA. I can't really tell you why this is the case, it's just my observation, but I definitely see a case for an organization being dedicated to gravity riding. I'm not saying SORBA is all bad by any means. In fact it seems like they are slowly turning around, at least here in GA. A good example being the trail they let Ethan build at blankets creek. I just think that gravity riders having their own organization which works with SORBA on some projects is the best way to advocate gravity riding without getting bogged down in SORBA's politics.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
A completely seperate group will be a failure, as they almost always are. Look around the country at the "Freeride" areas and DH trails. They are almost never effectively managed by a completely seperate group, but rather a smart organized faction of the larger group WITH the existing connections and resources. If you get as many people as you think you can you could effectively steer SORBA. After all it is a relatively small organization.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Not sure which SORBA chapters you guys are hanging around that hate downhillers but my chapter is pretty effin' cool. Not like they put on the only DH race in SC or anything...

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
matt,

i understand your what you are saying. i am just saying the more gravity guys you get to join Sorba, the more we can support the gravity side of things. A year ago I would be right there with you. With helping get the Paris Mtn Race back up and going and rebuilding the relationship that the Sorba chapter had with the park, my views have changed about the group and what they stand for. Without the help of some key players in the club the race would not happen. THey are more open to the Gravity side than you think. Its just takes showing up to the meetings to hear about what is going on. you can also voice your side weather you are a paying member or not. I did and I was not a paying member, yet i am now and will pay to renew my membership this year. I think right now there are just as many Downhillers in the group as are non-dh ladies and gents. at least with Mulestar recent membership. Invade the group.

As for Paris Mtn, I am thankful that you, Jay, and Heather are playing pivotal roles with helping to organize the trail day work. I look forward to your continued support.

Whens the next dig day at your house?

park baker

Chimp
Aug 31, 2010
brevard
The language with which you construct any new chapters modus operandi should be carefully written.

I would advise that you leave out anything that has anything to do with racing downhill at all. The speeds attained are frightening to most other forest users, especially people who don't know that you are in complete control of your bicycle.

If you want to get in good with SORBA, the FS, etc...go to the next PAS or Upstate SORBA meeting. The guy's down the hill are a bit more open to progressive riding and ideas, but that will trickle uphill eventually.

You also need to think about how you are going to attract younger people. As far as I know, Mueller and his App State crew are the youngest people in the area who are actually involved in trail work. There is a serious problem with getting young people involved when they have to join an organization that is spearheaded by people they don't respect.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
..You also need to think about how you are going to attract younger people. As far as I know, Mueller and his App State crew are the youngest people in the area who are actually involved in trail work. There is a serious problem with getting young people involved when they have to join an organization that is spearheaded by people they don't respect.
Lots of kids being drug out by parents for trail work can fix this. :D

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
It is not so much as in want to "race" gravity, but to have a place to train for racing. Having trails for gravity, endro, super-d that are technical have good descents, some climbing, and flat sections. A group that is formed to active a true "gravity" trial and maybe work towards holding events.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Thanks everyone for the supporting ideas and guidance. We love the effort that SORBA has made in our area. No matter how many gravity riders we get to join it will always be an organization oriented more towards XC as the majority of riders in most areas are XC riders with no interest in gravity. We will always be the punks that come flying down the trails ruining the climbing efforts of other XC riders. We will continue to support SORBA efforts in maintaining and building trails. We will continue to develop our association with our own goals in mind. As for the naysayers, this group is not for you. Please come out and support the next Paris Mountain trail day on the 24th. I will be there as well as the whole team

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
[quoteNot sure which SORBA chapters you guys are hanging around that hate downhillers but my chapter is pretty effin' cool. Not like they put on the only DH race in SC or anything...][/quote]

The same one you are. Wouldn't it be nice if the money that came from Gravity races went to new gravity projects and not to an organization with other ideas in mind (albeit some good ones) or to the friends of Paris Mtn for example. We will not be an anti-SORBA group but a pro-gravity group. Any one who would like to discuss this face to face is welcome to come build on my personal trail, the next time we have a trail day

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
That money goes to continuing the race and is set aside for a race every year. What ever is left over is disbursed where the event promoters see fit. The Paris Mtn. DH Race is about giving back. The Paris MTN event promoters have complete say where that money goes at it is not a SOrba race. Upstate Sorba is a sponsor just like BIlly Goat Bikes. All efforts for putting on the event are orchestrated from non gravity people and our main volunteer support comes from non gravity, non SorBA volunteers. Yes it would be nice for the event to give to the Gravity Side. Get some gravity things going in the upstate besides Clemson and Paris Mtn. DH Race and we would be happy to help. Even getting your Non-Profit Gravity Group rolling. We would be glad to help with that. I am with you on the Pro-Gravity, I just think there is strength in numbers and a lot of the leg work is already in place with SorBa/IMba. Show up to a meeting and pitch your point of view. In this area you got to get up to get down and for now there are very few lifts and legal shuttle runs to aid you getting up.

MAybe start out with Sorba guys and then once the gravity group is able to stand on their own, fly the coop and spread your wings.

Would Love to hold a DH Race in the Cliffs Communities. Glassy or Valley. Give portion of the proceeds to the HOA. You know who I am talking too.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I for one really appreciate what the upstate sorba guys have done for DH at Paris. I have seen guys like Jarret and Brad out there constantly digging on the dh course even though they don't even ride DH. Think about that for a second. A group of guys who do not participate in our sport, put on an awesome well ran event and deal with all the hassles of having to deal with a state park and race promotion. More power to them. And they are not exactly "makin' it rain" with all that money that make for promoting a race. IMO, a group that makes any dough off of putting on a good dh race for me can spend the money on whatever in the hell they want.
Thanks for everything.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
This idea is not meant to bash SORBA in any way they have done a ton for gravity racing in this area. With that being said me and my cohorts are not interested in being a subgroup of SORBA or an organization that mirrors them, that makes no sense. We are not interested in copying the SORBA bylaws and changing the name. We have different goals in mind in the long run. We are not trying to take over the gravity side of SORBA. We would like everyone to support them and us. If you would like to see some true DH, super-d, 4X and slopestyle tracks, I hope you will give us a chance. Anyone who has been to my properties knows what I am talking about. I will be at the trail day this weekend if anyone would like to discuss this in person.

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Word. Let me know how I can help. Like I said the Paris Mtn. Dh Race gives back. Can't make it saturday. Got to get ready for the 111k. Will get up with you soon.