Quantcast

What does a new zee derailleur look like after 3 PNW shuttle days?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I have the DH ( 36t - i believe ) version and just ran the cassette Universal sold me. So there could be some incompatibility there because now that you mention it the cassette there looks like a 34/36t and not the smaller 28. I think they only had the 11-34 version in-stock and aside from a close ratio of the rear cassette I didnt see any reason to order the other over running the one they had. Universal has the records so tomorrow i'll verify that when I stop it. Good call there, it was a case of I want one of your Zee's (my saint blew up while in whistler) and i need a chain and cassette. when i went into UC.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
My Zee RD is holding up fine so far, but the shifter's lower case has gone missing in action. Now the shifter's internal are exposed and dirty after use, so I changed it with saint, which has better design but too expensive (compared to similar XT) IMHO.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
My zee shifter lower cover did that as well 1st ride. Shimano to their credit sent me a whole new shifter. I sent my fed up rear derailleur back and shimano warrantied it. 2nd day in whistler no crashes my new zee started doing the same thing the old one did. Go figure.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Since this thread was started I stuck a Zee on my hardtail trail bike.

I have the FR version, which is the 11-36 range. (If you have the DH version, it is only good up to 28T)

And I'm running a 11-36T cassette.

On the 36T cog, the lower cage is stretched straight out to the maximum.

On the 11T cog, the chain is just barely tight.

I had to get my chain length just right to even accomplish this...there is a tolerance of exactly 0 links.

In my opinion shimano has designed the cage too short. Seems like a very obvious oversight on Shimano's part...

I am going to check my little bracket thing to make sure they sent me the FR one and not the DH one after reading this link (http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=1850).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Since this thread was started I stuck a Zee on my hardtail trail bike.

I have the FR version, which is the 11-36 range. (If you have the DH version, it is only good up to 28T)

And I'm running a 11-36T cassette.

On the 36T cog, the lower cage is stretched straight out to the maximum.

On the 11T cog, the chain is just barely tight.

I had to get my chain length just right to even accomplish this...there is a tolerance of exactly 0 links.

In my opinion shimano has designed the cage too short. Seems like a very obvious oversight on Shimano's part...

I am going to check my little bracket thing to make sure they sent me the FR one and not the DH one after reading this link (http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=1850).
I have the same problem, though I installed it on a Mojo HD. I've had to limit out the 11t cog in order to not get too much slack. I have an SLX GS to install if this turns out not to work for me.

I have to say, the Saint shifter is brilliant. So light, smooth and precise. I friggin' love the thing.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've run a short chain and broken them a few times. AFAIK, it never hurt the derailleur, but that was in the pre-clutch fancy pants derailleur days.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Anyone ride the Sram Type 2 stuff? Any comparison to the clutch systems on Shimano? My next bike comes with a x9 Type 2 and I'm curious if there's anything I should look out for. Thanks

I'm running a type 2 X9 rear der. Working beautifully. Chainslap is virtually nil. It is dead quiet on the trail.

For those wanting to run a top mount xc type chain guide, this is a must have when the going gets tough.

Supossedly the clutch design on the SRAM is a little more robust.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm still curious.

Did you pull your shock and cycle the suspension?

Were you running the DH with a 36t cassette?

Do you really set up all your bikes with that much b tension :eek:?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I didnt pull the shock, parted the bike after the stack-up. I was running the correct der/cassette. Went back to the shop to double check that correct parts were sold/given. According to the invoice everything is fine. I don't have the original packaging or derailleur so I couldn't tell you if that were the case or not.

As for the B tension, Those photos are a bit of a misrepresentation of a possible normal set-up, When it started ghosting and was all out of wack I started turning screws to see if any changes were made to get it to not jam up. frustration trail side.

since the bike is parted it's all a bit moot, but appears i'm not the only one having issues with this derailleur.