Quantcast

What does UST stand for on tires???

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
First of all i'm not looking for a lesson on tubeless tires. i know how they work and i dont want to run them.

but ive been looking around for a good set of dh tires (i think ive decided on maxxis minions either 2.5 or 2.7) and the little acronym ust keeps coming up. i know it means that the tires are tubeless compatible but i want to know what makes them different from regular tubeless and what the hell ust stands for :confused:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Universal System for Tubeless.

Anything Maxxis makes that is tubeless compatable is UST. There are a couple companies that make tires with a tubeless bead but a non-airtight sidewall, that thus require sealant.

I also don't think that Maxxis makes a 2.7 tubeless. Do you have a link to anything that you're looking at?

Also, you need UST specific rims to run tubeless without some sort of rim strip, i.e. Stan's. What wheels are you planning on doing this with?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Actualy that sentance in UST instead UTS would sound a bit more like english but maybe it was the point...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Universal System for Tubeless.

Anything Maxxis makes that is tubeless compatable is UST. There are a couple companies that make tires with a tubeless bead but a non-airtight sidewall, that thus require sealant.

I also don't think that Maxxis makes a 2.7 tubeless. Do you have a link to anything that you're looking at?

Also, you need UST specific rims to run tubeless without some sort of rim strip, i.e. Stan's. What wheels are you planning on doing this with?
first, thanks for the info, the first line of your post would have been sufficient

and if you had read my whole post you would have known that i dont want to run tubeless and they do make the maxxis minion in a 2.7 im not sure if its tubeless http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI707A19-Maxxis+Minion+27+Front+Tire.aspx?sc=FRGL

this is the tires im getting but i cant decide between the 2.5 or the 2.7

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Whilst riding yesterday with Buffalo Jon/Pterordactyl, his front UST tire suddenly blew out while hitting a 6" divot on a huge rock slab - BLAM went the tire. UGGGHH went Jon, as he slid down the rock face wrists and elbows first. Hole in sidewall and no backup tube. (and it didn't help that I for some strange reason only had a 20" schraeder tube, but that's bedides the point...)

That fateful day, UST for Jon stood for U Stoopid Too? :rimshot:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Whilst riding Buffalo Jon/Pterordactyl, his front suddenly blew a 6" huge slab - BLAM. UGGGHH went Jon, as he slid the face wrists and elbows first. Hole in backup. (and it didn't help that I for some strange reason only had a 20" tube, but that's bedides the point...)
fixed...unnecessary censorship

haha sorry, im bored in my cubicle

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is there anything required with the UST system...like if I have 823 rims and michelin tires, do you need stan's or anything else?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Is there anything required with the UST system...like if I have 823 rims and michelin tires, do you need stan's or anything else?
Nope. They work fine Rims + Tyres. I add a bit of Joe's no flats just because of habbit but you don't have too.
BTW. Go hutchinson barracuda low not michy ;)

Oct 14, 2007
Most people don't know this, but stan's actually is alot more corrosive than we think. Take this for example, schwable voids the warranty of their tires of used with stan's sealant because it eats up rubber. Apparently if you put in stan's and don't ride your bike that often then you would come back one day to a flat tire and a whole in your casing...but if you ride somewhat often there is no worry as stan's has the best sealing properties

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I used to hear that a lot, and i am not 100% convinced it is a load of crap. I have both michelin and maxxis tires in my shop. Both are loaded onto wheelsets and not ridden for ages as I have multiple wheelsets. Not once have I ever had a single problem with stan's causing problems with the tires.

In conclusion, Schwalbe needs to make better tires or shut up.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Most people don't know this, but stan's actually is alot more corrosive than we think. Take this for example, schwable voids the warranty of their tires of used with stan's sealant because it eats up rubber. Apparently if you put in stan's and don't ride your bike that often then you would come back one day to a flat tire and a whole in your casing...but if you ride somewhat often there is no worry as stan's has the best sealing properties
OMG OMG OMG I must do sth as I don't ride my bike in the winter and I left some in my tyres (Actualy Joe's no flats but that's pretty much the same) I can hear the sound of it eating threw my barracudas. They cry! I can hear them! I need to save them!

BTW.
Used in my tubes a season ago and apparently my tubes must be stronger than schwable tires.