Quantcast

What does your screen look like?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's mine at 50%, photo from denali national park, http://tinyurl.com/qqgmf

explanations for fellow mac users:

over the desktop are my iCal events, pretty sparse for this weekend :D . www.icalviewer.com puts them on the desktop.

in the upper left is Adium, connecting to Google Talk, with my AIM and MSN contacts visible through Google Talk thanks to gateways (aim.deepdarc.com and msn.jabber.anywise.com).

icons in the dock: finder, safari, adium, ical, stickies, itunes (custom icon), isync, terminal, osxvnc server, trash

the movie on my desktop is "harold and kumar go to white castle" :D, and all the folders are reminders to myself.

in the menu bar upper right, from left to right:

- adium status menu
- quicksilver (quicksilver.blacktree.com i think)
- synergy (http://wincent.com/a/products/synergy-classic/)
- iScrobbler (www.last.fm)
- icalviewer (.com)
- menumeters (http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/)
- keyboard input menu, english or japanese
- volume, clock, bluetooth, spotlight

see here for a bunch of my desktop pics and screenshots over the years:

desktop pics and screenshots

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Oh, If anyone wants to know how to take a screenshot. Go to your desktop and press PrtSc..then go to paint and paste it in there. After that, save it in whatever folder and upload it in whatever web host you want to. I don't know how to do it on a MAC. :wonky2:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
to take a screenshot on a mac press apple-shift-3

(apple-shift-4 lets you draw a rectangle around the area you wish to capture, -3 does the whole screen)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
for windows press....control and print screen at the same time....open something like paint and go to edit->paste
it will paste the screen capture in there. save that as a jpg or whatever and up load it to photobucket or image host of your choice...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
aiya, doesn't that give you seizures if you turn your head too rapidly?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dual 17's baby....

I like a clean, uncluttered desktop. The photos are from the honeymoon in Ireland. The left is The Temple Bar in Dublin, where I had my first Irish Guinness. The right is the river Liffey, also in Dublin.

Here it is while I am actually using the PC...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Mine.

Pic by Laura. Taken on Carpenteria State Beach, CA during the last few hours of the Solstice.

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
Normally I wouldn't have anything but the bin there, been a bit lazy cleaning up lately. If I had any pics of me riding something good I'd have them there.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Some of y'all have a lot of stuff on your desktops... some of you have some damn nice photos!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
wh ywouldnt you want the most used stuff on your desktop? seems like the quickest way to get to it. a guy i used to work with kept pretty much nothing but the recycle bin on his. never understood going through the start menu and all that crap to get to something you use a lot.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
mastercycleman said:
Do you do alot of fishing, that a nice boat, for the shallows and such..
o r are you a hardcore push pole junkie:agree: :agree:
he pushes pole!!!! bhahahahaha

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
biggins said:
wh ywouldnt you want the most used stuff on your desktop? seems like the quickest way to get to it. a guy i used to work with kept pretty much nothing but the recycle bin on his. never understood going through the start menu and all that crap to get to something you use a lot.
Most of my stuff is kept on my server. It's pretty rare for me to launch an application by itself. It usually get's launched when I open a file. I don't go through the start menu or My Comp. I either use a shortcut to my directory on the server and launch the file I need, or use one of the few icons on the desktop that launches the app I need, such as Opera.

Cluttered desktops have just always bugged me. Normally I also run STYLE XP, which is a third party GUI editor dealie. Makes the GUI all pretty and such. :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ohhh got ya. i dont have anything like that just me and my desktop and laptop. i have a lot of extranious stuff on mine that i need to do away with and make it look just like my laptop. i am at the point where i dont even need to look at the icon i just know its the fourth one down on the right or whatever.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
biggins said:
;) I don't get why I do it myself, I wish I knew how to delete my trash though. If you notice I have my C: drive in the bottom right hand corner. I sometimes use my desktop and put a frame in front of it to see what it will look like with the frame. Hince why the Capital Building is my new wallpaper.

Oh, if the Xp trash can is throwing people off, I have Xp but use 98 style, looks much better.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Here's one of my other PC's... It's running Style XP, which is why the GUI looks different than plain ol' XP. I have also replaced the system icons with my own. As you can see, I have shortcuts to what I use alot on the desktop... Web browser, music, Google Earth, and (My) Computer. If you open Computer you et the shortcut to the share drive where most of our data is kept.

I just like a clean desktop and I don't mind opening the start menu to launch apps.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Aperture is great, but wasn't out yet when I got CS2, Also as much of my workflow is in Jpeg Aperture does me absolutly no good for over 75% of my work. I do have it on my other machine but not on the laptop.