Quantcast

What effect has this forum had on you?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
After all of this bashing and calming down and bashing........i began to think. Two years ago I was pretty hardcore right, regardless of the issue, i simply sided with the conservative side just because i was conservative.
fast forward to now.....

i still consider myself conservative but after many well argued debates (and some very emotional ones :D ahem...alexis dh ;) ) i tend to find myself more in the middle on most issues. now, i still have the issues that i feel very strongly about, the gay issue, abortion.........., but my opinions on our governmental policies, both repub and dem have been broadened and i no longer blindly follow the traditional southern "republican or die" mentality.

i've found merit from both sides in arguments about the war, foreign policy, elections....... and i'm glad to say that i've learned a lot from it.

there are some very highly educated folks in here and i'd just like to make an official "thanks" for allowing this place to be and for keeping it relatively civil. there are times when i am forced to explore why i believe what i believe, sometimes it encourages those beliefs and sometimes it frustrates me because it brings about questions that are difficult to answer.

anyway, i was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way or has allowed themselves to think about an issue from the other side.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I've (believe it or not) always been able to see and understand both sides of most issues. What this forum, and others like it have done is formalize why i decide what I support.

It's not liberal or conservative for me. It's progressive or regressive.

Either you want to fix a problem by looking at the source and make progress -- progressive OR you want to regress the problem, by punishing or hiding it. I've decided I'm progressive, I want to fix problems through fixing the source, education, awareness, what have you.

Frequently problems are stacked one on top of the other. Here's an example.

Sex/Birth control...
Progressive : Provide education, condoms, and talk to your children about what sex actually means and the results, and why they shouldn't have sex. Talk about STD's during Sex ed.
Regressive: Don't talk about, don't have sex education, pretend it doesn't exist. And never, ever, pass out condoms.

STDs..
Progressive: See "Birth Control" so people make informed choices. Provide treatment.
Regressive: Pretend they don't exist. If child gets one call the Girl a slut and boy a stud.

Abortion...
Progressive: See "birth control" and "STD", with access to birth control and education the rate of teen pregnancies will drop and so will the rate of abortions. Provide programs that allow mother/family to keep the child without ruining her life e.g. daycare, insurance, support so there is a more attractive alternative to abortion. Encourage adoptions in cases where mother.family doesn't want to keep child.
Regressive: Make it Illegal. Abortions will move back into the alley where they belong.

One of these methods is based in reality, actually reduces the number of abortions, number of people on state assistance, and cost of medical care by reducing the number of STD's. But it takes time and coordination.

The other just conceals the problem.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
well, i roam around here.. because the peruvian political debate forums are utterly marxist.
i mean, am pretty "liberal" (or pinko) by US standards, though i believe in free enterprise, free markets and such, but am appealed by some ideas of social welfare....

but goddammit!! around here a LOT of people is down right marxist, debates are still made around the validity of legal ownership, price control schemes, and state ownership of basically everything.
i guess that widespread national-mentality has to do a lot with the fact peru is so fvcked up.

so i roam around here for greener pastures, and learn about the other sides position on a lot of issues, sometimes starting a shift in my position.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Speaking as a Canadian, I only post or reply when I have a place to say something. I've read most of everything that's been posted here and you're right, there are A LOT of intelligent people here (regardless which side they 'belong' to) and thanks for making me understand what's going on in the US and understand what the thinking is in the US.

Has this forum changed anything for me?? Well for one thing I get annoyed when people I talk to around here say "Americans are stupid." I take offense to that just because most of the people on Ridemonkey are from the US and again, regardless of your affliations, everyone here is quite 'sane' and has organized thoughts. I think in the end everyone here has the same root concerns.

I think N8 is great...he's funny as hell and no matter what happens he won't get deterred. LOL...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
ChrisRobin said:
I think N8 is great...he's funny as hell and no matter what happens he won't get deterred. LOL...
Just like our piece of sh*t president who will never admit he's clueless.

Friggin Canadian...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think a great percentage of Americans are moderate in their stances. To let a party, a church, anyone think for you is a mistake. Obviously people can and will and should be (in some situations) influenced by a popular stance, but to carry a bucket full of holes just to tow the popular political line, and stubbornly claim it holds water, is beyond foolhardy.

From time to time i enjoy looking thru this forum and adding a bit of my own unqualified yet insightful banter. i certainly hope i have the ability in upcoming years to ultimately prove how wrong you all are and how spot on correct i am.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I typically stay out of the political forums. Too messy.

Manimal, it heartens me to see someone has gotten something out of them. Whenever I ventured in here, it seemed to me to just be a lot of frothers (from whatever camp) bashing heads, getting heated; and further convinced they're right. Turns out I was wrong.

I used to be hard core in my political beliefs. That indeed was a learning experience for me.

I ask of anyone who is firmly entrenched in what they believe is "right," to step away and ask themselves -- "what if I'm wrong?"

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
honeslyt i liked the :monkey: better before the forum was put into place.

i would've preferred to stay blissfully ignorant of the political slant of the members

the pd forum is the train wreck that i can't stay away from now that its here

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
ridetoofast said:
honeslyt i liked the :monkey: better before the forum was put into place.

i would've preferred to stay blissfully ignorant of the political slant of the members

the pd forum is the train wreck that i can't stay away from now that its here
I think RM is great with a political forum...it totally gets people talking about serious topics that everyone will not agree on yet everyone here is into bikes.

As far as the freeride forum and the little kids that have been swarming RM, that's a different story.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good post Manimal, thanks.

Yeah most people are nice and middle of the road. I've said this again and again but I think our two party system tends to elect polititians that seem to split the spectrum where the average American is. This leads more to a power struggle than direct representation. Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this.

Spending time in this forum has made me keep closer track of current events. There were a few years when I just hid from the real world. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, I usually end up pissed off and feeling powerless.

Jan 13, 2005
I'm split on two fronts. I gew up half in a red state and later half in a blue state, my stance is economically more left than right and socially leaning heavily to the right.

The more and more I come in contact with the left, I become more convinced that despite its self-appointed righteousness, the core of the so called Left is full of holes and hypocracy, and that re-enforced my stances on many issues even more.

I have been watching this forum for a few years now and seems like there are just the same bunch of people screaming and yelling while the rest kinda just snicker and ignore. I visit RM less and less now since I started college and have less time ot travel to various places to ride and ride in general, and have to keep my self from spending exorbitant amount of money on new parts that cost more than my car's worth. on top of that I really think a lot of people here know less than FoxNews and are bunch of wusses.

Oh well, it's the Internet, everyone's entitled to it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I find in SF that everyone's opinion is identical. While I happen to agree with most of the liberal viewpoints, I enjoy challenging my own beliefs and debating the subjects.

Occasionally, I find people here unchallenged, and their beliefs become stagnant. I am probably an arch-conservative here because I voted for Guiliani and have thought about buying a gun once.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
As an apathetic anarchist, I feel that I fit right in, we like to talk about stuff but can't be bothered to actually do anything about it.

I don't know if my views have changed but its easier to argue with ya'll than it is my family, friends and coworkers. Most you are just as arrogant as I am when it comes to your views which makes it frustrating as hell. But I'd rather be pissed at ya'll and have you pissed off at me then someone I have to be around all the time.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
As an apathetic anarchist, I feel that I fit right in, we like to talk about stuff but can't be bothered to actually do anything about it.

I don't know if my views have changed but its easier to argue with ya'll than it is my family, friends and coworkers. Most you are just as arrogant as I am when it comes to your views which makes it frustrating as hell. But I'd rather be pissed at ya'll and have you pissed off at me then someone I have to be around all the time.
:stupid:

I'd much rather fight with you d0rx0rz than my lovely wife...

:D

E

enkidu

Being a Polyannaish simpleton, my off-beat interjections are usually ignored. (But I still get a mini-thrill posting them, mind you.)

Apologies to all who find them to be irritant and clueless!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I used to consider myself a moderate... interestingly enough I would now call myself a, uh, moderate. But I'm definitely further left than I started (though still right of most of the folks in this city). What this forum has done is give me an opportunity to test my beliefs and think through my values logically. I don't know how much my opinions have changed, but they are certainly much richer and better informed than before.

At times, reading some of the garbage in here does test my faith in humanity, but then so does watching the news, overhearing conversations, and observing my clients...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Hey Manimal, I'm glad to hear that the PD forum has had a positive effect on you.

While I consider myself conservative (as would most on here) certainly in the circiles I run here in real life I am relatively moderate, some would say *gasp* liberal.

Anyway, I did an interesting thing a few months ago, I did a search on all the threads I've posted on here in the PD forum and it was strange to see the "change" from when I first started posting on here as the self appointed (I might have even thought God appointed..LOL) defender of morality here in this cesspool of liberalism.

Boy have things changed. I attribute it to several life issues, but first and formost the questioning and examination of my faith, and the rejection of the "cookie cutter" version of Christianity I had been spoon fed since saying "yes" to Jesus in 1996.

Anyway, I have noticed that the PD forum has a definete "season" to it, some members come and go, some lurk, I for one have really enjoyed the conversations, and how many of you have challenged me.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
enkidu said:
Being a Polyannaish simpleton, my off-beat interjections are usually ignored. (But I still get a mini-thrill posting them, mind you.)

Apologies to all who find them to be irritant and clueless!
Yeah, that's pretty much me. I'm a moron, I post my little opinion, it gets eaten alive, I watch the train wreck and laugh.

I have learned that some people actually do think like I do, and I learned that some people are even more scary in their beliefs than I thought.

The PD forum is for the most part pretty cool. It's nice to debate and argue without fear of someone really getting angry. It would be nice to see less carte blanche when it comes to christian bashing, and more when it comes to military bashing... it seems that everyone can bash christians all day long but heaven help you if you say anything even slightly negative about the military.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ciaran said:
... it seems that everyone can bash christians all day long but heaven help you if you say anything even slightly negative about the military.
Wow, you're learning...albeit slowly...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Ciaran said:
It would be nice to see less carte blanche when it comes to christian bashing, and more when it comes to military bashing... it seems that everyone can bash christians all day long but heaven help you if you say anything even slightly negative about the military.
Well clearly that's because Christians the world over have been responsible for killing thousands of people, whereas the military are there to help.

E

enkidu

Ciaran said:
. . . but heaven help you if you say anything even slightly negative about the military.
I don't think military is to be blamed for the quagmire in the Middle East. It is the civilian "Commander in Chief" and Co. who are misusing the military for their grand scheme of hubris.

If anything, the military needs a lot more support for being subjected to Gulf War Illness, Atomic Veterans, Agent Orange, Project Whitecoat, Depleted Uranium, Chemical Exposures, Biological Experiments, Experimental Vaccines, Investigational Drugs, Mind Control Projects and so forth.

Probably I should start a new thread and ask MikeD, Riactor, Genpowell71 and others if the assertions made in "Beyond Treason, The U.S. Government's Long History of Conducting Deadly Military Experiments" (www.BeyondTreason.com) are real major problems or just a hyped-up scary-tale.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
enkidu said:
Probably I should start a new thread and ask MikeD, Riactor, Genpowell71 and others if the assertions made in "Beyond Treason, The U.S. Government's Long History of Conducting Deadly Military Experiments" (www.BeyondTreason.com) are real major problems or just a hyped-up scary-tale.
Since I'm actually a failed military experiment myself (combination of biotechnology, cyber-technology, drugs, an Apple IIe, and lots of duct tape), my opinion is probably too biased to consider.

MD

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I have found that I enjoy not participating in this forum. As far as my belief systems; I'm still for justice, I'm still for freedom and I still think N8 is a complete jack off.

That said I disagree with Manimal on some ideas but still respect him. The respect level in this area of RM seems to vacilate between acceptable and stupidly unacceptable levels. I blame N8.

Peace

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
It is definitely amusing to read through here and post every once in a while. I suppose my opinions on politics have not changed much (still liberal), but I still have 3 years until I can vote so who knows what will happen...

I can conclude that while N8 and Changleen are both frothers on their respective sides, N8 is a complete tool and Changleen actually can explain his reasoning, no matter how far out it is (generally)

For the time being, I am happy to sit back and read the threads. This forum has certainitly helped keep me more up to date on current events then I would be without it.

I think I need to work on structuring my thoughts :p

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Hmm, Am I really 'extreme' left? I don't think so. There are millions in Europe who might make me look center. I know to some of you I'm the fvcking 'left' but I don't really see it like that anyway. Like Reactor, I see the whole main differentiation as progressive behaviours and the sliding scale back downhill to the sticks and caves of regressive behaviours.

What effect has this forum had on me? It has helped me clarify my ideas about things I suppose. Hearing different tangents expressed about situations and ideas is sort of like seeing them in 3D more. Your own view improved with shadowing effects to enhance the definition of the geography.

Cheers guys. Especially DT, BS, GenPowell, and DRB, and sort of N8. This doesn't mean I approve though, you blinkered fools! :mumble: :D

Edit: Oh yeah, I just need to add: Still not lovin' organised religion. Pretty much think it's the most regressive thing in the world today. :drool:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I used to be pretty conservative. After seeing this forum for a few years (and observing people in RL too) I have realized that most conservatives are like N8, blindly supporting a corrupt president and warmongering against anyone who thinks differently than them. These days I tend more towards the liberal side of things, although pretty much any politician can kiss my ass.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Andyman_1970 said:
Now Chang would you characterize me as "regressive"??
To me you are at the progressive end of a generally regressive trend. Whilst what you believe in is the cause of many problems and much regressive behaviour, I think what you believe about it is more progressive than a great majority of your 'fellow' believers, but to me, what good I see in your 'beliefs' would be the result of logical conjecture to a rational person anyway. I don't see why you need belief as a prop for most of your ideas. Many stand quite satisfactorily on their own merit. And indeed it's those which don't that I have a problem with.