Quantcast

*&*&*& What even is Wednesday shit edit: Thursday ? *&*&@*&*

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The moment you have Slack, Discord, email and other shit like that on your phone, the work/life balance ceases to exist.
And for (even mild) introverts, the constantly on camera in meetings is hell.
Have you considered telling them to fuck off? Because that's what I'd do. No job is worth that. At the very least, it's time to set some hard boundaries. Nobody ever died wishing they had spent more time at work

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The moment you have Slack, Discord, email and other shit like that on your phone, the work/life balance ceases to exist.
Turn off those notifications. Problem solved. :D

The only way I get bugged after hours is by an SMS page or by my boss calling me directly. And those happen VERY rarely.

Although I'm not a developer. :D

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Have you considered telling them to fuck off? Because that's what I'd do. No job is worth that. At the very least, it's time to set some hard boundaries. Nobody ever died wishing they had spent more time at work
The last time I refused to work in two time zones every other day (India and East coast), I ended up being unemployed rather quickly. My two past jobs put me in a rather vulnerable position so I cannot afford losing another job after only 6 moths there. Besides, if everyone else just goes with it, it is difficult to go against the grain.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The other WFH thing I hate is motors and engines. Street swiping, trash trucks, delivery trucks, loud cars, leaf blowers, weed whackers, jack hammers. Every day there's noise outside my window while I work.
can you expense a pair of noise cancelling headphones?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
After over a year of Wife and I working from home together, she returned to the office today, leaving me lonely and unsupervised. Sad!!
What do your animals think of that?!?!

work doesn't issue me a company phone (not a high enough pay grade). when they asked me to put stuff on my personal phone my response was to ask if they were going to start paying for my phone. that ended that conversation very quickly.

we aren't expected to have cameras on for zoom calls, thankfully.
Yeh... People here have asked how to get work email and whatnot on their personal phones. My only response is usually WHY????

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What do your animals think of that?!?!

Yeh... People here have asked how to get work email and whatnot on their personal phones. My only response is usually WHY????
For me.....I can fuck off and ride bikes and still be "working" without being obligated to answer emails/calls the same way if I had a company phone, which I have been asked to get multiple times and avoided.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
can you expense a pair of noise cancelling headphones?
maybe. My AirPods are okay, but I don’t want them in all day. I might need some over-ear style, but I can’t wear those for long before that’s annoying. The noise is never long, but it’s loud and abruptly starts and stops. I’d be aware of it through phones.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The last time I refused to work in two time zones every other day (India and East coast), I ended up being unemployed rather quickly. My two past jobs put me in a rather vulnerable position so I cannot afford losing another job after only 6 moths there. Besides, if everyone else just goes with it, it is difficult to go against the grain.

I am currently working with a team in India which means lots of super early morning meetings, which is 3 hours worse from the East Coast. In addition I am also working with 3rd shift which means some rather late night meetings. I also have to physically work on 3rd shift every 10 days or so while maintaining my normal day job. Which literally means missing a whole nights sleep.

What makes it more frustrating is that I really shouldn't have to do any of this shit. We have people assigned specifically to work with these teams/shifts but they prove at best to be ineffective and at worst create negative progress.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
That sucks, I somehow have managed to maintain my Zoom / webcam virginity...

It's a shame we don't do it like Europe ;)

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The older I get, them more glad I become to be a low visibility, non management, blue collar, gate troll. I mean sure, it can suck real bad some days, like when it's 0 degrees and the wind is blowing, but it's still better than all day/all hour zoom meetings. "Future of work", indeed. :rofl:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am currently working with a team in India which means lots of super early morning meetings, which is 3 hours worse from the East Coast. In addition I am also working with 3rd shift which means some rather late night meetings. I also have to physically work on 3rd shift every 10 days or so while maintaining my normal day job. Which literally means missing a whole nights sleep.
Looks like this is a transitional period for you though. I was hired by US team/managers only to have a new Indian CEO and a direct manager in India instated two weeks later. Everyone else in the team was in India, all customers and most prospects in EU and all other team members I had to collaborate with were in the US. My days sometimes started at 11PM with hours-long meetings, then early morning sales meetings with the EU teams, then regular work hours in the EST time zone + sales meetings in the US, and then often another 11PM call to instruct the teams about the next day's goals and direction. This was happening 2-5x a week with no end in sight.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Looks like this is a transitional period for you though. I was hired by US team/managers only to have a new Indian CEO and a direct manager in India instated two weeks later. Everyone else in the team was in India, all customers and most prospects in EU and all other team members I had to collaborate with were in the US. My days sometimes started at 11PM with hours-long meetings, then early morning sales meetings with the EU teams, then regular work hours in the EST time zone + sales meetings in the US, and then often another 11PM call to instruct the teams about the next day's goals and direction. This was happening 2-5x a week with no end in sight.
that's going in the Encyclopedia Killtannica

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
hey @SkaredShtles - are you, by any chance, a developer?

It's a shame we don't do it like Europe ;)

At my previous employer I traveled once to our Frankfurt office - and get this - they got in trouble if they put in more than 8 hours. They actually had to go before some employment committee and explain their actions if they were putting in "too much time." Needless to say, I was the only one in that office after around 4pm. :D

We could learn a thing or two about civilized employment from the Euros...

The older I get, them more glad I become to be a low visibility, non management,
Yeah - I have no interest in climbing any ladders. I get paid what I consider a good wage to solve problems and do shit... and sometimes there's not much to do. All seems to work out in the end.

that's going in the Encyclopedia Killtannica
:stupid:

With all that said, today is a complete shitshow at work, and I'm here right now:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
With all that said, today is a complete shitshow at work, and I'm here right now:

maybe you should look into a career as a developer?

continuing to blow off stuff i've blown off all week. maybe i'll do it tomorrow? gonna have a lunchbeer, finish off a bleed of the new rear brake, go pick up the older kid, and then go ride bikes with the younger one. 65* and sunny and i'll take it!

also planning to finalize our trip to maine in june tonight. will be nice to get everything squared away.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maybe you should look into a career as a developer?

continuing to blow off stuff i've blown off all week. maybe i'll do it tomorrow? gonna have a lunchbeer, finish off a bleed of the new rear brake, go pick up the older kid, and then go ride bikes with the younger one. 65* and sunny and i'll take it!

also planning to finalize our trip to maine in june tonight. will be nice to get everything squared away.
when are you going to Maine?

also, your agenda seems to be missing grilling wings

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went for a super short ride. Fack it sucked. N9 energy and I wore a pair of shoes that I don't use very often; they hurt like a tight pair of hockey skates for some reason. Le suck.

But hey, supposed to be warm again tomorrow...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The older I get, them more glad I become to be a low visibility, non management, blue collar, gate troll. I mean sure, it can suck real bad some days, like when it's 0 degrees and the wind is blowing, but it's still better than all day/all hour zoom meetings. "Future of work", indeed. :rofl:
im alright dying poor and happy as long as I have a great view dying....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Pretty frustrated with the state of mountain biking here. Warranty processes broken, parts out of stock everywhere, unreliable shipping when you find something as rare as hen's teeth overseas, trails crowded with assholes and noobs who block off the a-lines and rip out rocks. :mad:
I was in your hood today. Took the kids to the zoo. We should ride soon.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks, Karen.

New droppers installed per @Adventurous recommendation. Sold KS Lev off the Turner through FB today (moved from previous frame, too short now) and sent Lev Integra back to KS to do whatever the fuck they want with it.
What external routed post did you swap for the lev?
im alright dying poor and happy as long as I have a great view dying....
Current camp
20210422_182745_resized.jpg

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What external routed post did you swap for the lev?
PNW Cascade on the Turner, Loam on the YT. We'll see how it goes....if they last longer than the ~10 rides I got out of the Integra on the YT before sagging, grinding, leaking oil and having tons of play, I'll be happy.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
WTF do you guys do to your shit to constantly break seatposts? I've had the same Kindshock Supernatural with remonte on my bike since 2012 with no problems and I know I out weigh most of you.
240lbs + 175mm travel post + seat tube angle. Bad combo.

The KS Lev on the Turner was fucking awesome on the other hand. But that was 100mm travel and a steeper ST angle. Only had to get rid of it because it wasn't high enough on the Turner, as I swapped it over from the previous frame I got it for. That worked perfectly and had absolutely no fore/aft or even rotational play. I was bummed to get rid of it, but sold it for 75% of what the PNW cost me, and is appropriately sized.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

shock g.....hope you are grabbing biscuits where ever you land....rip....