Quantcast

What ever happened to Empire DH frames?

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
See a good few of them at the races over hear, they still sell 'em as far as I know but they are pricey as feck!

Never seen a broken one in person.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pretty sure the first gen is just about to be replaced, other than that I know nothing.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Always liked those frames, I wouldn't buy one tho:D
Didn't one of the guys who started the whole shebang leave for some reason? Craig Robertson was his name i think:confused:??? hope they "forge" ahead with the magnesium plans:thumb:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you look close enough you can find used ones in good condition on the british forums classfields. Sometimes you can get very nice prices for them used so if the RRP is a problem its not hard to go around.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
$4200 USD is nuts for a frame
Converting it directly is silly. V10s dont cost much less in the uk. Most top end frames cost around 2+k pounds. Though it is silly that the frame gets more and more expensive every year. It was 2499 some time ago and Im pretty sure initial price was around 2.2k

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
it is pretty crazy I thought the makulu was pricey at 2800 with the boss the empire seems to offer no advantage other than being different for the sake of it. If casting was as good as empire claim surely the big names would have tried it

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I really like the look of the frame and its simplicity is genius, but the idea of crashing and getting tangled up with all of those hard edges on the front frame scares the bejezuz out of me. I always manage to collect a couple large hematoba's on my inner thigh after a major wipeout and thats from round tubes.....I-beam impact = double ouch.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Never understood the point of using a cast frame for low volume production. Doesn't that sorta negate all the benefits of casting it? I mean might make sense for stinky's, enduros, and *insert common xc bike*, but for a DH bike they sell a few hundred a year of, tops? I must be missing something.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Well they sure do talk-up the manufacturing process. gemini2k pointed out that casting doesn't seem like an ideal manufacturing method with practical advantages and I added that, like the Arantix bike, I think the manufacturing method is supposed to be a selling point in itself. No one's gonna be fascinated by a single pivot with an idler. They will take note of an entirely cast DH frame.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I was just commenting on your comment I quoted, not on anything else. But I'd think most people with a general understanding of cast products would not be interested in a cast frame, so it's not a good selling point.
I stress the "general undertanding" meaning most people would think it's a weak form for bike frames. Not sure what special skills ot technique Empire have, and I'm not starting a debate on casting.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I was just commenting on your comment I quoted, not on anything else. But I'd think most people with a general understanding of cast products would not be interested in a cast frame, so it's not a good selling point.
I stress the "general undertanding" meaning most people would think it's a weak form for bike frames. Not sure what special skills ot technique Empire have, and I'm not starting a debate on casting.
You dont really understand how people buy bikes and how little most of them know about them. All my friends who hype this frame just go - ooh it looks so cool, I want it. They dont even notice the high pivot.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You dont really understand how people buy bikes and how little most of them know about them. All my friends who hype this frame just go - ooh it looks so cool, I want it. They dont even notice the high pivot.
Must be a nice conversation on the ride to the coffee shop.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Must be a nice conversation on the ride to the coffee shop.
Not really. Just visit pinkbike or think about why a lot of ppl go for the new session or intense. Looks get you a lot of sales. Yes fancy shmancy techno bs also helps. Of course having a good bike is important but considering that its really hard to find a bad bike nowdays looks and marketing are key.

And my friends later go to look at the details but if they cant decide what to pick - the shiny thing always wins. Thats how the real world looks outside of RM where everybody tries to choose their bike in the most e-scientific way ;)

EDIT: Im not really bashing anyone and im sure most of the ppl have good reasons why they bought their bikes but it almost seems a crime here to say that you like a given bike for its looks not its amazing tech sth.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm more impressed and give more credit to the dude carving em up on an old sh!tter. Style can't be bought, but a good bike can help.
Have I walked into a gay bar and not realised?
I'm into chicks, and from what I've learnt, most aren't into bikes, so who cares what they look like astheticly?
Death to marketing and bike fashion!
As a mater of fact, I'd rather all the big bike brands went bust also.
Sorry to derail this thread.
Can any Empire riders give a ride report, and list what bikes you've owned and ridden and how long you've been riding please.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I agree with you - Im quite fed up with the marketing bs companies throw at us though I wouldnt want them bust. They have their place. Just stating how it is for the most people.(ie. look at pinkbike).
As for the looks - I like my bike to look nice though its a bit lower on my list.

As for chicks you obviously have not been in any popular dj spot or on comps ;)

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
especially a ~14lb frame that offers no improvement from a normal 10.5lb frame.
If you look on the site they are very carefull not to mention the actual frame weight, just 'average' built weight, but even thats a little wishy washy.

For reference, my frame & shock (Ti spring!) when I stripped it and sold it, including the rear axle, chain device, headset & seatpost collar was ~16.9lbs... :eek:

It was a proper plow bike. Didn't really suit me as i'm not a plow rider, but if you could ride that way it really did go.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
If you look on the site they are very carefull not to mention the actual frame weight, just 'average' built weight, but even thats a little wishy washy.

For reference, my frame & shock (Ti spring!) when I stripped it and sold it, including the rear axle, chain device, headset & seatpost collar was ~16.9lbs... :eek:

It was a proper plow bike. Didn't really suit me as i'm not a plow rider, but if you could ride that way it really did go.
What are you riding now, and how/why does it feel better? What shock did you run in it?