Quantcast

What Fork To Get?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've been hesitant to post regarding my experience after the shit show over at MTBR (everyone is either a fanboy trying to justify their purchase, or a hater saying you should have bought a Mezzer). I've been running one since they were released in the US (early October?). 160mm version, on a Smash and Gnarvana. I weigh about 172 lbs fully geared up. I'd say I'm a middle of the pack, middle aged dentist. I don't jump much but do like steeps. I've run a 36 RC2 and a 36 GRIP2 (2019 version), both with and without a Luftkappe. No experience with a Lyrik or Mezzer.

The good: it's very, very good over small bumps. The stiction is incredible compared to a 36 with a Luftkappe and green SKF seals. Going over fast brake bumps feels like the level of muting that you get from running a Cushcore, only even moreso. The midstroke support is quite good. It doesn't creak. I "only" paid the pre-order price of like 1,600 instead of whatever ridiculous list price they have now. Their suggested main chamber (+) pressures seem to be pretty close.

The bad: their ramp chamber (++) pressures are ridiculously high. The fork is SUPER progressive, even running much less than what they suggest, and the compression nearly open. They suggest setting ++ to about 155% of +. I dropped that to 120%, and still didn't bottom out when I literally dislocated my shoulder casing a gap with the front. I can take all the air out of both chambers, and it takes my full body weight to compress it to full travel. I'm guessing that's from the initial travel coil (which is non-adjustable).

My friend who has one also weighs like 15+ lbs less than me (but has it on his fucking ebike) is running higher pressures than me, and uses more travel. It might be down to riding style, but I really have to wonder if something's funky with mine. I had a skills coach I've used a few times take a look at it, and his impression was that the LSR was really slow but the HSR was nice and fast. He opened rebound full open but the HSR was too much for me so I slowed it to 1 click faster than EXT's recommendations. I've asked the EXT dealer in the Bay Area to have the coach take a look at his personal fork and see if he's feeling the same thing (they're friends). I haven't had him crack it open or send it in for service because I don't want to deal with the turn-around time.

Anyways, I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, it's great over small rocks and brake bumps, and good midstroke support. On the other, the ramp up at the last 1/3 just feels super firm. The value proposition seems pretty bad, unless you're talking about it in comparison to something like a 36 + Secus, or Zeb + Smashpot. It could be I'm just a hack rider, it could be I got a dud, or it could be something inherent in their design. There doesn't seem to be a clear alternative that ticks all the boxes, and even if there was, with all the supply chain issues I'm reluctant to grab something else to try instead.
Yeah, you were the one missing 2" of travel on it if I recall. That's way too much missing travel to be normal, something has to be up with that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been hesitant to post regarding my experience after the shit show over at MTBR (everyone is either a fanboy trying to justify their purchase, or a hater saying you should have bought a Mezzer). I've been running one since they were released in the US (early October?). 160mm version, on a Smash and Gnarvana. I weigh about 172 lbs fully geared up. I'd say I'm a middle of the pack, middle aged dentist. I don't jump much but do like steeps. I've run a 36 RC2 and a 36 GRIP2 (2019 version), both with and without a Luftkappe. No experience with a Lyrik or Mezzer.

The good: it's very, very good over small bumps. The stiction is incredible compared to a 36 with a Luftkappe and green SKF seals. Going over fast brake bumps feels like the level of muting that you get from running a Cushcore, only even moreso. The midstroke support is quite good. It doesn't creak. I "only" paid the pre-order price of like 1,600 instead of whatever ridiculous list price they have now. Their suggested main chamber (+) pressures seem to be pretty close.

The bad: their ramp chamber (++) pressures are ridiculously high. The fork is SUPER progressive, even running much less than what they suggest, and the compression nearly open. They suggest setting ++ to about 155% of +. I dropped that to 120%, and still didn't bottom out when I literally dislocated my shoulder casing a gap with the front. I can take all the air out of both chambers, and it takes my full body weight to compress it to full travel. I'm guessing that's from the initial travel coil (which is non-adjustable).

My friend who has one also weighs like 15+ lbs less than me (but has it on his fucking ebike) is running higher pressures than me, and uses more travel. It might be down to riding style, but I really have to wonder if something's funky with mine. I had a skills coach I've used a few times take a look at it, and his impression was that the LSR was really slow but the HSR was nice and fast. He opened rebound full open but the HSR was too much for me so I slowed it to 1 click faster than EXT's recommendations. I've asked the EXT dealer in the Bay Area to have the coach take a look at his personal fork and see if he's feeling the same thing (they're friends). I haven't had him crack it open or send it in for service because I don't want to deal with the turn-around time.

Anyways, I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, it's great over small rocks and brake bumps, and good midstroke support. On the other, the ramp up at the last 1/3 just feels super firm. The value proposition seems pretty bad, unless you're talking about it in comparison to something like a 36 + Secus, or Zeb + Smashpot. It could be I'm just a hack rider, it could be I got a dud, or it could be something inherent in their design. There doesn't seem to be a clear alternative that ticks all the boxes, and even if there was, with all the supply chain issues I'm reluctant to grab something else to try instead.
just curious, what pressures are you running in the two positive air chambers?

the pressures in the ramp chamber are going to be higher than what you'd run if it was a single air chamber (just like the main chamber is going to be lower). one important thing to remember is that you need to have a certain amount of pressure differential between the 2 chambers in order for it to work properly. for your weight it seems to be about 35 PSI; similar weight/travel on the mattoc would be 40psi, so not too far off. the bigger the differential, the later in the travel the air springs will equalize; the smaller the pressure differential the sooner in the travel the air springs will equalize. if you're setting it with too little of a pressure differential then its going to act more like a regular single air spring and be super progressive.

fwiw i had a similar problem when i was setting up my mattoc for the first time, it was too progressive, i shifted the range down (decreased pressure in both chambers to maintain the same pressure differential) and it was a definite improvement.

for reference, the EXT air chart:

1607349972915.png

the mattoc IRT air chart:

1607350035402.png

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I was (at the time of accident, and through yesterday) running 63+ and 76++ (120%). After yesterday's ride, maximum compression measured by Motion Instruments sensor was 84% / 134mm on a few different step down jumps. Those weren't big in height, but you hit them at full speed, land on a downslope, then it immediately transitions to flat and you're on the brakes, so it should be a pretty solid compression.

I was thinking about it in terms of a differential, but you could be right that it could need to be a certain value. It's good to know that it would behave super progressive if the differential is too little. Maybe I'll try the 154 lb setting (55 / 85), since that ramp value seems a lot closer to what has felt better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was (at the time of accident, and through yesterday) running 63+ and 76++ (120%). After yesterday's ride, maximum compression measured by Motion Instruments sensor was 84% / 134mm on a few different step down jumps. Those weren't big in height, but you hit them at full speed, land on a downslope, then it immediately transitions to flat and you're on the brakes, so it should be a pretty solid compression.

I was thinking about it in terms of a differential, but you could be right that it could need to be a certain value. It's good to know that it would behave super progressive if the differential is too little. Maybe I'll try the 154 lb setting (55 / 85), since that ramp value seems a lot closer to what has felt better.
yea, if you only have a 13 PSI difference, the air springs are gonna equalize super low in the travel, and then ramp up very progressively like a normal single air chamber.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
when i first got the IRT i found the same thing when i had too small of a pressure differential, it was very progressive and i didn't get full travel. when i had my mattoc set at 160mm i had like a 40 or 42 psi differential between the two air springs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if 55/85 feels good, try bumping it to 55/90 to get a 35 psi pressure differential, edit: maybe even try a 40psi differential.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The value proposition seems pretty bad, unless you're talking about it in comparison to something like a 36 + Secus, or Zeb + Smashpot.
One thing on the Smashpot and Secus is you can move them between forks. Same with the HC97 across RS forks. Lyrik/HC97/Secus feels awesome. That said, I'm looking forward to trying the ERA eventually.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@Andeh here's some images from another thread on the topic that helps illustrate how it works:

edit: in POS 2 in the pic below the 2 chambers equalize in pressure, and that's when they both start to compress

1607355086515.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Thanks. I understood how the chambers interact, but I didn't make the connection that the main chamber is so much larger. So running small delta (high main, relatively low ramp) will act more like a normal fork with a lot of pressure in the single chamber. I'll try to bracket around 55/85, 55/90, and 60/90.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks. I understood how the chambers interact, but I didn't make the connection that the main chamber is so much larger. So running small delta (high main, relatively low ramp) will act more like a normal fork with a lot of pressure in the single chamber. I'll try to bracket around 55/85, 55/90, and 60/90.
i'd also suggest trying 50/90 or 55/95 to see how a 40psi differential works/feels.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i remember when the helm launched, someone from CC talked about how they experimented with a dual positive air spring like this, they decided against it because it takes more time to set up. which as you see, can be the case. but once you get it set correctly its definitely a better setup than a single air chamber and token system.

fwiw this is how the DSD runt functions, it adds a second positive air spring. i like the IRT in my mattoc enough i was considering it for my 36, but i have an older version which isn't compatible.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just checked some setup notes...

Mattoc IRT - 45lb pressure differential.
Lyric RUNT - 63lb pressure differential.
i think the pressure differential is driven in part by the overall air spring (chamber) volume. the mattoc has 34mm stanchions, while the lyric is 35mm.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
fwiw this is how the DSD runt functions, it adds a second positive air spring. i like the IRT in my mattoc enough i was considering it for my 36, but i have an older version which isn't compatible.
You can make it compatible with the MRP Fulfill valve. Three independently adjustable air chambers!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
not to shift from the MRP, Manitou focus, but I still cannot be happier with this Lyrik w/ current air spring and HC97 mod. Supportive, smooth, easily fine tuned, and red.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
not to shift from the MRP, Manitou focus, but I still cannot be happier with this Lyrik w/ current air spring and HC97 mod. Supportive, smooth, easily fine tuned, and red.
Do you notice a slight platform feel at the top of travel during smooth seated climbing with the HC97? Mine does it even with LSC wide open. Opens right up if you hit a bump, but still kinda weird feeling. That's the only thing I don't like about it. I just did a back and forth swap between the HC97 and RC 2.1 and the difference in support is even larger than it was with the CR2.0.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
no, i'd need a newer air spring i believe.
Your spring doesn't work because it uses a transfer shaft from the top cap to equalize positive and negative pressure at topout, instead of a dimple in the stanchion. Putting a new spring shaft in there doesn't get you anything because there's no dimple in your stanchion. The Fulfill gets around that by plugging the top of the spring shaft, and adding another valve at the foot nut so you can fill the negative chamber separately.

You physically can't put a newer spring shaft in that generation fork without machining a bit off the negative spring plate so that the snap ring fits.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Your spring doesn't work because it uses a transfer shaft from the top cap to equalize positive and negative pressure at topout, instead of a dimple in the stanchion. Putting a new spring shaft in there doesn't get you anything because there's no dimple in your stanchion. The Fulfill gets around that by plugging the top of the spring shaft, and adding another valve at the foot nut so you can fill the negative chamber separately.

You physically can't put a newer spring shaft in that generation fork without machining a bit off the negative spring plate so that the snap ring fits.
thanks for the explanation. i remember seeing that it wasn't compatible (the runt that is), but never explored why.

and just curious, how much would have to come off the neg spring plate?

so with the fulfill valve i'd be able to run the MRP ramp control or DSD runt?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Do you notice a slight platform feel at the top of travel during smooth seated climbing with the HC97? Mine does it even with LSC wide open. Opens right up if you hit a bump, but still kinda weird feeling. That's the only thing I don't like about it. I just did a back and forth swap between the HC97 and RC 2.1 and the difference in support is even larger than it was with the CR2.0.
I haven't, but I'm sure I'll be looking for it now! :D

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Just checked some setup notes...

Mattoc IRT - 45lb pressure differential.
Lyric RUNT - 63lb pressure differential.
@Andeh
Different fork (Ohlins), but I felt it more helpful to think about % differences.
I ran mine +70% in the second chamber (main chamber x 1.70)

IIRC the DSD Runt recommends approx +100% (main chamber x 2.0) as the starting point (???)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@Andeh
Different fork (Ohlins), but I felt it more helpful to think about % differences.

IIRC the DSD Runt recommends approx +100% (main chamber x 2.0) as the starting point (???)
the ohlins fork has the same style air spring? good to know.

also, stop adding unnecessary equations. ;)

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@Andeh

The IRT at 45lbs differential was at 1.8
The RUNT at 63lbs differential was at 1.7

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, will definitely be watching the ratio. EXT's spec'd ones look to all be right around 1.54.

What I realized though is that they only give one table of suggested pressures for all different fork lengths. But the ramp (++) chamber will be a fixed length, and the main chamber (+) will vary depending on travel configuration. Who knows what length they used as the basis for their table? It could be the base design (170mm), or it could be the shortest (I think 140).

From the Mattoc table that was helpfully posted, you can see that their suggested pressure for a given weight drops by about 28% from 140mm to 170mm, and the chamber ratio increases from 1.5 to 1.69.

Looks like DSD recommends a fixed 2.0 ratio. Ohlins is all over the map, from 2.3 for midgets to 1.64 for clydes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, will definitely be watching the ratio. EXT's spec'd ones look to all be right around 1.54.

What I realized though is that they only give one table of suggested pressures for all different fork lengths. But the ramp (++) chamber will be a fixed length, and the main chamber (+) will vary depending on travel configuration. Who knows what length they used as the basis for their table? It could be the base design (170mm), or it could be the shortest (I think 140).

From the Mattoc table that was helpfully posted, you can see that their suggested pressure for a given weight drops by about 28% from 140mm to 170mm, and the chamber ratio increases from 1.5 to 1.69.

Looks like DSD recommends a fixed 2.0 ratio. Ohlins is all over the map, from 2.3 for midgets to 1.64 for clydes.
When I dropped my mattock to 120mm I increased the pressures and I believe the differential decreased. I didn't write down the numbers like a dummy, but I didn't have to mess around with it much.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

So...
I dont have one but...
It sounds like you need less shimz in the reboundz
And I bet your dislikes would fade

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Air through an orifice aka ramp control is dumb.
The dsd runt isn't.
And adding one and a fulfill will get you a moar Schraders award, but also will be mega adjustable.
My used bike came with MRP ramp control. It sucked. Basically more HSC, but just really inconsistent HSC.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
My used bike came with MRP ramp control. It sucked. Basically more HSC, but just really inconsistent HSC.
Isn't it basically an orifice damper, but for air? I thought we all agreed orifice dampers were the most basic form of damping. At least I recall those infamous Cloud 9 shocks Cane Creek produced at the dawn of the century, and how bad they sucked.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Isn't it basically an orifice damper, but for air? I thought we all agreed orifice dampers were the most basic form of damping. At least I recall those infamous Cloud 9 shocks Cane Creek produced at the dawn of the century, and how bad they sucked.
The only good thing I can say about it is that it made the bike ride so poorly the previous owner sold me the bike so cheap I had to check to make sure it wasn't stolen. It was a bit of a risk but I just had to spend some time undoing all the dumb shit he did to the bike to make it ride well.

Between the MRP and all the spacers he had in the shock it was a wollowy harsh mess.