Quantcast

What Fork To Get?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
If there is, I haven't seen it. Would definitely be interesting.

I've A/B compared the two on the same bike and I'm confident in my assessment that the Zeb feels stiffer, especially in torsion. For whatever that's worth.
This coming from a guy who had a 40 on his "trail bike"
:banana:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
If there is, I haven't seen it. Would definitely be interesting.

I've A/B compared the two on the same bike and I'm confident in my assessment that the Zeb feels stiffer, especially in torsion. For whatever that's worth.
As always, the Germans deliver.

Summary - 38 has class leading fore aft stiffness. Otherwise lateral and torsional stiffness is the same as the Lyrik.

Zeb torsional stiffness = yowzer.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Since I can't find a mezzer thread... has anyone found a cassette tool that works out-of-the-box for taking apart a Mezzer Pro for travel adjustment? I have two park cassette tools (FR-5 and FR-5.2) and neither will fit over the air spring shaft, nor reach the splines with the air spring fully compressed. And I really don't want to spend $65 on the hayes/manitou toolkit for what should be an $8 tool. I also don't have access to a lathe or drill press anymore, and trying to drill out a steel tool by hand sketches me.

OR does anyone in the bay area want to rent/loan me their official hayes tool? Will gladly trade beers or parts.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Since I can't find a mezzer thread... has anyone found a cassette tool that works out-of-the-box for taking apart a Mezzer Pro for travel adjustment? I have two park cassette tools (FR-5 and FR-5.2) and neither will fit over the air spring shaft, nor reach the splines with the air spring fully compressed. And I really don't want to spend $65 on the hayes/manitou toolkit for what should be an $8 tool. I also don't have access to a lathe or drill press anymore, and trying to drill out a steel tool by hand sketches me.

OR does anyone in the bay area want to rent/loan me their official hayes tool? Will gladly trade beers or parts.
I'm in Seattle but I'd mail you mine as a loaner if need be.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Look at Pedro's? I have one and I've seen people run into issues before with the Park stuff due to wall thickness.

Edit: nevermind, current design has changed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I used a dremel. Takes a bit because it's hardened steel.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
That's awesome. DM'd, thanks!
I'm in Seattle but I'd mail you mine as a loaner if need be.
If that ends up not making sense, I guess the angle grinder works too. I don't know why I was only thinking of drilling out one of the two I have, and not cutting the slot. Duh.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's funny, I'm pretty sure the custom slotted one is also made by Unior. I'll check tonight.

That actually might be nicer than the official Manitou tool — I've found it a little flexy with the slot, so it collapses on itself under higher torque. One of the top caps on mine was crazy tight from the factory and getting it off was a little bit of a battle.

@ohio, report back on how that works when you've given it a go.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
other end of the spectrum, i need a 120mm fork. just pulled the trigger on a pipedream sirius s5 frame. what would you get for this bike? sid? 34? pike?
Damn, that's a nice frame. I'd personally go with a Pike for value, ease of service and decent stiffness. I haven't tried the latest airsprings however.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Damn, that's a nice frame. I'd personally go with a Pike for value, ease of service and decent stiffness. I haven't tried the latest airsprings however.
I'm not sure if it was here or elsewhere but I recall the new C3 RockShox air spring getting some flak? I just put one in my 170mm Lyrik for a laff and I'm seriously impressed by it. Small bump seems to be pretty much the same but further into the stroke is much , much better supported. I literally changed no other settings at first - same damper settings and air pressure and did three laps. I ended up speeding rebound up another click and I'm really happy. Not only is it holding up better in steep corners, but in the rough stuff it seems better controlled.

I'm gonna order one for the 140mm Pike on my Smuggler (the upgrade kit here is like $25), or you can get the whole air spring assembly for a little bit more if you're upgrading from an A1 spring.

other end of the spectrum, i need a 120mm fork. just pulled the trigger on a pipedream sirius s5 frame. what would you get for this bike? sid? 34? pike?
One of the local boys here has the new SID and rates it highly. Reckons it isn't an XC fork so much anymore and is more capable than he expected from the SID name. I think the Transition Spur comes with one, and those bikes seem to be getting sent far more than I thought an XC bike could be.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
That actually might be nicer than the official Manitou tool
@ohio, report back on how that works when you've given it a go.
Forgot about this. It did indeed work. Damper rod does occupy the 1/2" square bore so no ratchet/torque wrench, but the external hex worked fine for me and I assume my wristomer nailed the 3Nm torque spec on retightening.