Quantcast

What Fork To Get?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I remember when those idiots started squawking about a 15mm. Never got a valid response except to save some grams and it wasn't much. It was nice when FOX had the adapter to jump between they should all be doing that. Now we have 110 so they already wasted everyone's money and materials.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Since I can't find a mezzer thread... has anyone found a cassette tool that works out-of-the-box for taking apart a Mezzer Pro for travel adjustment? I have two park cassette tools (FR-5 and FR-5.2) and neither will fit over the air spring shaft, nor reach the splines with the air spring fully compressed. And I really don't want to spend $65 on the hayes/manitou toolkit for what should be an $8 tool. I also don't have access to a lathe or drill press anymore, and trying to drill out a steel tool by hand sketches me.

OR does anyone in the bay area want to rent/loan me their official hayes tool? Will gladly trade beers or parts.
You ride bikes now?

Gah !!!

THE NIPS!!

jesus man ....
search before you post and we wouldn't have this problem

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You ride bikes now?
Just take them apart and put them back together in a cold, dark container on treasure island.

I suppose I could try pedaling them around? I hear that's a thing. With Alta dead, I finally have time to, you know, recreate and shit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just take them apart and put them back together in a cold, dark container on treasure island.

I suppose I could try pedaling them around? I hear that's a thing. With Alta dead, I finally have time to, you know, recreate and shit.
Hey dude, sorry about Alta. That's a shame.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Me too, fellas, and I appreciate the thoughts. It'll be resurrected someday or someone else will pick up the torch. There's a good chance for Damon to do it with the help of my old cofounder (and still closest of buds), Derek.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Me too, fellas, and I appreciate the thoughts. It'll be resurrected someday or someone else will pick up the torch. There's a good chance for Damon to do it with the help of my old cofounder (and still closest of buds), Derek.

Fun fact:. When you were starting Alta up you asked me if I was a controls engineer, I wasn't but it sounded cool. So a few years later I went to grad school for controls.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Always wanted to see one of those in person. I was always telling my boss commuting in town aboard one would be awesome.....

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Soooooo from what I gather;

Zeb - Stiffest of the lot. Not a bad fork. Air spring will frustrate those of us that have ridden good suspension so be prepared to spend on an aftermarket fix as I would expect all the tuners to be developing something....or RS will release a D1 air spring which is really B1 old stock.....

Fox 38 - Will/when will it snap crackle pop? Otherwise haven't heard really any other negatives....

Mezzer - It may be really good, it may have QC issues, or it may/will snack crackle pop eventually. Probably has the most potential but also most risk.

This all makes a dual crown all the more tempting. Otherwise it seems that at least the RS has the best chassis of these new forks from what I gather.
My Year as the BoXXer-Trail-Bike-Guy (nsmb.com)

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
I saw a quick one Sam Pilgrim did between a Boxxer and a 40.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I saw a quick one Sam Pilgrim did between a Boxxer and a 40. I can’t remember where, otherwise I’d link it. It definitely made my butthole pucker, seeing how much flex there was even in a DH fork.
there has to be some amount of deflection, or else it'll break or the ride will be excessively harsh. honda learned this with their first alloy MX frames.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
there has to be some amount of deflection, or else it'll break or the ride will be excessively harsh. honda learned this with their first alloy MX frames.
Well, flexing a fork induces binding so stiffer is better but using Gigantor stancions to reduce flex and binding under high load bring additional bushing and seal drag full time thanks to Pi, providing an additional 3.14mm of seal circumference per additional mm of stancion diameter, the bushing area goes up alot as well. So there for sure is a compromise to be struck....

The deal with the Honda chassis is a bit different.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, flexing a fork induces binding so stiffer is better but using Gigantor stancions to reduce flex and binding under high load bring additional bushing and seal drag full time thanks to Pi, providing an additional 3.14mm of seal circumference per additional mm of stancion diameter, the bushing area goes up alot as well. So there for sure is a compromise to be struck....

yea, there's a sweet spot when it comes to stiffness of 2 telescoping elements for sure.

re: honda - a bit different sure, but the underlying principle is similar.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Monster T don’t give a f*ck about your additional seal drag.