Quantcast

what frame is best for me

abduct

Chimp
May 10, 2012
im purchasing a new bike for street parks and dirt jumping and i have two options. the kona shonky for 900$ or the rocky mountain flow 2 for 900$. both are newer frames (2011 or 2012) and both have hydro breaks and 26" tires as well as the same warranties.. im slightly taller and heavier at 6'2" @ 260lbs. what would the best frame for me be. im leaning towards the flow because of its boxed tube style frame and looks stronger. the shonky i was looking at looked way thinner then the flow 2 but im still not sure what one is the best.

thanks for any help.

abduct

Chimp
May 10, 2012
i think i gave plenty of information.

which frame is stronger of the two the rocky mountain flow which is a box tubed aluminum frame or the shonky which is a chromoly steel tube frame with less gussets. seeing how this is in the dirt jumping section and both frames are ment for dirt jumping you could assume this is for dirt jumping.

now if someone could answer which is the stronger fame lol...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I seriously doubt you will be breaking either of those frames. Strength should not be a criteria for buying a modern DJ bike even with your size.

Being that you are tall, finding a comfortable geometry should probably be your first concern.

i think i gave plenty of information...
you want a high or low BB? long or short TT? how long do you like you CS? what about HT angle? standover? more stable or my flicky? more park or dj oriented? do you flow or are you a hack?

it's kind of like dating. we cant point you in the proper direction without the proper information...

as the rock pointed out, you probably won't be breaking any modern dj frames anyway...

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . . im leaning towards the flow because of its boxed tube style frame and looks stronger. the shonky i was looking at looked way thinner then the flow 2 but im still not sure what one is the best.

thanks for any help.
normally i would say chromoly steel is stronger / less brittle than aluminum, but then again it totally depends on which bikes and how well they're made. i know someone who broke a 2009 kona shonky--but kona replaced it . . . .