Quantcast

What frame!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK I just broke it down and I don't really have a preference anymore.
I like SC and Rockmountains because I have rode them. All bikes have downfalls and strong points, problem is I can't buy them all and ride them to get an idea. There seems to be a diversified array of different frames being ridden in here, so some help on picking a new frame.

Coupe of others I've been looking at is the sinister 9, karpeil army (yes I know it's not being made anymore).

I don't need a front der. per say, but would be nice. I like to ride campus, DH, huck drops (flat or transition), go fast and glide through rough terrain.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Your wants are pretty broad.

I would say you need to ignore what people spout on here and go to some shops, call up some homies, and TEST RIDE SOME BIKES. You will find your soul mate.

My only suggestion is, since you admit to hucking to flat, don't get a "race" frame. Get something with some beef. No intense for you. No turner for you.

As much as it hurts me to say it, you might like a norco or a banshee... *shudder*

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
if your close to missoula depending on what part of idaho your in you are welcome to come rip my r9 around any time

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I know it's stupid but I have a small fear of landing on a ranny beacause I can't see the ground. I have done some bigger ones lately but between a 7' to flat or a 4' to tranny and I'll pick the flat.
Landing it doesn't bother me I have alot of upper body strength. My bikes seem to hold so I haven't worried about it yet.
I drop tranny's now but get that hot feeling in my neck before dropping.
So anyhow I'm open to suggestions and If dropping to flat has to stop in order to get a good frame then so be it.
Are the turners a pretty good freeride bike?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
dexter said:
if your close to missoula depending on what part of idaho your in you are welcome to come rip my r9 around any time
I appreciate that, I'm a little far unless doing a riding trip. Maybe this spring we can get Kanter and a few others and go ride though.
What do you think of your r9 and any pics?
As far as being able to ride a good frame or buddues frame around here, . sorry forgot to type what my thought were, I was LMAO!
he best frame in this part is a entry level specialized rock hopper or a sin frame.
If I had access to a local store or buddies with money to buy a nice frame I'd ake advantage of it. Instead they drive dodges and talk about what they have killed lately. But thats another post.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
bullcrew said:
If dropping to flat has to stop in order to get a good frame then so be it.
The banshee and norco aren't "bad" frames. They are frames designed for a certain sort of riding. Definitely more on the slow, wheelie-drop, ladder-bridge side of things. The banshee is also pretty over-built.

bullcrew said:
Are the turners a pretty good freeride bike?
1) "freeride" is not a specific enough word. What EXACTLY do you need the bike to do? A turner is NOT the best bike for riding skinny ladder-bridges and dropping to flat. It will work best for fast courses, although not quite so much so as a V10 or DH-9 or something like that.

A bike that's "good" is one that is suited to the riding you want to do on it. From your description of what you ride, a trendy "race" frame will not be the best match.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
bullcrew said:
I don't need a front der. per say, but would be nice. I like to ride campus, DH, huck drops (flat or transition), go fast and glide through rough terrain.

Specialized Demo9 lifetime warantry, takes a beating, is smooth through the rough, and soaks up drops. oh, and can use a front der. if need be

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
quickneonrt said:
Specialized Demo9 lifetime warantry, takes a beating, is smooth through the rough, and soaks up drops. oh, and can use a front der. if need be
I second that nomination. You should also check out the Demo 8, it's a little lighter but is still smooth and it's got the lifetime warranty.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
turner and intense are full on race rigs. yeh they can handle big drops and jumps, but you need to keep in mind these are on race courses and are taken at speed and done to transitions. they arent full huck rigs which are made to handle nothing but pure drops and can be done at speed or at a creeping speed. race rigs are made to perform at speed and have very sluggish steering at slower speeds which freeride bikes are made for. so unless you are planning on doing a lot of racing then id say stay away from a pure race rig man.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
frznnomad said:
turner and intense are full on race rigs. yeh they can handle big drops and jumps, but you need to keep in mind these are on race courses and are taken at speed and done to transitions. they arent full huck rigs which are made to handle nothing but pure drops and can be done at speed or at a creeping speed. race rigs are made to perform at speed and have very sluggish steering at slower speeds which freeride bikes are made for. so unless you are planning on doing a lot of racing then id say stay away from a pure race rig man.
Good note, I'll make sure to stray from the full dh rigs.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
KNolly Vtach. It can huck huge. You can ride it uphill. If I had the money I would have a Vtach with a Rocco. It could be a do all bike.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Knolly V-tach frame and Progressive 5th Element rear shock

MSRP: $3900 CAD / $3200 USD

** Pearlescent White Frame is a special order
MSRP: $4100 CAD / $3250 USD

That's alot of loot!! You can get a complete Demo9 or 8 for less than that. You can get an Intense frame for less.
Kanter what is so special about these frames??

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I would suggest an R9. They are very strong bikes. Only 1 has ever been broken and it was replaced with a custom strengthened model. The R9 can be set up as a race bike or a FR/huck bike. I have seen both and the frames hold up very well. It pedals pretty decently for a linkage'd single pivot. And I am sure that if you talked to Frank up at Sinister he could make you a raw frame so you could do your own powder coating and the like.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
quickneonrt said:
Knolly V-tach frame and Progressive 5th Element rear shock

MSRP: $3900 CAD / $3200 USD

** Pearlescent White Frame is a special order
MSRP: $4100 CAD / $3250 USD

That's alot of loot!! You can get a complete Demo9 or 8 for less than that. You can get an Intense frame for less.
Kanter what is so special about these frames??
Like I said.... if I had the money.

Well, they are super stiff with the 4x4 linkage. The seatangle is awesome. When you put the seat up, it goes back so you can stretch out and ride uphill. When you put the seat down, it goes forward and out of the way for DH/FR. It has a long straight seat tube. The CNC is top notch. Its made by Noel in Vancouver, actually Burnaby. Its 4 bar linkage. Looks awesome. Would be sweet in white with a white 888. I have a PDF file will pics of all the colors they offer if you would like to see. PM me your email.

The price is a bit steep. I agree. Like I said, if I had the money.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Have you checked out the VP-Free yet? 8+ inches in back for your drop to flat needs (I know, I would rather drop to flat than transition as well) and the VPP technology still allows it to be pedallable. Paired with something like a 888, you would still be able to climb hills and race DH, yet have all the travel you needed for hucking.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
This is great, I like the different frames being suggested. I never thought of morewood and neer heard of the other. Bth look great and give me more ideas.
I am going to buy a new frame in the next 3 weeks, just have to decide. Keep the suggestions rolling, I'll be riding it for a year which for m is a long time, so I need all possible options.
The demo's are nice looking.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The morewood izumu looks alot like my bullit, with exception of a more slack head angle and the pivot sems to be further up the downtube.
The bullit with a raked 8" fork and a floating brake coupled with a 24" rear whel would put the geometry pretty close to it. The 24 would lower the bb as well as give a more slack head angle.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
You can buy the Morewood straigh from the company. They are small and you will talk directly to one of the 3 employees! They are very affordable, as well.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Read the magazine reviews of the Moorewood. There were a few complaints if I remember right.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
The review in the MBA had zero complaints about the bike. just the fork that was supplied for the test. The has never been a review of any sort in Bike.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yep it was MBA. Ill have to reread it. I thought they had a lot of complaints about it.

Ive never ridden one before but its a single pivot like the Bullit he has already.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm going to jump in and offer my $0.02 on the Morewood. I've raced a Yeti DH9 for the last two years. The Moreood guys are somewhat local to me and they asked me to demo a Izimu.

I have to admit that I was VERY skeptical about a single pivot vs. my beloved DH9. But I rode it at Windrock and was BLOWN away with its performance. Its super light, nimble and handles square-edge hits WAY better than my DH9, which is a trait that was starting to keep me from getting faster. Just like most bikes, even the DH9, its way faster and smoother the more you lay off the brakes. However this bike wants to fly. I was super impressed with how it wanted to skip and jump its way down the course. Yet it was also very at home just plowing straight down steep rock gardens. Plus with its low weight (41 lbs with DH tubes), I could start pumping the bike in long rock gardens to build my speed. I found that anytime I felt like it was loosing momentum, I just could start pumping and hopping and it would accelerate out of trouble. That was MUCH harder to do with the DH9. With the DH9 I had to plan ahead and carry all my momentum into a section and if I messed up it was hell getting it back up to speed.

The single pivot vs. linkage vs. vpp is a lot of hype. With shock techonolgy as good as it is today I don't think its as important.

This bike is not a Bullit with slacker head angle. The Izimu had so much adjustment it was crazy. I had it set up with a 65 head angle, 46 wheelbase, and 14" BB. You can't get that with a Bullit, not matter what crap you do it (24" rear wheel :rolleyes: ).

I've been thinking long and hard about it and I'm asking Morewood for a grassroots sponsorship based on how the bike performs. I love Yeti and I raced on their grassroots for the last two years, but I think the Morewood will make me a faster racer.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
i would also get the morewood, i am looking at the shova, a little lighter, 7 inches and a little more freeride friendly(slightly steeper angles) excellent quality and when you call or email they are very helpful with any questions you may have. http://www.morewoodbikes.com/

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
It seems like every frame has been mentioned except the Rotec RL9. The proto was taken to whistler a few times and handled everything. The frame is very strong and can take any hit. The Rotec is not to mention the fastest race bike you will ever ride!!!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
profro said:
I'm going to jump in and offer my $0.02 on the Morewood. I've raced a Yeti DH9 for the last two years. The Moreood guys are somewhat local to me and they asked me to demo a Izimu.
Yeah, no local # and cannot find a price. I had my bullit not to far off the specs. Had a 14.75bb, 67" wb, 67 head angle and thats with a 26" not a 24.
Loved it and it handled well, I like the design and would be willing to give it a look.
PM me a # to the man and I'll call. I looked around and it looks good.