Quantcast

What gearcable?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by tanja, Oct 10, 2005.

1. tanja

tanja Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hi, I have a question. On my SC Bullit I have to replace my outer gearcable regularly, like every 1-1,5 month. I use regular outercable's with stoppers, but the wires come out anyway and I getting sick of it. My lbs thinks I eat this stuff :) and I'm always worried at races. Are there REAL tough cables I can get?? Thanks!!!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MDBullit

MDBullit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    pick up some NOKON housing kits.

3. DHCorky

DHCorky Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Are you using the correct ends on your housing? Some ends have slightly large holes(brake) that let the wires of the housing pull through without much effort.

Your shiffting techniques might also cause it. The thing that causes the wires to push through is the housing being compressed. Do you shift without pedalling, or mash through the gears. Anytime you shift and the derailluer is not allowed to move right away will cause the housing to be put under extra stress.

4. JRB

JRB Guest

Rep/Likes:
    0 / N/A
    So it's blowing out in the curls??? I have never had that problem. XTR sets are sealed well. If it is blowing out the housing, I would try Nokian too.

5. beaverbiker

beaverbiker Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    run full housing

6. Tenchiro

Tenchiro Attention K Mart Shoppers

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I run the Avid flak jackets and they seem to be solid.

7. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 8
    I would check how it's routed (not rubbing on anything) and make sure it's installed correctly. There is no way you should be blowing through housing that fast unless something is wrong.

8. tanja

tanja Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Oke, I'm back, thanks guys. I run a full cable all the way. I thought I was pretty descent with the shifting of gears, keeping the chainline in mind you know. But I do shift while pedeling, not usually under strain, but it happens. So it might be a combination of that and crappy housing. It's a thin cable and the housing doesn't close too well.

9. DHS

DHS Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    i've always used the QBP housing. i buy BULK. its about twice the size as shimano crap. and has a red tube inside the cable that comes with lube in it. works great. even better with stainless steel cables.

10. tanja

tanja Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Do you perhaps know where I can get these online?

11. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Seriously, no gear outer cable should need changing that often, it can't be an issue of quality - there's something wrong with your setup.