Quantcast

What gearcable?

tanja

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Hi, I have a question. On my SC Bullit I have to replace my outer gearcable regularly, like every 1-1,5 month. I use regular outercable's with stoppers, but the wires come out anyway and I getting sick of it. My lbs thinks I eat this stuff :) and I'm always worried at races. Are there REAL tough cables I can get?? Thanks!!!

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Are you using the correct ends on your housing? Some ends have slightly large holes(brake) that let the wires of the housing pull through without much effort.

Your shiffting techniques might also cause it. The thing that causes the wires to push through is the housing being compressed. Do you shift without pedalling, or mash through the gears. Anytime you shift and the derailluer is not allowed to move right away will cause the housing to be put under extra stress.

J

JRB

So it's blowing out in the curls??? I have never had that problem. XTR sets are sealed well. If it is blowing out the housing, I would try Nokian too.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I would check how it's routed (not rubbing on anything) and make sure it's installed correctly. There is no way you should be blowing through housing that fast unless something is wrong.

tanja

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Oke, I'm back, thanks guys. I run a full cable all the way. I thought I was pretty descent with the shifting of gears, keeping the chainline in mind you know. But I do shift while pedeling, not usually under strain, but it happens. So it might be a combination of that and crappy housing. It's a thin cable and the housing doesn't close too well.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i've always used the QBP housing. i buy BULK. its about twice the size as shimano crap. and has a red tube inside the cable that comes with lube in it. works great. even better with stainless steel cables.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Seriously, no gear outer cable should need changing that often, it can't be an issue of quality - there's something wrong with your setup.