Quantcast

What good has Bush done?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
no no, serious question.

We're always bashing him and I actually don't know what positive legislation, diplomatic papers, or whatever his Admin has achieved, so please list them.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Well, before Bush I certainly took for granted things like personal liberties but now I actually understand that these things have value and need to be constantly protected. Seriously.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Well, before Bush I certainly took for granted things like personal liberties but now I actually understand that these things have value and need to be constantly protected. Seriously.

That's actually a very valid point.

I'm sure you're referring to positive accomplishments for everyone, however if you're with the right, big business or just plain rich, I'd say he's had a ton of accomplishments. Other than that I seriously can't think of anything off the top of my head that his administration has done to benefit the rest of us.

Unless of course you count the $600 check I may get in the next few months. :clapping:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
We're always bashing him and I actually don't know what positive legislation, diplomatic papers, or whatever his Admin has achieved, so please list them.
- vetoed SCHIP & fed funding of embryonic stem cells.
- gave a pissload of money to african nations for teh canada-loving ass aids
- every measure of gwot funding w/o any opposition party strings
- proved that truly most anyone can get re-elected. you know how bad that makes carter look? [silver: "and his dad..."]
- no child lef^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
- medicare drug prescription program
- got us to talk & hopefully learn

as far as that whole m.e. peace thing...yeah...i'm going to have to ask you to leave now. i bet those pesky palis blew the egyptian border out of spite for his overreaching.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
- proved that truly most anyone can get re-elected. you know how bad that makes carter look? [silver: "and his dad..."]

as far as that whole m.e. peace thing...yeah...i'm going to have to ask you to leave now. i bet those pesky palis blew the egyptian border out of spite for his overreaching.
Most of those are based on opinion and I'll give you them but no child left behind is probably one of the biggest cluster****s if you ask me. All it has done is lower the level of education for all children to the level of the last percentile. Sometimes you need to let the turds sink to the bottom.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
He gave us the Department of Homeland Security, so we can all sleep better at night.

He proved how important the UN is by appointing John Bolton as Permanent US Representative to the UN.

He also put together this awesome economic stimulus package that will save us all before he leave office.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
was that good?
i believe so, b/c it treated the economic symptom while failing to leave a broken healthcare system intact. i see it as enabling poor administration, so for it to be vetoed could be viewed as ironic.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Actually made some (only some) Christians aware that republican legislators lie to get their vote.

He's also given Cheney several heart attacks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Are you kidding?

That pissload of money to african nations came with the stipulation that condom use is not an option in education and that abstinence would be the means.

The medicare program was nothing more than bending over for pfizer and the like.

Vetoed federally funded stem cell research: please explain the benefits of that one to me. You're not that jesus freaky are you?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
AFAIK the only 'good' thing is the increase in pure aid money to Africa. Actually I'm not really sure that is a good thing anyway.

Seriously the hideousness outweighs the good by 100 times at least.

Worst president ever.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
He's also given Cheney several heart attacks.
anybody who shoots a lawyer in the face and gets away with it is alright in my books. leave the onion eater alone.

and i've stopped making fun of SHRUB... every since I saw Little Bush

... the cheerleader episode was an instant classic ...

he's got a great team that was able to lie it's way out of anything. class act. oh, and I need a passport now to cross his undefended border. nice. that's okay... and thanks for refusing to sign Kyoto because helping the environment now to save the economy later is not such a great idea. especially if you cannot spell potato or bring the fight to the terrorists in the land of oil... but he did it. hat's off. he caught Saddam Hussein (i have a watch with his pic on it from Iraq :D )... Bin Laden's still a large, but I remember SHRUB saying he wasn't concerned about him anymore (last I heard... years ago when I cared).

he's probably pleased with his effort, despite having lots of time off (I think I sound like Michael Moore...), so let him have his day in the spotlight. hopefully your country will take this opportunity to elect someone to office who might make a plausible difference, even if there are voting irregularities or you don't win the popular vote.

still, anything can happen, right?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I don't really think he was 'supposed' to do anything positive. I think it was all about facilitating his buddies at the top, make money and start a war and have fun while doing it.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Damn, the internet must be maturing....18 posts in and no-one started a lame Life Of Brian, "What have the Romans ever done for us" line.
:thumb:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Although I hardly think it's significant in the face of the damage, he did help the dumb assault weapons ban expire without renewal.

Even if you're for gun control, you have to admit that the ban accomplished nothing significant.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
He helped a whole lot of people realize that they were smart enough to become president.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
$tinkle said:
vetoed SCHIP
was that good?
ok, some follow up to demonstrate through example how this bloated system could be exploited.

remember graeme frost, a second-grader who famously rebutted bush's veto of s-chip? he was the lad who had a severe accident & would have not been able to receive financial/medical aid if not for the golden goose known as s-chip (his family chose to not have health insurance). his father owns his company, where his mother also works. on paper, their income is $45K/annum. the rest of their assets are protected in an LLC. but somehow, they manage to send wee graeme & his sister (who was also severely injured in the same auto accident) to a private grammar school to the tune of $20k/year each. this on top the fact they live in a 3,000+ sq ft house valued over half a mill.

point is, americans are living far more lavishly than our lazy gov't would care to find out, and s-chip enables them. as we can see from the subprime debacle, we need to sack up & start making sound, responsible decisions. the gov't should exist to protect us, and not for reasons of co-dependency.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm not sure I'm willing to punish so many poor children cuz a few a-holes exploit the system.

In fact, I'm positive I'm not.
nor i.
but i won't stop there. if they're truly poor - not poor cuz they cook books - they're covered under medicaid. s-chip is for those middle-class types who've made really ****ty decisions at the expense of their kids' health.

why don't we meet half-way: for those middle-class parents who aren't able/willing to pony up the cash by selling off some stock or re-fi their mcmansion, these kids should be put into the foster system with all the other 'lesser' children. that's what the system does to children who they see as having picked irresponsible parents.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Although I hardly think it's significant in the face of the damage, he did help the dumb assault weapons ban expire without renewal.

Even if you're for gun control, you have to admit that the ban accomplished nothing significant.
He got rid of something worthless? Simply by replacing Bush the next pres will have accomplished just as much in their first minute in office.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
nor i.
but i won't stop there. if they're truly poor - not poor cuz they cook books - they're covered under medicaid. s-chip is for those middle-class types who've made really ****ty decisions at the expense of their kids' health.

why don't we meet half-way: for those middle-class parents who aren't able/willing to pony up the cash by selling off some stock or re-fi their mcmansion, these kids should be put into the foster system with all the other 'lesser' children. that's what the system does to children who they see as having picked irresponsible parents.
hmm, I see what you're saying, so we'll go with that as a positive for GWB's legacy, since that's what my intention was with this thread.

Taking the derail train... I think we should have free universal healthcare, so maybe the SCHIP is the beginning? Maybe it should be expanded to ALL minors, regardless of wealth?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He got rid of something worthless? Simply by replacing Bush the next pres will have accomplished just as much in their first minute in office.
Considering he didn't do anything (just let it expire) that wouldn't count as getting something done.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
He rearranged daylight savings time back about a month in the spring and up by a week in the fall. As far being able to bike after work during daylight hours goes, he's the best president ever.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Taking the derail train... I think we should have free universal healthcare, so maybe the SCHIP is the beginning? Maybe it should be expanded to ALL minors, regardless of wealth?
for things like non-urgent care, i don't have much disagreement there. where i balk is the major stuff that breaks the back of hospitals (and in border town gets them closed).

i guess it doesn't really matter how an acl gets torn: whether it's deshawn playing 3-man or cole on the moguls.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Considering he didn't do anything (just let it expire) that wouldn't count as getting something done.
if you had spent even one tour in the air force you would know you get a ribbon every other quarter for leaving schyte alone.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
hmm, I see what you're saying, so we'll go with that as a positive for GWB's legacy, since that's what my intention was with this thread.

Just incrementing medicaid coverage to eventually include everyone and keeping the healthcare system the same as it is would be a disaster. Any universal coverage plan needs to start with a ground up reorganization of the cluster**** that exists today. Of course too many wealthy and powerfull companies have their hands deep in the cookie jar to ever let this happen.