Quantcast

What GPS

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
My father decided we need a GPS, every month we need to deliver results and publicity to doctors all around the state, most of the times on very ****ty roads, on a good day we drive about 300 km, and just one or two know the exact location of the doctor. We decided that if we could mark the route and the location of the doctor with a GPS will be the smartest thing to do.
I want to know what is the best GPS system between 200 and 500 dlls. Every year we drive to the US, so it would be nice if we could have maps of the cities (streets and popular places, something like the GPS that comes with Hertz)
Thanks

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Garmin is one of the most popular brands out there. I have no firsthand experience with it, but a lot of athletes use them to track their location and mileage. Supposedly their performance is pretty good, but I've been told reception can be spotty when you're in a forest canopy. Some interweb searching should get you some good info and reviews. Good luck.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Thanks a lot, i´ve been searching and its between 2 systems

the Magellan Roadmate 760 North America w/ Built-in Maps 20 GB Internal Memory
Audible turn-by-turn Navigation TrueView 3D Navigation
Auto Re-route & Smart Detour Large 3.80" Touchscreen
------------------------------------------------
Garmin eTrex vista Cx Outdoor handheld gps
64 MB microSD card for MapSource data gives you the versatility of adding highly detailed maps
Barometric altimeter provides extremely accurate elevation for hikers and climbers
Electronic compass so you can get a heading when standing still
256-color, sunlight-readable display makes it easy to distinguish map details and see where you’re going
Support for English, Spanish, Portugese, and French languages.
Automatic route generation, off-route recalculation, turn-by-turn directions with alert tones, and icon-driven menus for finding points of interest (when combined with Garmin’s optional MapSource® CDs) navigate you safely to your destination
Longer battery life for more hours of outdoor enjoyment
Mini-USB port for fast, convenient download of map data from Garmin’s entire library of optional MapSource CDs using a PC

The garmin might be more usefull cause it can be used for any treking/biking experience.

Any help would be very appreciated

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Mine is a portable, color, waterproof version for biking/fishing and does not have a voice/handsfree mode, so ya got me. My brother uses a TomTom, my bud uses a Garmin and both were under $500, though.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
the garmin vista is really nice i just bought one the other day although ive only had one short use with it my first impressions are good. the down side is the unit is 350 plus you have to buy the topograhpy software which is a hundo for the whole US. it sounds like you'll need the streets version as well which is expensive.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I have a Garmin that I use for riding, hiking, boating.... nothing in the car though. I've heard good things about the Magellan products too.