Quantcast

What Greatness Does Mr. Jobs Bring The World Tomorrow?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It might not be the same segment, but the OEM that makes some of the various Apple products already has lighter notebook with SSD standard - the Asus Eee - sells for $300-400 right now depending on configuration - just under 2 lbs. Does everything an average computer would just more slowly. It can run Linux (default), Windows, or OSX(hacked). Easily user upgradeable to 2GB ram:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-4g/4505-3121_7-32466960.html?tag=prod.txt.1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=asus+eee&x=0&y=0

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I never used the word fanboy. And I'm certainly not an "Apple Nerd" - I have 2 PC's and 3 Apple's. I like the Apple's better but they are just tools for a job. Nothing to get excited about.

Just giving you a hard time.
:stupid:

My Intel based Dell laptop at work is great. Reliable and trouble free. I use it in terrible conditions (dust, moisture, etc).

My AMD based Ubuntu PC at home is great. Reliable and trouble free, relatively fast, super stable and cheap. (I built it)

My band uses Macs with Digidesign hardware and Protools software to record demos and rehearsals. They work great most of the time except some third party issues (Digidesign mostly).

The keyboardist from our band uses a Macbook Pro for live performances running Kontact sample software. It works great.

A computer is a tool.

So is n8.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A flash version would be cool. Is it hardened? Makes the most sense for abusive environments. Other than for geek apeal I don't really care about thinner.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It might not be the same segment, but the OEM that makes some of the various Apple products already has lighter notebook with SSD standard - the Asus Eee - sells for $300-400 right now depending on configuration - just under 2 lbs. Does everything an average computer would just more slowly. It can run Linux (default), Windows, or OSX(hacked). Easily user upgradeable to 2GB ram:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-4g/4505-3121_7-32466960.html?tag=prod.txt.1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=asus+eee&x=0&y=0
I actually saw one of those yesterday when I bought a new keyboard for my computer...it was running Ubuntu. Looked like a cool little machine.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

Thanks for this link.

I think my wife is getting one of those from me for a present when she has the baby. Those are awesome.

SD card slot = straight from her DSLR into the laptop. She already loves Ubuntu so this is a no-brainer.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
A flash version would be cool. Is it hardened? Makes the most sense for abusive environments. Other than for geek apeal I don't really care about thinner.
Not really geek appeal. I have 40 some odd flights this year. Small and light is perfect when I already have to lug around 60lbs in camera gear.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks for this link.

I think my wife is getting one of those from me for a present when she has the baby. Those are awesome.

SD card slot = straight from her DSLR into the laptop. She already loves Ubuntu so this is a no-brainer.
I think its worth it to upgrade the memory from 512MB, its so cheap these days.

The distro Asus uses by default is only optimized for up to 1GB, there is a user created version that will use all 2GB. I think standard Ubuntu would work, but you'd want to tweak the UI to turn off some of the UI effects so it runs quicker. If you google the Asus Eee you'll be able to find various user forums with more info on it - I don't know if its easier to install standard Ubuntu or the 2GB tweaked Asus distro.

edit: Oh yeah they are coming out with a nicer version with a bigger screen - it was at CES this year...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I think standard Ubuntu would work, but you'd want to tweak the UI to turn off some of the UI effects so it runs quicker. If you google the Asus Eee you'll be able to find various user forums with more info on it - I don't know if its easier to install standard Ubuntu or the 2GB tweaked Asus distro.

I'd most likely do a fresh install.

In Ubuntu Gutsy it's just 1 button click to turn off Compiz, etc. in user preferences. I run mine lean. (the rubbery windows are fvcking annoying anyway!)

Edit:
Actually that thing screams Xubuntu....hmm.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
:stupid:

My Intel based Dell laptop at work is great. Reliable and trouble free. I use it in terrible conditions (dust, moisture, etc).

My AMD based Ubuntu PC at home is great. Reliable and trouble free, relatively fast, super stable and cheap. (I built it)

My band uses Macs with Digidesign hardware and Protools software to record demos and rehearsals. They work great most of the time except some third party issues (Digidesign mostly).

The keyboardist from our band uses a Macbook Pro for live performances running Kontact sample software. It works great.

A computer is a tool.

So is n8.
Wow a Digidesign system having problems go figure. Thanks to Protools I can't upgrade to 10.4.11 or 10.5 which would fix my wifi problem.
I prefer Apple to PC but they aren't perfect ,and I'll be sticking with them.
I'm to much a realist to be a fanboy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wow a Digidesign system having problems go figure. Thanks to Protools I can't upgrade to 10.4.11 or 10.5 which would fix my wifi problem.
I prefer Apple to PC but they aren't perfect ,and I'll be sticking with them.
I'm to much a realist to be a fanboy.
The proprietary nature of Protools software AND the fact that you need to use the proprietary hardware has given us endless headaches.

This version of M-Box will only work with that version Protools will only work with this version of OSX, etc etc etc.

When it works, it works great, but the obsolescence that is built into that forces version changes and conflivts is almost criminal.

Have you looked at Ardour? That is my next project as far as my home machine goes - a Linux audio workstation.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
The proprietary nature of Protools software AND the fact that you need to use the proprietary hardware has given us endless headaches.

This version of M-Box will only work with that version Protools will only work with this version of OSX, etc etc etc.

When it works, it works great, but the obsolescence that is built into that forces version changes and conflivts is almost criminal.

Have you looked at Ardour? That is my next project as far as my home machine goes - a Linux audio workstation.
Since my system has been stable for the last 8 months I think I got it set right I'm not going to change a thing, well until Digi approves 10.4.11 or 10.5 then I'll upgrade (hopefully this summer when I get a couple of months free to test it out)