Quantcast

What Greatness Does Mr. Jobs Bring The World Tomorrow?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Is he finally coming out of the closet?
Bwahahahaha...

New MBs.

I was at the apple store today. I asked the girl this:

Me: "So theoretically...if a new MB was released tomorrow, when would it be available here?"

Girl: "Uhhh...let me go see if someone knows."

*girl leaves, and returns*

Girl: "I'm not allowed to say anything about new product releases pre-Mac World."

*girl winks*

Me: "I...see."

I hope she wasn't ****ing with me. :(

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm thinking a bit of WiFi goodness in some respect, but can't figure out why they've cropped their logo for the first time ever.

BV, I commuted 32 miles back and forth today, made a couple stops after work, installed Leopard on my Mac Mini finally (without 1 problem), so I'm too tired to play ya prick. :biggrin:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
it's getting exceedingly harder to tell who's sucking harder on Jobs' tip, stinkyboy or transcend.
Engadget has a post dedicated to them though:busted:

Engadget said:
Zealots lineup for Jobs' keynote
Posted Jan 15th 2008 3:31AM by Thomas Ricker
Filed under: Misc. Gadgets

Look at that. Five of the faithful lined-up since noon Monday for Tuesday morning's MacWorld keynote address by Steve Jobs. Not a girlfriend in sight. We presume that their eyes rolled-back in prostrated worship once the photo opp ended.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
Finally sounds like they've made appletv worth while.. hd rentals, flickr photo sharing, music podcasts, etc over your HDTV or surround sound system...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
10:08: The rumors were true: "Today we're introducing a third kind of notebook, and it's called the MacBook Air. In a sentence, it's the world's thinnest notebook."

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
"10:16: There are three things in the guts of the Macbook Air. It's got a 1.8-inch hard drive, just like the iPod Classic. This one ships with 80GBs, and you've got the option of a "pricey" 64GB solid-state drive, according to Steve.

10:15: Double-tapping moves a whole window, rather than just the cursor. Moving around a photo is like on the iPhone, a two-finger approach on the touchpad when viewing a photo. Pinching, as well, zooms in and out of photos, just like on the iPhone.

10:14: It's got a 13.3-inch display, and it's LED backlit. It has the same built-in iSight camera as the other notebooks, and it's got what Jobs claims is a full-size keyboard, which is also backlit. The trackpad is "generous" and it has multitouch gesture support that expands upon the gesture support already present in Macbooks."

D:

64gb of flash? HOLY CHIT.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
"10:25: It weighs 3 pounds, comes with 2GBs of memory standard, an 80GB standard hard drive, and 802.11n. It's going to cost $1,799 in that configuration; that's a pretty aggressive price. Shipments start in two weeks. No word on the price with solid-state drives, but that likely won't be cheap."

Not that expensive. The flash one is $3100 though... daaaamn.

Dell? Really...fail. Not just fail, but epic fail. Dell builds some of the ****tiest mainstream tech products available.

No MB redesign? Upset... :(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
blue: Your singular experience thinking that it represents the entire industry? Fail. Epic fail.

The industry statistics say that the difference in failure rates between laptops is small - and Dell's was only 1% worse than your special little Macbook, which was 1% worse than the best laptops. I've supported a hell of a lot of notebooks and Dell's simply aren't any worse than any other mainstream (non-premium) notebook. Even the premium notebooks are only marginally better and mostly are simply an improvement in build quality.

Sorry, try again :rolleyes:

There is no doubt, though, that those notebooks look pretty nice.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
blue: Your singular experience thinking that it represents the entire industry? Fail. Epic fail.

The industry statistics say that the difference in failure rates between laptops is small - and Dell's was only 1% worse than your special little Macbook. I've supported a hell of a lot of notebooks and Dell's simply aren't any worse than any other mainstream (non-premium) notebook. Even the premium notebooks are only marginally better and mostly are simply an improvement in build quality.

Sorry, try again :rolleyes:
Yeeeh...tell that to owners of the four Dell laptops (all new in the past 2 years) I've had to fvck with in the past 6 months. 3 are essentially dead (or crippled), and one runs on a shoestring only after some external HDD jury-rigging. They build craptacular products with a craptacular warranty and craptacular support/service. I guess "failure" only counts if the machine completely stops working. 2 of the owners have gone/are going to Macbooks, one has gone to a local custom laptop builder with exceptional service and warranty.

MB with applecare=win.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
The funniest part about this thread are the PC fans (BV, Narlus) that just can't tear themselves away from this thread :D

Why don't you guys go start a thread about the latest and greatest PC gizmo?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
blue said:
MB with applecare=win.
Yeah...because Macbooks are, you know, fully without widespread gremlins like overheating (both hardware and firmware related), picky RAM issues, screen problems, hard drive corruptions and the like.

Don't be retarded. All brands have issues.

If you want to pay for Applecare, you can pay for an upgraded Dell service contract as well. Incidentally, I've dealt with Dell a few times on warranty and each time they have shipped me a new item (overnight) prior to receiving the old one, and sent me a pre-paid return label for the old item.

BTW, my Thinkpad is less than 3lbs and spec'ing it out, it looks like it comes in at a solid $500 less than the Macbook. It's not a bash on Apple, just an observation that your experience isn't anywhere near what the real world is and you pay a hell of a lot of money for the privilege of owning that Apple logo.

Aaron, I think my history in this forum pretty much speaks for itself. I like looking at what Apple is doing, they do some good stuff. That's why I'm interested - I am not a "PC Fanboy" as you Apple nerds are so quick to label anyone with anything negative to say about Apple. I've recommended iPods to many people despite their technical inferiority because I completely understand that it's not all about technical specs and Apple's UI designs are top notch.

If you don't want discussion about it, don't discuss it. I'm not bashing anyone, just pointing out to blue that, while he is quick to do a blanket dismissal of Dell products, they aren't all bad. It wasn't even originally about Dell - there was a mention of the 64gb SSD and I, in return, mentioned that they had been available for quite some time.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
meh.

two posts is 'unable to tear away'?

the only announcement which has me on the edge of the seat is the one which happens a week from thursday.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Aaron, I think my history in this forum pretty much speaks for itself. I like looking at what Apple is doing, they do some good stuff. That's why I'm interested - I am not a "PC Fanboy" as you Apple nerds are so quick to label anyone with anything negative to say about Apple. I've recommended iPods to many people despite their technical inferiority because I completely understand that it's not all about technical specs and Apple's UI designs are top notch.
I never used the word fanboy. And I'm certainly not an "Apple Nerd" - I have 2 PC's and 3 Apple's. I like the Apple's better but they are just tools for a job. Nothing to get excited about.

Just giving you a hard time.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nothing to get excited about.
Meh, not really excited, just saying that I actually am interested in Apple's announcements - I'm not pulling the syadasti trolling of Apple threads :p

In other news, Apple sux0rz and I hope Steve Jobs gets anal SARS.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If it was 15" I would order one right now. I don't need ethernet or an optical drive (have never used the one on my powerbook). Oh well 13" is no good for photos. I want small and mulittouch though. :(

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
BTW, I would speculate that well-designed products that are easy for the bulk of consumers to use are technically superior despite side by side feature comparisons. Ipod winz.

However, I will admit my Ipod Shuffles have been horrible little pieces of **** and I am on my third in a year, but they work perfectly for my trail running program so I am a glutton for punishment. Last time though.