Quantcast

What happened to Canfield Bros?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I don't think anybody knows for sure, but the consistent rumors are that one of them left the company, the other one is keeping it going, and presumably there isn't much going on with them at the moment because there are now half as many employees and the half that are left spent all his time working on the Revel carbon frame and will maybe use those sweet sweet royalty checks to get the company back on track soonish, or not soonish.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow, those Revel guys must be real go getters- Order by 1:30pm PST Aug 19th, and we will ship on Aug 18th. Time remaining to order: 21h 40m

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't think anybody knows for sure, but the consistent rumors are that one of them left the company, the other one is keeping it going, and presumably there isn't much going on with them at the moment because there are now half as many employees and the half that are left spent all his time working on the Revel carbon frame and will maybe use those sweet sweet royalty checks to get the company back on track soonish, or not soonish.
another rumor i heard is that is that not jumping full tilt onto the carbon bandwagon hurt them. again, rumor. that being said, i don't know of anyone that's owned a canfield frame that didn't like it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you like Canfield bikes, I have two M frames in a really nice shape for sale, a Riot and a Balance. :D
I'd love to but it will take some time before I have cash to spend. New job means I have to pay for all the shit I've postponed. Thankfully some ambulance chasers are doing some shit for me and that might help.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I don't follow the brand at all, but wasn't it them that put a bunch of money into a carbon version of one of their frames and then they all turned up out of spec and couldn't be sold - burning through their cash reserve.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't follow the brand at all, but wasn't it them that put a bunch of money into a carbon version of one of their frames and then they all turned up out of spec and couldn't be sold - burning through their cash reserve.
they did do a carbon frame.... i think it was a hardtail. i hadn't heard about the out of spec stuff, but if true that would certainly be a hit to them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well that definitely happened to Evil. no idea if Canfield suffered through it as wel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The "didn't jump on the carbon bandwagon" makes sense, but guys like Commencal haven't and they're doing ok.

Commencal makes some pretty lightweight and clean frames...canfields frames were always massive pigs...since they were aluminum, they should have been more flexible, like GG, but they always seemed to be playing catchup rather than leading

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
they did do a carbon frame.... i think it was a hardtail. i hadn't heard about the out of spec stuff, but if true that would certainly be a hit to them.
They were working on a FS crabon frame which, apparently, became their undoing. Their HT was a success AFAIK.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Didn't they also hop to direct sales model? Also how is their warranty? Used to be shit. Also did they jump on the long ass bike bandwagon? I remember their bikes being short.
yes they went direct sales. idk about warranty. and yes long. super long. and a world cup winning DH bike certainly doesn't hurt.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Chris Canfield came on MTBR and said that the carbon framed Riot wasn't the set back. But he is leaving the company, so the legal stuff was the hold up. This was 2 months ago.