Quantcast

What Happened to Chumba Wumba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, Marlopez, they are there. It is down near the angels stadium a block or two off of Katella. They don't have the front shop like they used to but Ted is usually around. Bob is also gone, apparently he retired. I would call first to make sure they have what you need...I believe you are looking for a floater and I just bought one from them a couple of weeks ago so you never know how much he keeps stocked. Same old phone #.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Jesus said:
I found him hiding behind my couch, sneaky bastard.

I hear that's how he finds most people.

:nope:
lol i'll have to go check. sorry for joking i know it's serious for people that say that, but i can't stop thinking of forrest gump. "have u found jesus yet gump?" "i didnt know i was suppose to be looking for him sir"

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
LukeD said:
lol i'll have to go check. sorry for joking i know it's serious for people that say that, but i can't stop thinking of forrest gump. "have u found jesus yet gump?" "i didnt know i was suppose to be looking for him sir"
I was joking too. When it comes to religion, there is plenty to joke about. People take it waaaayyyy to seriously.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
What do you need? I work 10min down the road from them, maybe we can work something out. Otherwise keep calling, everytime I stop in Ted is either there or in route.

Oh yeah, I also live in Bellflower so could possibly save you some drive time.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
Pegboy said:
What do you need? I work 10min down the road from them, maybe we can work something out. Otherwise keep calling, everytime I stop in Ted is either there or in route.

Oh yeah, I also live in Bellflower so could possibly save you some drive time.
wow thanks for your help. i crashed and the threaded insert in the derailleur hanger got pulled out so i dont know if i need a new one or it can be put back in properly. and i was wondering if they had any new floaters for the f4 where the brake mounts above the swingarm.

thanks a lot pegboy!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
The floater I just bought for my F4 holds the break above the swing arm. The rod still connects below, (picture a boomerang with the axel hole in the middle). This uses a IS mount but is designed for the 160mm configeration. In otherwords, I had bought a set of Juicy 5's 203mm that came with the 203mm adapter, I had to switch to the 160mm adapter to mount the brake. The rod required for this floater has to be at least 16.5 inches long, so if you have a floater now measure the arm to see if it will work. Also, when I bought the bike (used) it came with a new unmounted floater. Ted let me trade in that one towards the price of the new one, which made it very resonable.

I know we have never met, but I think we know/ride with some of the same people. I also know how frustrating it is waiting for parts ect.. From previous posts, I believe you are somewhere around LA so if you wanted to meet at my house I would be willing to bring your stuff by Chumba at lunch. PM me if you are interested.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
thanks for you offer pegboy. but the thing is i have a brand new chumba/mrp chainguide that i bought from them back in december and never used so i am hoping ted will let me exchange it for a new floater plus whatever is left over.

as for the floater, thanks for letting me know how long the rod is because now i know i need a completely new arm too because the arm on mine is only 13", it is the older one where the brake mounts below.

so i guess what i basically need to know are if they have a floater that will work w/ my shimano xt calipers (4 pot) w/ 8" rotors and if they are able to fix my derailleur hanger. Also the odds of me driving down there and ted being at the shop because he isnt responding to emails or picking up the phone. because orange is a long way with all the traffic im gonna hit. haha

thanks again for all your help.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
i finally got a hold of ted. i would need to leave my bike at chumba for him to fix it. and the floating brake arm is out of stock for another week. so im gonna try to bring it over there tomorrow. thanks again pegboy

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
so the Chumba has a helicoil as standard? good idea! did they fix it for you? I am thinking about getting a chumba but if I a bent der hanger ends my racing season I'll be a bit bummed.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
Eurotrash said:
so the Chumba has a helicoil as standard? good idea! did they fix it for you? I am thinking about getting a chumba but if I a bent der hanger ends my racing season I'll be a bit bummed.
yep they fixed it for me. you wont bend the hanger, but the helicoil may come out but not easily. i crashed pretty damn hard straight onto the derailleur. get a chumba u wont regret it

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Update: Chumba has moved again to a location in the same complex that they have listed on their site, different adress though. They also have a shop phone now so no more Ted voice messages. the number is: 714 986 9180

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
waiting on a Zulu DH for Rochester. the bike taking care of it sucks ballz...
went back for a cracked down tube. and painting it black....
we've tried to call and e-mail. but one time my friend got through he said that only the bike shop owner could call. this kid just needs his frame back. hell the locals here gave him a planet X hardtail just so he could ride with us.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Pegboy said:
Update: Chumba has moved again to a location in the same complex that they have listed on their site, different adress though. They also have a shop phone now so no more Ted voice messages. the number is: 714 986 9180

That the enterprise street on or they back by the old location?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
OK, final update.

I went by the new location today and it was very encouraging. For the past year or so I've had the feeling that Chumba might up and fold at any second. Ted seemed to be spread very thin and working on a lot of different projects leaving the bikes on the back burner.

It seems there has been a rebirth. The new location (listed above) has the chumba signs up again and a large impressive showroom floor with alot of posters and marketing stuff that I haven't seen before. Ted also has a new(?) partner named Alan Kang who was asking about local mechanics that they could posibly talk to. I am assuming that they are planning on doing a maketing push or at least an increase in production. Either way, I left with a good feeling that Chumba (new name; dropped the wumba) will be around for a while and proving much better customer service.

Here is the full name, adress and contact info:

Chumba Racing
3325 E Miraloma Ave. suite #123
Anaheim, CA 92806
www.chumbaracing.com, Alan's email: alan@chumbaracing.com
Ph 714 986 9180
fx 714 986 9105

They also said that the new website is in the works so stay tuned.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
thats awesome to hear. it was nice to finally get through and talk to someone there

FLdragon

Chimp
Oct 22, 2005
in the area
Glad to hear all is well at Chumba.:)
The recent absence of Chumba was due to the near fatal mountainbiking accident sometime in 2004
of someone very close to Ted while on an xc ride.
Since then that person has healed.
(I read this is some MTB mag a few months back.
Surprised noone else on this forum knew about this.)
After that happened he became very focused on religion, travel
and missionary work. Which doesnt surprise me at all knowing Teds character.
So good to hear all is well at Chumba.
When I owned a Chumba, dealing with Ted was an absolute pleasure. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.
BTW the Chumba F4 is the best handling DH bike I have ever ridden period. If you ever get the chance 2 try it do so because its an amazing experience to feel how good that bike works corners.
the only reason why I sold mine was because where I ride there are more ''10 foot drops to uphills'' than there are berms and jumps
and the F4 was not designed for mega droppage
after all it is a race bike.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
FLdragon said:
Glad to hear all is well at Chumba.:)
The recent absence of Chumba was due to the near fatal mountainbiking accident sometime in 2004
of someone very close to Ted while on an xc ride.
Since then that person has healed.
(I read this is some MTB mag a few months back.
Surprised noone else on this forum knew about this.)
After that happened he became very focused on religion, travel
and missionary work. Which doesnt surprise me at all knowing Teds character.
So good to hear all is well at Chumba.
When I owned a Chumba, dealing with Ted was an absolute pleasure. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.
BTW the Chumba F4 is the best handling DH bike I have ever ridden period. If you ever get the chance 2 try it do so because its an amazing experience to feel how good that bike works corners.
the only reason why I sold mine was because where I ride there are more ''10 foot drops to uphills'' than there are berms and jumps
and the F4 was not designed for mega droppage
after all it is a race bike.
Yeah, it was a really bad accident involving a 60ft or so fall off the edge of a trail. He's also had some other business stuff going on that's a little more profitable that the MTBs, but i think now that it's up and running the bikes are turning back into his thing. He's got some really cool ideas for new bikes so we'll see if they pop up in the near future

ChumbaJason

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
We are still in the same business complex just a much larger multi level building. Check out CHUMBARACING.COM for more details.:thumb::thumb:

We have your bushing set in stock also .
Check out the online store.

I went by the shop today in Anaheim, Ca to get a bushing replaced on my F4 and they are gone! No sign reading, "moved to..." nothing. I called their # and got a voice message for Ted, (the owner) instead of the old bike beat message. Their website says nothing, anyone have any info?

ChumbaJason

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
3325 E Miraloma Avenue ,Unit #123 Anaheim Ca 92806 U.S.A.

Here is the web site www.Chumbaracing.com Call tole free and ask me any questions.

We now have a full line of bikes.

Thanks Jason

Following in the footsteps of go-ride they have relocated, I don't have the new address, I'm waiting to get it, but they literally just finsihed moving, they are in the process of booting equipement up as we speak. I'll post the new address when i get it from Ted

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
mmmmm

way to start. post 1,2,3,4 and 5 all spam..cool!! Not to mention ALL the threads you posted to are OLD and dug up form the long ago dead!!!!!

and 6, douch bag

ChumbaJason

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
If you have nothing nice to say then go play somewhere else.
I believe that the questions I answered are not spam. I was just trying to help people. Maybe I should leave that up to you Big Dave.

BTW read the questions before commenting.
Calling people a Douch Bag is not to intelligent. :lighten:

mmmmm

way to start. post 1,2,3,4 and 5 all spam..cool!! Not to mention ALL the threads you posted to are OLD and dug up form the long ago dead!!!!!

and 6, douch bag

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I met Alan Kang a few weeks ago at the PV trails. Very cool guy and from the way things sound Chumba is really gearing up to become a contender in the race scene.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I believe that the questions I answered are not spam. I was just trying to help people. Maybe I should leave that up to you Big Dave.

Better late then never I guess...ehh?

:twitch:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

Nice way to promote your business. Do you think starting crap on a forum looks good for Chumba?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
mmmmm

and 6, douch bag
Calm down Beavis

Status
Not open for further replies.