Quantcast

What happened to team robot?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
As an atheist that was raised in a very religious family I'll just say that the "will of god" is a powerful mind fvck. That said, a friend of mine once stated - "95% of the population needs to be shot in the fvcking face and I'm ready to pull the trigger". I can't say he was wrong.
95%... that’s a grim world view.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's a pretty flippant statement. The main point is people in general do a lot of stupid shit, this human included.
As awkward as it sounds, our errors (or, to put it better, what we do to mend them and avoid making them again, or what we don't do about them) is what define us. We tend to think of our errors and failures as something we need to erase from our existence, when those mistakes are what shape the way we deal with frustration and adversity.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Coming from a third world country I see a lot of poverty, corruption and despair. But crises, like this pandemic, has shown that ordinary individuals in our community care about one another.

I have been blessed that my work has allowed me to help make a positive impact to local communities, the environment and make a little contribution to science as well. I won't get rich or famous but I have served and I can hold my head high. Instead of wallowing in cynicism we should strive to make ourselves, our families and the community better.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
As awkward as it sounds, our errors (or, to put it better, what we do to mend them and avoid making them again, or what we don't do about them) is what define us. We tend to think of our errors and failures as something we need to erase from our existence, when those mistakes are what shape the way we deal with frustration and adversity.
I think that's overly simplistic. Not all mistakes are the same. I'd argue that "mistakes" that result in wide spread harm need to be erased from existence before they happen.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I think that's overly simplistic. Not all mistakes are the same. I'd argue that "mistakes" that result in wide spread harm need to be erased from existence before they happen.
That's what I meant to write, sorry. We are defined by our mistakes, even before they happen. Hell, Even my whole work career has been driven by this. Our only certainty is we're bound to fail eventually, and we struggle either to prevent it, or to prevent it from re occuring. We have been educated to see fails as demeaning events, when they are fundamental pieces of our existence.

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Charlie is indeed a youth pastor now! I'm almost done with the podcast that he did with vital and I'm enjoying it. It seems like he struggled with depression but is now doing better. I wish him all the best and I hope he puts out more pulitzer prize-worthy pieces like his crankbrothers essay.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Charlie is indeed a youth pastor now! I'm almost done with the podcast that he did with vital and I'm enjoying it. It seems like he struggled with depression but is now doing better. I wish him all the best and I hope he puts out more pulitzer prize-worthy pieces like his crankbrothers essay.

Him and gwin can start team jeebus

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been listening to the podcast today. While fixing a hole in my drywall, cleaning up, prepping my skis, driving to go skiing, going for a skate ski, driving back from my ski, and cleaning up from my ski. And I still have 16 minutes left to go. (that's a looooooong podcast!).

That said, he's a pretty interesting dude. And pretty funny. His take on bike sizing is pretty on-point imo.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've been listening to the podcast today. While fixing a hole in my drywall, cleaning up, prepping my skis, driving to go skiing, going for a skate ski, driving back from my ski, and cleaning up from my ski. And I still have 16 minutes left to go. (that's a looooooong podcast!).

That said, he's a pretty interesting dude. And pretty funny. His take on bike sizing is pretty on-point imo.
Listened to this last week. He's switched on. I didn't realise how successful he was at racing TBH. Got some funny stories too, especially his sponsorship stuff-ups.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I would disagree with his bit on postmodernism but enjoyed the podcast overall.

I also liked the podcast with the Rooted MTB crew. I just wish they wouldn't say "like" in between every or every other word in their sentences. It becomes irritating after a while and English isn't even my native language. Speak clearly young men!

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

What is this skiing that you speak of? Want to trade some cold for a bit of sun? Summer is coming and I don't need to get more sunburnt than I already am. :D

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Don't feel too bad! Warm weather is overrated! I took that photo yesterday on my way back to work after lunch. I usually ride my little Honda scooter and I had to wear a jacket because my arms were getting roasted.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Don't feel too bad! Warm weather is overrated! I took that photo yesterday on my way back to work after lunch. I usually ride my little Honda scooter and I had to wear a jacket because my arms were getting roasted.
You want the snow? You can have the snow.

All of the snow, take it. Take it now.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
You want the snow? You can have the snow.

All of the snow, take it. Take it now.
Just a little snow please. Off topic, but a guy I know immigrated to Canada (greener pastures and all that) and he told my brother about the time the heater in his car failed and he had to run to a nearby fast food joint to avoid freezing to death. Yikes! And I thought Hong Kong in December was cold.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just a little snow please. Off topic, but a guy I know immigrated to Canada (greener pastures and all that) and he told my brother about the time the heater in his car failed and he had to run to a nearby fast food joint to avoid freezing to death. Yikes! And I thought Hong Kong in December was cold.
sounds about right.

But I've got to say, I enjoy have differentiated and well defined seasons. Breaks up the monotony. winter can be lots of fun. (though I think the ideal scenario is in places where there is ocean and mild winters, with mountains nearby that have big snow falls and interesting terrain. places like Whistler or Basque country in France/Spain)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
sounds about right.

But I've got to say, I enjoy have differentiated and well defined seasons. Breaks up the monotony. winter can be lots of fun. (though I think the ideal scenario is in places where there is ocean and mild winters, with mountains nearby that have big snow falls and interesting terrain. places like Whistler or Basque country in France/Spain)
Yeah agreed, its not so bad having different seasons. Even better if you have mountains that provide shelter or an escape from one or the other.

What isn't fun, is when Winter does its yo-yo of freezing-thawing-freezing-thawing-freezing, which happens a lot around here.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
sounds about right.

I hear you. I would enjoy seeing a bit of snow and winter landscapes for sure. I'm in my early forties now and the tropical heat is not as fun anymore compared to when I was younger. Being able to wear a t-shirt and shorts year round or scuba diving in just board shorts and a rash guard is nice though. Where I live you can mtb and dive/snorkel on the same day too.