Quantcast

what have you been putting in your earholes?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
DVNT said:
I saw that concert too, here in Atlanta.
It was one of the last times I went into the "pit"

David Yow's cowboy boot kicked me in the head after he did a stage dive!
I didn't wash my head for a year! (just kidding)

What a great live band. I don't think they make 'em like that anymore.
Oh man, awesome live band, one of my all time favorites.

Last time we played with them was years ago in Philly. He came out in boots and a chamisole top - to pants. Really funny to watch people panic as a hairy guy stage dives on them, naked from the waist down.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
bomberz1qr20 said:

Last time we played with them was years ago in Philly. He came out in boots and a chamisole top - to pants. Really funny to watch people panic as a hairy guy stage dives on them, naked from the waist down.

What is / was your band's name?

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
bomberz1qr20 said:
Their live act is what really made me like them. I had heard some of their stuff at freinds houses and ended up going to see them out of boredom. They were playing the Capitol Theater in Olympia but the show was on the stage, facing backstage. It was a super small venue and their whole set was so tight and powerful I became an instant fan.

DVNT said:
David Yow's cowboy boot kicked me in the head after he did a stage dive!
I didn't wash my head for a year! (just kidding)
I had similar experience when, at one show I was trying to get them to play "wheelchair epidemic" and David Yow put me in a headlock and said "Fvck that. how about boiler maker? Is that OK with you?"

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
brock said:
I had similar experience when, at one show I was trying to get them to play "wheelchair epidemic" and David Yow put me in a headlock and said "Fvck that. how about boiler maker? Is that OK with you?"
Classic story!

I can definately say it's one of the only bands I've seen live that I can still remember in detail what it felt like when they came out and played the first song.
They started off with Seasick at the Atlanta show! Still sends chills up my spine just thinking about the guitar starting it off.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ack! I almost forgot the greatest band in the world... POI DOG PONDERING. I love the old stuff best.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Westy said:
Galactic has been in my regular rotation for years, got to see them a few months ago.

Lately I have also been listening to a lot of Soulive, Liz Phair, Old P. Floyd, Modest Mouse, Donna the Buffalo and Rage Against the Machine. Other than that I have been in a musical funk (no pun intended). It is hard to find good new music when everyone I know listens to fusking chit.
Its not hard... you just gotta reach past all the crap that is on the radio.
Soulive and galactic almost go hand in hand. Soulive is a little more "throwback" style though. I have their original album GET DOWN... that album is all about #7. If you like that kind of music get this album right here--------> John Scofield - Up All Night (this is the funkiest sh!t that Ive heard done by modern dudes except MMW, those mofo's are downright disgusting).

and if that makes your foot tap then the next step would ba back in time because its the only way you can get nastier funk... Miles Davis - Panthalassa (not many people have heard of it because its a Bill Laswell remix, but it is the baddest sh!t on earth). Also Herbie's Headhunters is pertty badass too, but everyone knows that one :D

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
since last week, marilyn manson. he used to distrub me but now i guess the image thign doesnt bother me anymore. and of course, 311. one of the best bands IMO.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Oh, and I'm listening to the Von Bondies, Southern Culture on the Skids, Reverend Horton Heat, some Drive-By Truckers, and Refused (I love The Shape of Punk to Come sooooo much)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
golgiaparatus said:
Its not hard... you just gotta reach past all the crap that is on the radio.
Soulive and galactic almost go hand in hand. Soulive is a little more "throwback" style though. I have their original album GET DOWN... that album is all about #7. If you like that kind of music get this album right here--------> John Scofield - Up All Night (this is the funkiest sh!t that Ive heard done by modern dudes except MMW, those mofo's are downright disgusting).

and if that makes your foot tap then the next step would ba back in time because its the only way you can get nastier funk... Miles Davis - Panthalassa (not many people have heard of it because its a Bill Laswell remix, but it is the baddest sh!t on earth). Also Herbie's Headhunters is pertty badass too, but everyone knows that one :D
I got to see Soulive a little while ago and all I have to say is "whoa", probably the best live show I have ever seen. I will have to check out Scofield and Panthalassa. I have some other Miles stuff but he does not always do it for me.

Actually one of the best ways I have to find new music is look at stuff I like at Amazon.com and then look at the "people who have bought XX also bought XYZ". Being into the music scene you probably don't have to stoop to such levels, but it recently introduced me to Stanton Moores "All Cooked Out" which I am really liking right now.

hev

Chimp
May 18, 2004
somewhere near the apex
if you like stanton galactic etc. definately check out the duo - Marc Ruso and Joe Benevente they play NYC area alot and often guest with soul live, skerik and friends, critters buggin (Duo Buggin), Medeski etc. Basically two well respected jazz players who are still young and making a name for themselves.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
hev said:
hell yeah. you going to the show on saturday?

boulder theater

currently listening to Nas, Attica Blues, Herbaliser, and Alice in Chains :thumb:
I'll probably be in Angel Fire for FINAL DESCENT III on Saturday, but I'm thinking of driving to Ft.Collins for the Big Show on Sunday night... what a weekend, eh? Ride/race DH Fri/Sat/Sun then see Supersuckers Sunday night are you KIDDING me?

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Last week I got to see Alice Cooper.
He's still the sh!t. So awesome. The stage show was not as elaborate as what I've seen on film from years ago, but it was still pretty cool. He of course had swords, a giant snake, and the "Cold Ethyl" doll which got flung around the stage.
This week it's still all I want to hear.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
hev said:
if you like stanton galactic etc. definately check out the duo - Marc Ruso and Joe Benevente they play NYC area alot and often guest with soul live, skerik and friends, critters buggin (Duo Buggin), Medeski etc. Basically two well respected jazz players who are still young and making a name for themselves.
The Duo are sick! Saw them twice as the "Trio" w/ Mike Gordon of the now departed Phish.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Westy said:
I got to see Soulive a little while ago and all I have to say is "whoa", probably the best live show I have ever seen. I will have to check out Scofield and Panthalassa. I have some other Miles stuff but he does not always do it for me.

Actually one of the best ways I have to find new music is look at stuff I like at Amazon.com and then look at the "people who have bought XX also bought XYZ". Being into the music scene you probably don't have to stoop to such levels, but it recently introduced me to Stanton Moores "All Cooked Out" which I am really liking right now.
Yeah, Soulive is a quality band. I saw them in Austin a couple of years ago, they were good, not best show of all time good, but good :) Some friends of mine are real good buds with them and have played with them several times they say they are super nice dudes.

Stanton moore man, that guy IS the pocket, one of the most powerful if not THE most powerful funk drummers playing right now IMHO. Check out that Scofield CD, Up All Night. Everyone that I've played that for that likes things like Galactic thinks its the baddest stuff they have heard :thumb:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
loco-gringo said:
Houston Marchman currently in the player. Been diggin on old Cult and likely getting Soul Asylum back out soon.
Houston Marchman. . . Awesome! Do you dig Slaid Cleaves at all?

We saw Reckless Kelly last weekend. Pretty good.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
DVNT said:
Classic story!

I can definately say it's one of the only bands I've seen live that I can still remember in detail what it felt like when they came out and played the first song.
That's something to think about. I think the only band that did that for me was Fishbone, about 15 yrs ago. I miss their stuff.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
ROCKLAND said:
Last week I got to see Alice Cooper.
He's still the sh!t. So awesome. The stage show was not as elaborate as what I've seen on film from years ago, but it was still pretty cool. He of course had swords, a giant snake, and the "Cold Ethyl" doll which got flung around the stage.
This week it's still all I want to hear.
I saw Alice Cooper in 1987, in the Houston Coliseum (now either a parking lot or a fufu ballet theatre, can't remember which). Great show, but he had way too much sound for the venue. That was a special kind of pain.

J

JRB

Fathead said:
Houston Marchman. . . Awesome! Do you dig Slaid Cleaves at all?

We saw Reckless Kelly last weekend. Pretty good.

Yes, but haven't heard much since I moved from SA and don't get radio new braunfels. I dig Houston Marchman and Bruce Robison most of all the cats around. There are the most popular guys, and then there are these guys.

Jack Ingram too.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
McGRP01 said:
The Duo are sick! Saw them twice as the "Trio" w/ Mike Gordon of the now departed Phish.
Yep that was cool, I have a recording of one of those shows. Mike changed the whole dynamic of the duo. Personally, and I love Mike Gordon, god knows, I hav e a Phish tatoo on my leg, but I like the Duo better as the Duo. If they were to have a bassist it would have to be someone like Reed Mathis or Chris Wood, or some legendary old school dude like Kai Eckhart... some one more rooted in jazz and less rooted in rock.

The Duo though... :thumb: :thumb:

Still, you no answer my question... do you like JFJO (Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey)?

J

JRB

I don't ever hear them and don't think they are together, but really liked James Hyland band.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
been listening to a lot of stuff from the clash, new york dolls, the cramps, n stevie wonder lately.......

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
golgiaparatus said:
Still, you no answer my question... do you like JFJO (Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey)?
I didn't? Sorry. I've heard OF them, but have never actually heard anything by them. I have heard good things about them though. Especially in the past few months for some reason...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
McGRP01 said:
I didn't? Sorry. I've heard OF them, but have never actually heard anything by them. I have heard good things about them though. Especially in the past few months for some reason...
Reason I ask is that they are real good friends of mine and they just put out a new badass studio album called Walking With Giants (through Hyena Records), all the artwork and layout is my work :)

Yeah in the last year they have been blowin' up. They are regulars at Yoshi's now (no many people are) and all the jazz clubs are trying to get them in their clubs, AND they have a record deal with Hyena.

Haas, the keyboardist has a solo acoustic piano album coming out. It sounds so great, all the artwork will be by yours truly as well.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
golgiaparatus said:
Lotta good stuff came out of that band. I have some friends turned clients that play with those guys on a regular basis.

whats the story behind that avatar. it creeps me out.
\

-la

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
loco-gringo said:
Yes, but haven't heard much since I moved from SA and don't get radio new braunfels. I dig Houston Marchman and Bruce Robison most of all the cats around. There are the most popular guys, and then there are these guys.

Jack Ingram too.
Jack Ingram was at the show where we saw Reckless Kelly, but his 1st 2 songs just about put me to sleep. Listened to a couple of his tracks on the way home and really liked them. . . I think I just wasn't in the mood for his stage show Saturday.

You're in Houston 10/9 right? The Conroe Catfish Festival is supposed to have Stoney LaRue and Jason Boland on Friday, Roger Creager on Saturday. I'd try to go at least one night, but my sister is in town for a rare night out so we'll be taking her wherever she wants to go.

J

JRB

Fathead said:
Jack Ingram was at the show where we saw Reckless Kelly, but his 1st 2 songs just about put me to sleep. Listened to a couple of his tracks on the way home and really liked them. . . I think I just wasn't in the mood for his stage show Saturday.

You're in Houston 10/9 right? The Conroe Catfish Festival is supposed to have Stoney LaRue and Jason Boland on Friday, Roger Creager on Saturday. I'd try to go at least one night, but my sister is in town for a rare night out so we'll be taking her wherever she wants to go.

Actually it will be later in the month. It is my anniversary that weekend so I am sure I'll be chilling with Julie at night, but we should hook up for a ride.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
golgiaparatus said:
Reason I ask is that they are real good friends of mine and they just put out a new badass studio album called Walking With Giants (through Hyena Records), all the artwork and layout is my work :)

Yeah in the last year they have been blowin' up. They are regulars at Yoshi's now (no many people are) and all the jazz clubs are trying to get them in their clubs, AND they have a record deal with Hyena.

Haas, the keyboardist has a solo acoustic piano album coming out. It sounds so great, all the artwork will be by yours truly as well.
Very cool! :thumb: Got any of their stuff on disk? Wanna do a B&P for me? :D

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
loco-gringo said:
Actually it will be later in the month. It is my anniversary that weekend so I am sure I'll be chilling with Julie at night, but we should hook up for a ride.
Oh yah, the weekend of Lake Lake. . . I was thinking the weekend of Lake Bryan.

I'll watch for your posts on Houston Mojo, or you can PM me here or there.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
McGRP01 said:
Very cool! :thumb: Got any of their stuff on disk? Wanna do a B&P for me? :D
I'll do ya one better...
GO HERE

He is an archive of several years of JFJO. The 03-04 stuff will be the best. Read the descriptions, I'm sure you can find special guests that you know.

Still, if you like this stuff get the album walking with giants, its really good, and it comes with a 40 min DVD performance filmed at yoshi's.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
KonaJosh said:
BomberZ1QR20 is/was in Neurosis, I believe. He must too modest to mention it.
No, not too modest. I thought it was common RM knowledge.

I had to leave my desk for awhile. Ah the joys of the US passport office...I just spent an eternity there.

hev

Chimp
May 18, 2004
somewhere near the apex
hey for those who said they like the Duo you should totally consider going to the telluride jazz fest. good music and sick riding. I got to meet all the artists and did a ton of riding. Heres a report I wrote up for a different forum I post in:

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14845

golgi - funny your remarks about gordon. apprantly he really likes playing with marco and joe and they have some future projects in the planning stages.