Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
yeah, I dunno....the whole vagaries of distributorships is annoying. I tend to be sure that the stuff I spend money on has a good reputation in my region/continent for prompt service if need be, although I focus on reliability and durability first and foremost and that's served me well in that regard over the past 5+ years.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yeah, I dunno....the whole vagaries of distributorships is annoying. I tend to be sure that the stuff I spend money on has a good reputation in my region/continent for prompt service if need be, although I focus on reliability and durability first and foremost and that's served me well in that regard over the past 5+ years.
One tip too, in Canada at least, is to buy straight from the OEM when possible.

I know first hand that some companies (maybe it's the distributor) will not let you deal with them directly, if you purchased their stuff through a shop. That goes for brands that do sell direct to consumer as well.

Dealing with OneUp directly is painless vs having to go through the shop/dealer process.

Last winter I had to warranty my Zeb. There is no possible way to deal with the distributor or Sram directly. It sucks, because bike shops around here suck and are a pain to deal with, with stuff like that. I ended up getting a shop in Ottawa (I'm in Toronto) to do it for me. They did all the work but I was allowed to ship the fork directly to Sram (lol?). But on the way back, the fork HAD to be sent to Ottawa and then back to me (lol). If I had used a shop in Toronto I'd probably still be waiting for them to call back.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
One tip too, in Canada at least, is to buy straight from the OEM when possible.

I know first hand that some companies (maybe it's the distributor) will not let you deal with them directly, if you purchased their stuff through a shop. That goes for brands that do sell direct to consumer as well.

Dealing with OneUp directly is painless vs having to go through the shop/dealer process.

Last winter I had to warranty my Zeb. There is no possible way to deal with the distributor or Sram directly. It sucks, because bike shops around here suck and are a pain to deal with, with stuff like that. I ended up getting a shop in Ottawa (I'm in Toronto) to do it for me. They did all the work but I was allowed to ship the fork directly to Sram (lol?). But on the way back, the fork HAD to be sent to Ottawa and then back to me (lol). If I had used a shop in Toronto I'd probably still be waiting for them to call back.
yup can concur with that, although one up is directly across the street from my office and if I order online I have to have to add a note to it for my neighbour who works there to pick it up for me! And Fluid Function is about 500m from my house, so getting rock shox service isn't an issue either! hahaha

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think that'sa X2 "known issue" innit?
No if he got 3 years he's got a pre 21 which is decent
The new added feature is cavitation, it's an upgrade like kashima but works with black stanchions as well...

They didn't blow just shifted and let a tiny amount of air into oil .repeat it 3-4k times over 3-4 months and it's making some hell noise and not working right.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
No if he got 3 years he's got a pre 21 which is decent
The new added feature is cavitation, it's an upgrade like kashima but works with black stanchions as well...

They didn't blow just shifted and let a tiny amount of air into oil .repeat it 3-4k times over 3-4 months and it's making some hell noise and not working right.

True, 2020 and older does not have the huge issues.
But if it's 2021-current send it in and they'll just swap it for a 2024 FOC.
But hurry, I can't see Fox doing this forever. Talk about bleeding cash.....

"I am reaching out regarding service request number XXXXX. Due to some durability concerns we have seen in the 2021-2023 FLOAT X2 line up we will be replacing your shock with a brand new 2024 FACTORY SERIES FLOAT X2 at no charge. We have made some running changes to the new 2024 FLOAT X2 to promote longevity and increase performance. We have redesigned the damper architecture to provide a freer flowing damper system that resulted in reduced fluid pressures, a better tune, and more meaningful adjustments at your controls. For trunnion mounted shocks we have also beefed up the trunnion mount substantially and are now using a 7000 series aluminum rather than a 6000 series.

As part of the swap procedure, we will match the travel of the shock sent in on the new shock unless otherwise requested, match the number of volume spacers from the old shock in the new shock and swap over any mounting hardware that was left on the old shock."

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
True, 2020 and older does have the huge issues.

"I am reaching out regarding service request number XXXXX. Due to some durability concerns we have seen in the 2021-2023 FLOAT X2 line up we will be replacing your shock with a brand new 2024 FACTORY SERIES FLOAT X2 at no charge. We have made some running changes to the new 2024 FLOAT X2 to promote longevity and increase performance. We have redesigned the damper architecture to provide a freer flowing damper system that resulted in reduced fluid pressures, a better tune, and more meaningful adjustments at your controls. For trunnion mounted shocks we have also beefed up the trunnion mount substantially and are now using a 7000 series aluminum rather than a 6000 series.

As part of the swap procedure, we will match the travel of the shock sent in on the new shock unless otherwise requested, match the number of volume spacers from the old shock in the new shock and swap over any mounting hardware that was left on the old shock."
Yeah I had a 2024 on bench 2 weeks ago...they swapped him for his 2021. The 2024 failed already.. I was worried at first when he scheduled service. Then after getting into it , well it was just typical Fox (post pandemic) shit...loose parts...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yup can concur with that, although one up is directly across the street from my office and if I order online I have to have to add a note to it for my neighbour who works there to pick it up for me! And Fluid Function is about 500m from my house, so getting rock shox service isn't an issue either! hahaha
Jelly

Does Fluid Function have any extra Rockshox fork air caps laying around? :p

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
True, 2020 and older does not have the huge issues.

Has this been a service inquiry or a warranty one due to a failure?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Saw my buddy’s Stumpy carbon chainstay snap waaaaayyyy to easily last weekend. Slow speed crash and the bike landed on a small but pointy root. Thought it was a dead stick on the ground that snapped when the bike landed, but nope, it was his chainstay.
Make that 2. Another buddy noticed his was cracked in the same spot before he went out for a ride today. Said he rode a few days ago and didn’t notice until this morning when he pulled it off of his rack.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Make that 2. Another buddy noticed his was cracked in the same spot before he went out for a ride today. Said he rode a few days ago and didn’t notice until this morning when he pulled it off of his rack.
Which Stumpy? The Evo? Where on the CS? I got a couple mates riding those thingies at the moment

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
1711754426234.jpeg

Finally found the cause of my drivetrain skipping the past few days. No idea how I did it, but glad it didn't snap on me.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Doubly so when at a stop light and everyone is watching you imprint the stem bolt pattern onto your gnards.
Kid i went to school with snapped the chain on his BMX riding from traffic lights. Yeeted himself into the ground so hard he missed a week of school. Stuff that

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF it was always "frahyme" in the Warner days anyway.

#donthatetheboyforhisaccent #Yoursisjustasstupidtosomeone

It's almost a silver lining the UCI's shit show and it's shite commentary is now behind a paywall I'm not even prepared to look into how I'd subscribe to.

RIP WC DH