Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Somehow managed to suck a rock up into the drivetrain within about 100 yards of the 1st descent and it sheared the derailleur at the knuckle. Of course it flew into the wheel and ate an $8 spoke. What was crazy is that it didn't damage the breakaway syntace hanger.

IMG_6232_1.jpg

Tried to single speed it with no sustainable success, so made a friend pull me up the climb with a tire tube strap.

20220628_222024.jpg

Good times.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Somehow managed to suck a rock up into the drivetrain within about 100 yards of the 1st descent and it sheared the derailleur at the knuckle. Of course it flew into the wheel and ate an $8 spoke. What was crazy is that it didn't damage the breakaway syntace hanger.

View attachment 178389

Tried to single speed it with no sustainable success, so made a friend pull me up the climb with a tire tube strap.

View attachment 178390

Good times.
wtf spokes are you using that are 8 bucks a pop?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
wtf spokes are you using that are 8 bucks a pop?
I9 aluminum spokes. :fancy:

Because its a strong sized wheel, its been a little hard to source. Thought I found a spare, but its an old one so the (fucking) thread pitch is different. They're a god damned pain in the ass to replace, but I do believe it makes for a better overall wheel. And overall they've actually been tougher than any j-bend spoke I've used in the past.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

View attachment 178389

View attachment 178390

Good times.
wilsons or pisgah proper?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Was

View attachment 178389

View attachment 178390

Good times.
now that’s a true friend.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was

now that’s a true friend.
Recently witnessed a dude tow his 6 year old son to the top of a 1500 ft climb. Not only is that badass but even the easiest way down was bloody impressive for a 6 year old from both a technical and endurance perspective.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Can confirm.

Snapped one in my wheelset for the first time a couple of weeks ago, having to redo tubeless tape just to replace a spoke is a pain in the balls.
To be fair, that can be the case on normal j-bend spokes. In fact, the last 2 spokes I've broken have had the spoke shear midway through the nipple, so relacing meant stripping the tape and replacing the nipple with the spoke.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
To be fair, that can be the case on normal j-bend spokes. In fact, the last 2 spokes I've broken have had the spoke shear midway through the nipple, so relacing meant stripping the tape and replacing the nipple with the spoke.
Just poke a hole in the tape where you need it and repair with a small square of duck tape.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
What about gorilla tape?
Agree about Westy's suggestion on poking a hole in the tape, as that's worked for me as well. But when I used gorilla tape, the sealant seemed to dissolve the tape's adhesive over time. I've patched it with regular rim tape and some other space tape that I have which has worked.

Ultimately, I need to find some old school mag wheels and ditch this spoke non-sense.
magger.JPG

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Agree about Westy's suggestion on poking a hole in the tape, as that's worked for me as well. But when I used gorilla tape, the sealant seemed to dissolve the tape's adhesive over time. I've patched it with regular rim tape and some other space tape that I have which has worked.

Ultimately, I need to find some old school mag wheels and ditch this spoke non-sense.
View attachment 178418
Sorry grampa, those were thermoplastic, not mag :busted:

These are the ones you were looking for:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

View attachment 178418

as if you had the coin

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

View attachment 178418

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can confirm.

Snapped one in my wheelset for the first time a couple of weeks ago, having to redo tubeless tape just to replace a spoke is a pain in the balls.
That reminds me, I've always wanted to try Veloplugs so I might order some to see if they actually work.

Tenacious Tape might work for a hole in the rim tape, it doesn't leave goo behind like GT.

Last edited:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
My LBS gives me these rubbery tubeless strips that come on the bikes from Specialized. I don't bother taping rims anymore. Side benefit of being harder to burp a tire once the strip bonds to your tire bead.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Oh I wasn't accusing you of it.
I'm sure Even if you did like them you'd see them as a let down. I meant in general most squids are like "ah ho i9 sick brah love the sound"
"swarm of bees" "the 590 poe is noticeable over the 144" - no just no

They aren't sealed well at all, mine are always full of moisture when I take them apart, to replace bearings, and I've broken a drive ring and the shell.
The selling point of I9 rear wheels to me are how stiff the alloy spoke versions are under pedaling loads. I don't give a shit about the POE.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ya, I have one. Ain't nobody got time for 16 minutes of video, tho

I'll ride until it separates

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Screenshot_20220703-104342_Gallery.jpg

Main pivot bearings after riding through a record breaking wet summer here in QLD, plus a week of pressure washing mud off the bike in Europe. Replaced with some nice NSK units and overfilled them with grease for extra water resistance.

Yesterday's ride was a shitshow. First lap - one guy separated shoulder. Second lap - another guy riding brand new bike taco'ed an e.13 LG1 rim in a flat turn so bad it wouldn't spin in the frame (the third one of those rims I've seen failed JRA). Third lap - a guy crashes and gouges a stanchion. Ride back to the top and find this guy attempting to finish his run back to the car with this as his brake lever after a crash.

20220703_095301.jpg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
taco'ed an e.13 LG1 rim in a flat turn so bad it wouldn't spin in the frame (the third one of those rims I've seen failed JRA).
If you mean the carbon ones. Those are the only carbon rims I've ever seen taco with absolutely no visible damage to the surface. I didn't even know carbon could be bent out of shape like that without some sort off visible damage ie. splintered, cracked, chipped, dented etc.
The Alloy ones aren't much better. And it really doesn't help when the full wheelsets (mainly found OEM on enduro/trail bikes) are a 28 spoke count with alloy nipples and stupidly thin (E13 *sigh*) spokes.
I hate E13 parts with a passion. and far from shy about the fact.