Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So after a season of use, I've begun ripping off side-knobs off my Specialized Butcher Grids (the new ones, with the casing similar to Maxxis' new EXO+ casing). Lost two knobs in 3 rides. Does this mean it's time to replace them? On the one hand, two knobs doesn't seem like the end of the world, but on the other, I don't feel like being stranded at night, in the cold (dark and creepy) forest having to walk back to my car alone...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Zoke should be fine with a couple of lollypop sticks and some gorilla tape around the arch.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm no crack expert, but this looks like a crack, eh? Found this after giving the bike a wash, after a disgusting weekend at Bromont.

Thoughts? Im not seeing some artifact of the weld that I never noticed before right? Kind of odd that it isnt creaking when im seated in the bike (perhaps it is...but i assumed it was the a dry derailleur pulley that ive been ignoring).

With the flash on it doesn't look as bad, but can definitely see where dirt has penetrated something.

On top of this, at the end of the day yesterday, oil was weeping out of the compression dials. No bueno.

And the Fox DPX2 is being a turd.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm no crack expert, but this looks like a crack, eh? Found this after giving the bike a wash, after a disgusting weekend at Bromont.

Thoughts? Im not seeing some artifact of the weld that I never noticed before right? Kind of odd that it isnt creaking when im seated in the bike (perhaps it is...but i assumed it was the a dry derailleur pulley that ive been ignoring).

With the flash on it doesn't look as bad, but can definitely see where dirt has penetrated something.

On top of this, at the end of the day yesterday, oil was weeping out of the compression dials. No bueno.

That frame looks properly Bromont-ed. :( Is there another crack in the weld bead, too (5-6 o'clock)? That's why I hang on to my unrideabru DH bike, despite only doing a few days per year.

Frame is toast.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That frame looks properly Bromont-ed. :( Is there another crack in the weld bead, too (5-6 o'clock)? That's why I hang on to my unrideabru DH bike, despite only doing a few days per year.
I really wish I could justify needing a DH bike. I'd have one if Bromont wasn't 6 hours away. :(

I lucked out and sold my DHR a few weeks into the pandemic AND and a few weeks before the only true DH spot in the area announced they were no longer offering lift services. They scrapped majority of the trails and turned them into hiking paths. Pretty sour of them...

Frame is toast.
Burnt toast...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

that your banshee? how old is it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Some JB Weld can cover that up.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
that your banshee? how old is it?
Yeah it is, I got it in the spring from a friend. He had for last summer but only used it a few times.

Banshee actually just released a revised version, with a thicker seat tube. Reading on the mtbr forum, it appears this is why. :brow:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah it is, I got it in the spring from a friend. He had for last summer but only used it a few times.

Banshee actually just released a revised version, with a thicker seat tube. Reading on the mtbr forum, it appears this is why. :brow:
IME banshee has been good to work with. any idea if the new front triangle works with the old back end?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

Dammit. Will have to take mine apart and move it down the road. Are you going to crash replacement and keep with the Spirfire?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Just because someone else's bike cracked doesn't mean yours will. Although I do remember looking at a cracked Banshee for you.
I haven't ridden it since the Mullet came on the scene. I've been trying to figure out what I should do since it's gathering dust. All I needed was an excuse. Imma whore what can I say.

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019
Per bullcrew’s request :D

7D490631-4D0F-4A8C-BF1D-1FD210C0E984.jpeg
41466602-E7B0-4966-989A-6ECDE374A20D.jpeg
28DD8B4D-26FF-4FDD-AD7A-75139424796E.jpeg

Rented the new turbo rs rr and sent a bit to hard in Moab. Snapped tie rods on landing of a solid dune jump. No recovery service would help us since it was a rental. Used a ratchet strap to hold the tie rods in the steering rack and limped it 25 miles back to Moab. Rental company was, ummm, “impressed”.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Per bullcrew’s request :D

View attachment 183193View attachment 183190View attachment 183192
Rented the new turbo rs rr and sent a bit to hard in Moab. Snapped tie rods on landing of a solid dune jump. No recovery service would help us since it was a rental. Used a ratchet strap to hold the tie rods in the steering rack and limped it 25 miles back to Moab. Rental company was, ummm, “impressed”.
Should have called Matts Offroad Recovery. :D

Though they are on the other side of the state I believe.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's got to be a leak up through the damper, if it was the bladder the oil would run down. How old is the fork, still under warranty by any chance?
Looks like I purchased it in July of last year, so if I read their policy correctly, it is still under warranty.

I don’t think I've ever had to deal with Sram warranty - their info page makes it sound pretty clear that I need to go through a shop or back to the original shop. Ughhh.

I purchased this from a bike shop in Minnesota, online of course. Would rather not deal with a shop around here in person... :twitch:
Just fixed a boxxer ultimate with a leaky comp yesterday...it's the seal point between high speed and where it drops onto upper cart. It's got a shaft and 2 pins holding it in...remove and watch out for 2 balls and springs in detents...only 2 holes so they go back in exactly the same...I did a flat seal in there...
So it's not the damper leaking? I've read that it is..

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Looks like I purchased it in July of last year, so if I read their policy correctly, it is still under warranty.

I don’t think I've ever had to deal with Sram warranty - their info page makes it sound pretty clear that I need to go through a shop or back to the original shop. Ughhh.

I purchased this from a bike shop in Minnesota, online of course. Would rather not deal with a shop around here in person... :twitch:

Contact the shop, yes you'll have to ship it back, but you'll likely get a brand new damper installed.

*You'll likely want to mark the customs declaration "warranty return bike fork $0"

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

Any shop that is a sram dealer can warranty that for you. Should be no need to ship to MN first.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Little bit less than a month in and the swingarm of my carbon Fuel EX Gen 6 has a hole in it!
C9768A20-00C4-41B8-B1BF-E9C6AD5B9C3E.jpeg
C9768A20-00C4-41B8-B1BF-E9C6AD5B9C3E.jpeg

“normal” use case for a 10 pound carbon frame- smashing ruts, only two days of lift accessed ruts, mostly just JRA in the ‘hood.
Mofos need to make ridable bikes.