Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How are you riding rox with a Race Face arc rim? I went through a few of them, they are like butter, at least when challenged with Quebec rox and that one spikey rox in Vermont.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I broke the frame part of my bike recently by putting a hole in the downtube. I'm not even sure when it happened or what I did, just noticed it at some point and thought "damn." No major crashes or impacts though.

And maybe I'm dating myself here, but when I asked Giant about a crash replacement thinking they'd probably offer me 40% or so given that's pretty standard margins, I was surprised to be offered only 20%.

Which I took to mean: "Don't buy another Giant, and recommend other people also don't buy another Giant because they will not take care of you."

So with that in mind, don't buy a Giant. They will not take care of you.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I broke the frame part of my bike recently by putting a hole in the downtube. I'm not even sure when it happened or what I did, just noticed it at some point and thought "damn." No major crashes or impacts though.

And maybe I'm dating myself here, but when I asked Giant about a crash replacement thinking they'd probably offer me 40% or so given that's pretty standard margins, I was surprised to be offered only 20%.

Which I took to mean: "Don't buy another Giant, and recommend other people also don't buy another Giant because they will not take care of you."

So with that in mind, don't buy a Giant. They will not take care of you.
A buddy got that same deal, initially, on a crash replacement cost for a Banshee frame.

He was given 20%, but told them to stack the current discount out there ontop of it. Ended up with that 40% value.

Even a 20% discount on a new frame, of any brand, is expensive these days.

Kind of super weird with them and the distributor network here.... buddy was in contact with Banshee the entire time, but ultimately the purchase had to go through a local shop. The local shop is who set the price... :brow:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Made many cracks in my I9 stem—pretty much every bolt hole has one. First stem I’ve broken, took 4 years and 3-4K miles but still getting something else now.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
aren’t giant at 20% off not still cheaper than other frames?
Well, it depends on what frames you compare them to.

For instance, a new reign frameset is 15% more expensive than a specialized enduro frameset.

But to be honest, its not even that. Thing is, companies sell bikes at set margins. dropping it 40% doesn't eat into their profit margin because that's the typical MSRP markup for dealers anyway, and with crash replacements they typically just cut the dealers out of the picture and the dealers get their cut on the parts/labor of swapping everything over to the new frame. Which is why ~40% has been pretty standard for crash replacements for decades, and you'll find a similar 40% (usually) on bikes ranging from Vitus to Yeti.

I've had 5 giants over the years that were purchased at full price and I've been a long term customer with significant emphasis on "they'll take care of their customers if something goes wrong." With that not being the case, there's a sour taste of feeling mislead by their previous advertising and claims. I've liked the bikes I've owned but its not a company I want to do business with ever again and I'd rather take my money to another company that will take care of me down the line when there are plenty of options to choose from companies that do actually give a shit about long term customer loyalty and retention.

What benefit do they bring to the table over an online brand if they charge a premium price but don't have any follow through on helping the customer down the line when the bike eventually runs into issues as all bikes do?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

For instance, a new reign frameset is 15% more expensive than a specialized enduro frameset.

But to be honest, its not even that. Thing is, companies sell bikes at set margins. dropping it 40% doesn't eat into their profit margin because that's the typical MSRP markup for dealers anyway, and with crash replacements they typically just cut the dealers out of the picture and the dealers get their cut on the parts/labor of swapping everything over to the new frame. Which is why ~40% has been pretty standard for crash replacements for decades, and you'll find a similar 40% (usually) on bikes ranging from Vitus to Yeti.

I've had 5 giants over the years that were purchased at full price and I've been a long term customer with significant emphasis on "they'll take care of their customers if something goes wrong." With that not being the case, there's a sour taste of feeling mislead by their previous advertising and claims. I've liked the bikes I've owned but its not a company I want to do business with ever again and I'd rather take my money to another company that will take care of me down the line when there are plenty of options to choose from that do actually give a shit about long term customer loyalty and retention.

What benefit do they bring to the table over an online brand if they charge a premium price but don't have any follow through on helping the customer down the line when the bike eventually runs into issues as all bikes do?
that sucks. I've had great customer support from Transition over years. fwiw.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009

I've had 5 giants over the years that were purchased at full price and I've been a long term customer with significant emphasis on "they'll take care of their customers if something goes wrong." With that not being the case, there's a sour taste of feeling mislead by their previous advertising and claims. I've liked the bikes I've owned but its not a company I want to do business with ever again and I'd rather take my money to another company that will take care of me down the line when there are plenty of options to choose from that do actually give a shit about long term customer loyalty and retention.

Sucks that they're not really taking care of you. There are so many other brands nowadays that actually care about their retailers and the people that ride their bikes.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Not broken but nicely bent
20230605_101251.jpg

Goldix crankset from aliexpress. I thought that a 155mm crankset would be nice for my boy. He proved me wrong.
That's life :boss:

The rest of the bike held up pretty well. I was a bit worried with an Ikon rear tire on cheese-like rims but my ghetto procore did its wonder.
A low profile rear tyre was actually a good measure since my son barely used his front brake before. Now he learned how to use it and quite well since he even manage a steep black trail. I am impressed over his progression during the weekend!:wub:

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Rear hub engagement stripped out today. DY Swiss 350 about 3 years old. Took the driver off and pawls and ratchet ring are fine. Seems like the ratchet ring is stripped where it threads into the hub body. Anyone have this happen? Does the hub body or ratchet ring threads strip? Or is it something else completely?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rear hub engagement stripped out today. DY Swiss 350 about 3 years old. Took the driver off and pawls and ratchet ring are fine. Seems like the ratchet ring is stripped where it threads into the hub body. Anyone have this happen? Does the hub body or ratchet ring threads strip? Or is it something else completely?
I've stripped the drive on a DT swiss before. But most DTs aren't pawls, they are ring-drive. On the teeth I could see where I stripped/broke the edges.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I've stripped the drive on a DT swiss before. But most DTs aren't pawls, they are ring-drive. On the teeth I could see where I stripped/broke the edges.
This is pawls with a ring of teeth pressed into the hub. That’s where it stripped or came apart. Hub is junk is what I was told.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Damn... Commencal seem to have quite a bit of a frames cracking problem recently. Hoping my '20 Meta AM holds together for a few more years.

@HeadMaster is is the 5th Furious frame of the same version ? Unfortunately, seeing all those failures turned me off quite a bit and my next frame will be from another brand. Just get the warranty replacement frame and sell it ASAP!

edit : The frame has a weird finish/texture on the tubing and weld near the crack, I wonder if they fucked up the heat treatment.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Damn... Commencal seem to have quite a bit of a frames cracking problem recently. Hoping my '20 Meta AM holds together for a few more years.

@HeadMaster is is the 5th Furious frame of the same version ? Unfortunately, seeing all those failures turned me off quite a bit and my next frame will be from another brand. Just get the warranty replacement frame and sell it ASAP!

edit : The frame has a weird finish/texture on the tubing and weld near the crack, I wonder if they fucked up the heat treatment.
I think all of the cracked Commencal frames I've seen were Furious, not Metas. All of them in the weld between the down tube and the BB.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
IMG-20230624-WA0021.jpg

Wet ride, a 3ft tall log spine I use to scrub, and too much eagerness made for a good recipe for disaster. Front tire slipped, the scrub didn't go as planned and I landed the XX1 chainring on the top of the spine.

Had to use my Leatherman to get it straight enough for it to turn without hitting the chainstay.

The worst part was this happened 20 minutes into my ride. I had to finish it spinning like crazy to avoid a crack to finish the chainring before I had the chance to go back to my car.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
View attachment 195926

Wet ride, a 3ft tall log spine I use to scrub, and too much eagerness made for a good recipe for disaster. Front tire slipped, the scrub didn't go as planned and I landed the XX1 chainring on the top of the spine.

Had to use my Leatherman to get it straight enough for it to turn without hitting the chainstay.

The worst part was this happened 20 minutes into my ride. I had to finish it spinning like crazy to avoid a crack to finish the chainring before I had the chance to go back to my car.

You no like taco's?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thought I'd got a problem with my rear hub the noise my drivetrain was making the previous couple of rides. Swapped the chainring before todays ride and it was silent. Clearly that old one had done its time.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm not clear on the intent of this thread. Sometimes it's bike parts, sometimes it's human parts.

Today I broke my scapula riding. It was really slick this morning after overnight rains. The new bermy trail was super greasy, so I thought maybe the rocks would be less slick. Like a noob or something. Anyways, entered a steep rocky roll that is eroded to hell now. Slipped out at the top and cartwheeled down. Wound up breaking my scapula. The doctor thinks I must have hit a rock right on the shoulder blade as I cartwheeled down. There is no displacement in the fracture, which I guess is good,but I'll be off the bike for however long it takes to heal. Usually 6 weeks I guess? Perfect... Ironically it's the same scapula I broke the coracoid process 2 years ago.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
E13 cassette came off the splines today 1/2 mile into my ride, which was going to be bike portage up 50% grades for sweet DH action. Has to do with the shim they recommend I think. Removed and reinstalled at home, then rode trails closer to home, still decent vert.