Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
New bike came with I-9 Enduro S wheels. What appears to be a minor rim ding buckled the rim bed to the point that it is impossible to seat a tubeless tire even with a compressor. Rim seems to be made from some kind of soft cheese, or perhaps an aged cheese with really thin walls.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, it was an EXO. Nice hole in the tire from a sharp rock. In this kit I had my cut-down automotive plugs. Worked great once I was able to get a little of my sealant washed over it. Held up for the ~16 miles and back to the car. Putting a patch on today.
eq2d1YuSjhZBwtxmQda3vG6B96f59H-d1f4q-0bhcE8-1875x2048.jpg

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
I Discovered this on my archaic DH bike at the bike park yesterday. Luckily, I had my general purpose mtb with me as well.
IMG_0435.jpeg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dang, those are some rips.

I'm not sure, if 5dev really know what they are doing. There are reports of failures everywhere I think.
I want to know what he did to break the frame and the cranks at the same time. Cranks certainly didn't behave like a fuseable link.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
1 buddy broke his levo the other destroyed the 5dev crank shaftView attachment 196468View attachment 196469View attachment 196470
How thin is the metal there where it cracked?

Dang, those are some rips.

I'm not sure, if 5dev really know what they are doing. There are reports of failures everywhere I think.
While we only hear about the failures, yeah its concerning. This one looks like the crank bolt snapped. Too many ugga duggas? :busted:

But if I was one of the folks who were given the cranks as a sponsored item and ride very hard, I'd be gritting my teeth on every compression. Or just bailing on them...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I haven't seen any crank model break more than the 5Dev, and they're probably the least common. Seeing this, and how the company replied to the little bike shop guy (even considering that he was pretty childish), I wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
2 different guys, we have seen 2 crank failures and 1 pedal...told em when they jumped on the bandwagon even i won't ride that stuff.. not a chance, my degrees are NDT II and metals, welding and structures...saw this the minute a fanboy buddy popped up with em...I will ride some questionable shit but not these.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Not me, but a local snapped his OneUp bar and was rewarded with 25 stitches to the face.
G-out at the bottom of a rock roll in Whistler.

First time I heard of one breaking....:eek:
Yeah I haven't heard of any failures on these...I run it on evil it's getting swapped to SC...Love how they perform and dampen , i had em on a freeride bike for jumps and drops (nothing massive) but never questioned them....

Glad he's ok, G-outs destroy lots of stuff , rear triangles, wheels, buddy went over bars head into ground (he's a fellow RM lol)

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Sucked a rock up into my derailleur. Luckily it happened the day after I ordered X0 Transmission through the shop, and my buddy has a spare RD to loan me in the mean time.
IMG_4028.JPG

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
When 5Dev first launched their cranks, I asked them if they were tested to CEN or EFBE standards.
They pretty much said they make parts for satellites so they're good.... :bonk:

Relying on the bike industry classic "let the customer do the testing" standard.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
New bike came with I-9 Enduro S wheels. What appears to be a minor rim ding buckled the rim bed to the point that it is impossible to seat a tubeless tire even with a compressor. Rim seems to be made from some kind of soft cheese, or perhaps an aged cheese with really thin walls.
the non dh rims are pretty thin

Ive bent back a few.

What size? If 27.5 Ive got some bits if you need them

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I Discovered this on my archaic DH bike at the bike park yesterday. Luckily, I had my general purpose mtb with me as well.View attachment 196389
Just fyi, I rode one of those for 5 years like that. It never grew.

Retired the frame after a headtube crack years later

Every one of those frames developed small cracks where yours did. I dont know of a single failure there and dt was honest with me about those.

You can certainly run another bead over it too.

Its a little bit of a design flaw...big rigid cnc part welded to a tube in a heavy load part of the frame. The tube flexes, the machined block doesnt

Last edited:

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Unsure about 'broke' as it is but had a problem develop with XO Transmission after setup. An audible noise like having an improper chain-length would attach itself to gears 3 (most volume), 2 (much reduced vol.) and 1 (very muted) - where the chain would to the ear appear to be rising from and settling into a pulley-wheel very rapidly, making a plastic-ie gear-nash sound. When swapping cassettes/CR on what was my very 1st modern conventional drop bar bike, if not w/ a re-resized chain during the in-between, this sound would completely disappear once dropping to the 39T CR from the 53T.

Had no such luck but was able to reach out to SRAM. Made note of the specifics re: bike size, rearward axle path and a next bike size overlap and, SRAM offered to send a chain to test my bike. Going shorter had not affected anything, had no way to test going longer than spec'd and a chain got sent out: longer was not able to work completely however.

High gear would have the chain scrape along the derailleur body. Just test rode the bike this afternoon with a fresh reinstall of everything and, the noise came, and went, in 3rd gear but nowhere's near loudness/duration.

Have heard about general 'factory lube' :bad: , where chains have a general problem but have never had this effect me, ever. This new XX-SL chain + 1 re-install (after about a dozen from new) seem to have worked some sort of system. No rides on the bike since the problem developed a couple weeks ago - test was in a parking lot with inclines between the raindrops since it has been raining here since forever. I know there's quite a few new hardline areas to adhere to with the SRAM Transmission setup but, each time these were always reverted to during experiments.

I guess any 2nd test would be the old chain on my hillclimb bike, which is also 12spd but a Ratio ratchet SRAM Red system with a Rotor cassette. But those are much different cogs and an 11spd X-Sync CR. This chain is a larger version of the SRAM Road Flattop chain.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Read that twice and still confiused.
Are you saying you're using SRAM XO (T type mtb cassette, chain and deraileur) on a roadbike with a 39/52 double chainset?