Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
I just quit and ride dirbikes now because I don't want to give money to anyone but GG. :D
I have been strongly considering getting a dirt bike for a couple years now. It’s looking more tempting now considering a new YZ starts at 7k. I could probably find a newish one for like 5? A new DH bike with usable parts is the same monies. My wife would probably require one also shortly after, and the kiddo…. Starting to feel slippery.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have been strongly considering getting a dirt bike for a couple years now. It’s looking more tempting now considering a new YZ starts at 7k. I could probably find a newish one for like 5? A new DH bike with usable parts is the same monies. My wife would probably require one also shortly after, and the kiddo…. Starting to feel slippery.
I bought a basically unridden 2020 yz125x for 6k

come to the dark side

we have moar fun

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019
IMG_5730.jpeg
Snapped spoke at Angelfire off the wall ride in the upper mountain. As an aside, the new Candyland jumps are some of the best I’ve hit in the United States.

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019
A few of my carbon bars look like that from where the final fabric layer ends. Or wrinkles. Tapping close to, and away from the crack should yield different tones if it is in fact a crack.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Positive, nail hooks you can feel it...i was chatting with @buckoW I triple checked ..it's a crack

Already ordered another set of carbon and will be adding the alloy version as well.

Buddy who does aviation design and molds said the same thing I'm thinking it's a fluke...1 in a million , I love the bars they do work for my wrists
we both would run them , just not ride DH huck style with my weight..but I do trust them...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You didn't try to warranty them?
Already ordered (alloy and carbon bars) last night , and have plans for this one...
Going to do a cut away, making a towel holder out of it...already tore a shock apart and made a pen out of it
Made tools out of a destroyed charger damper...it's become assimilated into shop...

Have tool holders made out of bad shock stanchions .

Got a set of kashima fox 40 stanchions I'm figuring out what to do with, think it'll be drilled full of holes and hold t-handle Allen's and torx...

20230807_130227.jpg
20230807_130216.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'd have expected a big guy like you to have found those things far too flexy anyway?
They scared me when we realised we could flex them before even fitting them to a(nother rider's) bike.
I put em on a bike I didn't think I'd hammer down on...and realistically with my weight I shouldn't have taken the HT there...I did look for cracks and other damage on frame.

Yeah you are 100% right I can grab bars and flex it , but for what I should keep it for it should be fine...I got alloys as well but my concern is with the ovalization of material they will fold..

1 is stronger 1 is harder both share the same crush zone, I can't say which is more prone to failure given the shape and stress risers...not even unforseen ones, just basic failure testing...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Gotta think positive Woo
Have you seen who sells mtb parts? It's not your buddy who does real engineering for planes. He has his job because he majored in engineering, not "product blah blah blah"

there's thinking postively and then there's sprinting into a brick wall that you just sprinted into before and wondered why you did that, but then you get up and do it again

I'll just say what I say to all who think carbon bars give them something aluminum does not (beyond the feeling of living dangerously): "good luck"

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Have you seen who sells mtb parts? It's not your buddy who does real engineering for planes. He has his job because he majored in engineering, not "product blah blah blah"

there's thinking postively and then there's sprinting into a brick wall that you just sprinted into before and wondered why you did that, but then you get up and do it again

I'll just say what I say to all who think carbon bars give them something aluminum does not (beyond the feeling of living dangerously): "good luck"
Are you not familiar with the Boeing 737 Max? :rolleyes:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Oh hell yes Woo . That was much better than a typical smart ass witt response I left open for you ..damn when I think I'm going to get a quick witt you go and make a point ..DAMMIT . Now I'm going to run 2 carbon bars per bike, I'll clamp em end to end at stem...

But in lieu of what you said about wall, I keep telling my wife I won't grow old, in going out head on into a brick wall 100mph naked and on fire...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
100mph naked and on fire...
atta boy

at least have some fun with it

Just remember, keep buying bars made out of the only material that regularly fails catastrophically when clamped. It's not like lock on grips, brakes and a shifter count. The performance of a handlebar made out of that material literally transforms the entire bike compared to using a handlebar made out of aluminum (what we call the material of the poors). Live life to the fullest. No one ever had a bike that weighed and worked the exact same with an aluminum handlebar......just remember that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What’s the story behind your opinion?
30 years of riding mountainbikes, with others riding more aggressively and abusively than average users, yet not switching out parts every 5 minutes like spAnsrd racers, and watching people get fucked up from broken carbon bars over, and over, and over again.

more like a novel than a story really

I like stiff carbon frames. They ride differently and if done well, with a level of precision that takes a heavier aluminum frame to duplicate.

Carbon bars offer pretty much no performance advantage, but with all the corner cutting, new shit to market bs of this idiot dependent industry, and inherent downfalls of carbon....exacerbated by being literally the only carbon component on a modern mountainbike that receives clamping forces, by design. A force that specifically compromises cured carbon weaves.

I've cracked every carbon frame I've ever owned but one. And none of them made me lose control of the bike. A handlebar however.... You don't ride out of that.

Last edited: