Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I still don't understand why if you're spending $600 on cranks for the bling factor (why else get these), why not just get ewings or XTR cranks or something. Something known to not explode while just riding around.

I feel as though my XT cranks are a status symbol. Status of not being a dumbass.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I know you guys don't like SRAM cranks, but I've beaten the shit out of X1s and X01s without any bending/twisting. I managed to crack a direct mount BlackBox chainring without even damaging the BB30 bearings.

The only downside are the 40 uggaduggas torque they require. But greasing the spindle before installing them seems to help.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know you guys don't like SRAM cranks, but I've beaten the shit out of X1s and X01s without any bending/twisting. I managed to crack a direct mount BlackBox chainring without even damaging the BB30 bearings.

The only downside are the 40 uggaduggas torque they require. But greasing the spindle before installing them seems to help.
Oh, I broke em...but only after they took like 500x than RF carbon cranks, all sorts of DH races and bashing on things...

IMG_5385.JPG

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I know you guys don't like SRAM cranks, but I've beaten the shit out of X1s and X01s without any bending/twisting.
I'd be impressed if you managed to bend a carbon crank. :D

I'm pretty sure a Descendent Carbon holds the belt for the carbon crank I've put the most time on without breaking, but those use a single piece aluminum bar through the middle for both the spindle and pedal inserts. Race Face cut me off from warranty on Next Rs after 4 or 5 sets a while back.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Screenshot_20230826-201305-756.png

Well, just jinxed myself. I'm still swearing by my SRAM X1 cranks, but the Dub BB shat the bed. I cut the drive side bearing cup off the threaded part that goes into the frame. Had to walk 3km back to my car.

I still feel like I should be proud of my record. I've done the same to GXP, Dub and BB30 BSA BBs, all SRAM branded. Once I replace this one with a Chinese First branded BB I'll be back on two wheels.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Something aint right with my drive-side metal RF crankarm. Yeah, it's missing 1 out of 4 chainring bolts, but I did the 30 mile 5,500 vert ride just fine without that...but it's a bit loose. The crank bolt does not appear to be loose, nor is the self-extractor. It's sitting on one of those M800 BBs. I can't see this ending well. Canfield said they had cranks back in stock...Will find out tomorrow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That chainring bolt is somewhere in Whitehorse. Likely on Money Shot.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Get a Shimano crank, problem solved.

What race face crank is that? I thought they all had the Cinch interface now, which does away with the chain ring bolts.
idk, it's made of metal. Kidwoo said it wouldn't break

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
newmen a30 wheels, one rim cracked on the first ride, 2 spokes on the front wheel in one week @ paganella.

wheels are not for enduro type tech tracks and people with 95kg

on the hunt again for a durable, alu wheelset -.-

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
idk, it's made of metal. Kidwoo said it wouldn't break
Turns out there was a washer missing from the crank bolt. I had bought this Evolve crankset second hand. It looks pretty much identical to a spare 177 turbine set I have, so I used that crank arm and it bolted right up. The bolt in the turbine seems better too, solid, vs the hollow aluminum in the Evolve. So swapped bolts and it seems fine now. Not sure how that ended up missing in the first place.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Y 4 U not build yer own?
it's generally moar expensive to.
I've been building wheels for decades and still do for money/beer. But I rarely ever build my own anymore. still go over off the shelfs with a spoke key tho.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
newmen a30 wheels, one rim cracked on the first ride, 2 spokes on the front wheel in one week @ paganella.

wheels are not for enduro type tech tracks and people with 95kg

Why are you hunting around when certain DT Swiss rims are known to be very strong?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pretty hard to argue with DT Swiss anything on whatever hubs make the buzzy sound you prefer.

FWIW, I'm still pretty impressed by the DeeMax pro wheelset that came on my enduro bike when I bought it. I budgeted to replace one or both of those wheels ASAP, but nearly three seasons later they're still going strong and I'm really, really sold on the UST tubeless system for zero hassles. Plus being able to replace spokes with the wheel still in the frame and no disassembly of cassette, rotor or tyre. They have fuck all engagement points though so if you give a shit about that it will drive you nuts.