Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Damn that sucks! My co-worker just did the same right after we started riding together. Healing vibes man!

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Sucked my XT derailleur into my back wheel after doing a big transfer at a bike park. Went slightly deep, and i like to give it a nice tweak, but landing deeper must have made the cage hit and grab the spokes.
Sounded like a motorcycle gearbox letting go .
Pulled chain, junked dead derailleur, tightened up a fair few bent spokes ( somehow none broke ) and continued chainless. God i love chainless bikes…so pure

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Been trying to figure out this creak that started after I put on the TRS+ cranks. Big beefy carbon cranks in 165, but ever since I did that, I've had bad creaking. Changed seatpost, BB, done all sorts of greasing of collar, BB, bearings, etc. Seems very likely it's the cranks. Can't figure out how to get my old metal cranks back on...but they are too long anyway. Some new Atlas cranks are probably the ticket. RF doesn't mess up metal cranks much.
NOT CRANKS, there was a suspension bolt that I was able to get a little tighter. It was tight, but with another quarter turn, sound went away. Took it out just now and red-loctite-ed it, hopefully it doesn't need any further attention. I couldn't get my old cranks on, so I bought some Atlas cranks...which are good, RF doesn't screw up metal cranks too badly...but evidently not needed now.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Those "look" very Novatecy

If it's any consolation Shimano's own microspline freehubs shit the bed pretty regularly too. it's a terrible design. Shimano's attempt to match XD's 10t smallest sprocket fails miserably to match anything else about the design... The only plus is cheaper cassettes... I'd honestly just avoid MS and stick with HG if the cost of XD cassettes puts you off.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Those "look" very Novatecy

If it's any consolation Shimano's own microspline freehubs shit the bed pretty regularly too. it's a terrible design. Shimano's attempt to match XD's 10t smallest sprocket fails miserably to match anything else about the design... The only plus is cheaper cassettes... I'd honestly just avoid MS and stick with HG if the cost of XD cassettes puts you off.
Does anyone do a 42 or 45t in 12 speed Hg?
I got angry looking and just bought a MS hub, then another.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why not 11-42 or 11-46 in 11spd since you're dumping the stupid 10T anyway
Because I "Need" the TRP 12sp shifter due to shitty thumb.
If I don't use the Shimano shifters I'm still able to spin filters off by hand at work(plus other mechanic stuff) and I get virtually no thumb pain, swap back to a Shimano shifter and I'm fucked.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Because I "Need" the TRP 12sp shifter due to shitty thumb.
If I don't use the Shimano shifters I'm still able to spin filters off by hand at work(plus other mechanic stuff) and I get virtually no thumb pain, swap back to a Shimano shifter and I'm fucked.
Electric shifter requires practically no strength and is super fast. But batteries and stuff. I do think it is superior to regular mech/cable. But does come at some risk that mech/cable is not. But to each their own. And I do own both....still. Just cuz.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Electric shifter requires practically no strength and is super fast. But batteries and stuff. I do think it is superior to regular mech/cable. But does come at some risk that mech/cable is not. But to each their own. And I do own both....still. Just cuz.
Yeah I punched probably $1000 in to the Archer mish mash system and it sucked, going back to cable was fucking fantastic, just jump on the bike and go for a ride and everything works.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Think I might have told you this before... But an SLX 11spd shifter with 11spd GX derailleur gives a really light downshift thumb paddle shift feel. plus you can push or pull the upshift lever using either your thumb or forefinger

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Think I might have told you this before... But an SLX 11spd shifter with 11spd GX derailleur gives a really light downshift thumb paddle shift feel. plus you can push or pull the upshift lever using either your thumb or forefinger
SRAM shifters have longer downshift paddles, paired with moar tightly packed shifts. This makes them easier to push than Shimano ones, and your thumb doesn't need to travel three miles to go up a couple cogs.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah I punched probably $1000 in to the Archer mish mash system and it sucked, going back to cable was fucking fantastic, just jump on the bike and go for a ride and everything works.
What is this Archer thing? Not aware obvsies.

I do SRAM AXS. just cuz easy. One of my bikes even has the AXS seatpost. It's soooo easy. But does come at a risk. But is super fast. And no cable. Soooo? IDK is it superior? probably not, but I dig it.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What is it about the TRP shifter that makes it work better for you?
Have seen one in the workshop but honestly can't remember how it felt. And isn't it a double thumb push lever like SRAM?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah but it's the moving my thumb backwards bit that I struggle with, my shifter is set up so the downshift paddle is maybe 10mm behind the upshift paddle.

EDIT- Downshift paddle is adjustable.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
SRAM shifters have longer downshift paddles, paired with moar tightly packed shifts. This makes them easier to push than Shimano ones, and your thumb doesn't need to travel three miles to go up a couple cogs.
Yeah. I was surprised by the light action of the SLX/GX combo. I guess the 11spd GX mechs have a lighter spring.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hold on bro. If you don't think the AXS shifting is faster than cable?
I know for a fact it's a lot slower.
Nerded out and timed them in the workshop.
OG AXS is noticably slower than cable
and T-type is laughably slow.

But happy to take you up on the free flights and accommodation. I'll bring the beer

[edit] Oh... and while I'm slating new new shiny shiny pricy pricy components for not actually being an improvement. Older 10spd absolutely blows the doors off 12 for speed of shifts

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah but it's the moving my thumb backwards bit that I struggle with, my shifter is set up so the downshift paddle is maybe 10mm behind the upshift paddle.

EDIT- Downshift paddle is adjustable.
Ah. Arthritis?
Me too. it can be a cunt

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I know for a fact it's a lot slower.
Nerded out and timed them in the workshop.
OG AXS is noticably slower than cable
and T-type is laughably slow.

But happy to take you up on the free flights and accommodation. I'll bring the beer
Well obviously you need to get out of the horrible world of the UK. There's no argue in that. Some Colorado sun may do you good. Vitamin D and whatknot. Hippies. Not so much. HA

So wait. Are we talking shifting or seatpost?

Cus if you're talking shifting. No way Jose. That shit is fast and precise. But I'm also old school and appreciate a cable. But bikes being bikes and tech being tech. Still. Tho. No way a cable is faster than AXS.

Perhaps we need a shifter challenge? HA I have no way to measure or the patience. So maybe something for the Dirt Shed Show?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Well obviously you need to get out of the horrible world of the UK. There's no argue in that. Some Colorado sun may do you good. Vitamin D and whatknot. Hippies. Not so much. HA

So wait. Are we talking shifting or seatpost?

Cus if you're talking shifting. No way Jose. That shit is fast and precise. But I'm also old school and appreciate a cable. But bikes being bikes and tech being tech. Still. Tho. No way a cable is faster than AXS.

Perhaps we need a shifter challenge? HA I have no way to measure or the patience. So maybe something for the Dirt Shed Show?
Shifters you fanny. :rofl:
Since when did SRAM make a T-type Reverb? and since when dide it "shift"?

Oh... and wireless droppers being digital also offer absolutely no fine control so are more difficult to drop and raise precisely by small amounts than cable actuated.

I love road Di2 2x. but the rest of electronic controls can get in the fucking sea

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
for the hard of understanding:
A switch and digital signal is obviously faster than a mechanical cable.
BUT... an AXS mech doesn't physically shift as quickly as a "dumb" mechanical mech. Particularly in multiple shifts.
And T-type is timed with the corresponding T-type cassette profiles. So way slower.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Shifters you fanny. :rofl:
Since when did SRAM make a T-type Reverb? and since when dide it "shift"?

Oh... and wireless droppers being digital also offer absolutely no fine control so are more difficult to drop and raise precisely by small amounts than cable actuated.

I love road Di2 2x. but the rest of electronic controls can get in the fucking sea
C'mon man. It's like 7am my time. Saturday morning after having way too much wine. And no coffee yet. What can you expect of me? Except mountain bike related ramblings? There. I said it. HA

I still say, no matter what. AXS is faster than cable. Prove me wrong. Maybe your stuff was not maintained? IDK. But like I said. You ride one of my bikes. It's obvious.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
C'mon man. It's like 7am my time. Saturday morning after having way too much wine. And no coffee yet. What can you expect of me? Except mountain bike related ramblings? There. I said it. HA

I still say, no matter what. AXS is faster than cable. Prove me wrong. Maybe your stuff was not maintained? IDK. But like I said. You ride one of my bikes. It's obvious.
AXS in both cases was brand new and newly (professionally) fitted mate!
I don't really need to prove you wrong. You just are.
Coolaid for breaky? :brows:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
OH YEAH! (coolaid guys voice)

But really. Just the throw in the shifter takes more time. Trust the science in the Colorado hippies. They could tell you better than I. HA

Oh and the boys of SRAM are in Colorado. But they won't chime in here. But I'm sure they're listening.

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No.

you really don't get it. Fair enough. I assume you paid good money for your slower shifting gearing system. Why would you want to hear the truth about it?

4 full pushes on a mechanical 12spd downshifter will shift through an entire 12spd cassette 10 to 52 in less than 2 seconds. Go try holding your little tamagotchi button and tell me how long it took to shift 10t - 52t through your full cassette?
Mechanical will shift 52 to 10T as quick as you can keep pressing/releasing the upshifter so slightly faster than it downshifts but to be generous lets say just less then 2 sec for that too.
Next hold onto the other tamagotchi button and tell me how long your AXS took.

Guessing you have OG AXS since you somehow haven't noticed (like I said). That T-type is ridiculously slow to shift through an entire cassette.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Alright. Fair play. My jam is different from yours. If that's your way of measuring things. Hey boys of SRAM, take note. Gary thinks there's room for improvement.