Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
What with actual quantifiable units and facts?
Weird AF eh?
I'll just agree to disagree.

My fancy XT/XTR cable set up is slower than my AXS. But can't really prove it. Just gut feeling. Again. Something for the internet video nerds to prove.

And there is something to be said about ease of set up. Can we agree on that? There's no cable to fuss about with, right? It just works, right out of the box. How many times can you say that? About anything these days?

And for ebikes. If You got electro shifting. No need to drop to motor (which is a PITA) in order to change a derailer cable?! Or Seatpost? Sure it's clean. But really?! That is pretty janky design if you ask me.

No one should ever have to drop a motor for a cable change.

Kind of reminds me of the old school Nissans and timing belt chains. Like really? FFS. I don't buy Nissans anymore. Not sure if that's still a thing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
But can't really prove it
There IS a very good reason for that.
I have a video of a brand new T type AXS setup on a brand new bike shifting through the gears while on the workstand. pedalled at a reasonable cadence it takes an incredibly long time to shift from 10 to 52T and back to the 10T when just holding the shift switches in.
I don't know how to post vids from my phone to here. The Vid's a dull AF watch anyway TBF

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
And there is something to be said about ease of set up. Can we agree on that?
Nope. Not at all.
There's no cable to fuss about with, right?
You fuss over cables? Why. They're really very very simple things.
But then I must've fitted tens of thousands of bicycle brake and gear cables in my time. So I'm perhaps not the most sympathetic to that complaint.
I'd agree routing cables can be a ballache from time to time. But the worst frames you'll ever come across are Ebikes and Roadbikes which are universally hated here so irrelevant to this discussion.

It just works, right out of the box.
Not always. No.
Plus it needs to be paired, OG AXS often still needs indexed and Both still require the battery to be charged. ie. MOAR faff.
T-Type can be a nightmare to sort out when it doesn't "just work" out the box. Not often. But believe me. it IS a thing. That whole indestructible , You can stand on it shit. is just marketing BS too. Much like spreading jam on CDs BITD! When asked to stand on one. My mate, to much amusement broke the demo T-Type derailleur at the UK launch. We've warrantied a few now.
How many times can you say that? About anything these days?
probably not many. But only because I lose interest fairly quickly when forced to repeat myself over and over. *hint*

also. The SRAM UDH and T-type derailleur connection has slight a flaw in it's design. As it's been designed to be able to rotate on the frame. If it's hit, or when the rider removes the rear wheel it (even when torqued to spec) it can rotate out of alignment and fuck up their mech's operation. and there's actually no exact position for the mech to be set at due to difference between frame design. Tell me that won't be a faff for your general non mechanically ept rider trailside?

Nu Shit is still shit! Ie. still stinks

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
There IS a very good reason for that.
I have a video of a brand new T type AXS setup on a brand new bike shifting through the gears while on the workstand. pedalled at a reasonable cadence it takes an incredibly long time to shift from 10 to 52T and back to the 10T when just holding the shift switches in.
I don't know how to post vids from my phone to here. The Vid's a dull AF watch anyway TBF
But who actually does that in the real world? I see your point. You did your due diligence. Right on.

But it's not really valid in real life application. If you have to dump an entire cassette and then come back up all that fast? I'd love to see that trail. Heck, I'll come out to you and bring the beer.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Nope. Not at all.

You fuss over cables? Why. They're really very very simple things.
But then I must've fitted tens of thousands of bicycle brake and gear cables in my time. So I'm perhaps not the most sympathetic to that complaint.
I'd agree routing cables can be a ballache from time to time. But the worst frames you'll ever come across are Ebikes and Roadbikes which are universally hated here so irrelevant to this discussion.

Not always. No.
Plus it needs to be paired, OG AXS often still needs indexed and Both still require the battery to be charged. ie. MOAR faff.
T-Type can be a nightmare to sort out when it doesn't "just work" out the box. Not often. But believe me. it IS a thing. That whole indestructible , You can stand on it shit. is just marketing BS too. Much like spreading jam on CDs BITD! When asked to stand on one. My mate, to much amusement broke the demo T-Type derailleur at the UK launch. We've warrantied a few now.
probably not many. But only because I lose interest fairly quickly when forced to repeat myself over and over. *hint*

also. The SRAM UDH and T-type derailleur connection has slight a flaw in it's design. As it's been designed to be able to rotate on the frame. If it's hit, or when the rider removes the rear wheel it (even when torqued to spec) it can rotate out of alignment and fuck up their mech's operation. and there's actually no exact position for the mech to be set at due to difference between frame design. Tell me that won't be a faff for your general non mechanically ept rider trailside?

Nu Shit is still shit! Ie. still stinks
Wow bro. Just wow. Have an IPA on me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
But who actually does that in the real world?
What? Who changes more than one gear at a time?
I'd have thought pretty much everyone who rides mountain bikes would do at some point.
I know I do pretty much every ride.
Y'know... when changes in gradient or changes in speed happen.

Incase you still haven't realised. The point I was making with the example I asked you to try was to show you that ALL multiple shifts are slower with AXS than cable shifting.