Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Dt370 has pawls according to Google. It seems to be upgradable to ratchet. Maybe a good time to take that opportunity?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why does everyone seem to see a ratchet as an "upgrade"? Pawl systems done well can to my mind also be reliable and durable but with higher points of engagement.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ps. Decently high POE is pretty much a requirement if you have a freewheel at the spider too. Ie. ALL EMTBs

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Why does everyone seem to see higher points of engagement as an "upgrade"?
Its really easy to sell them on it.
72 to 144 you can notice
144 to 216 couldnt.... tell
So ofc everyone needs 590
And guys you know never be ratchet or sessioning impossible climbs will tell you how awesome high poe is and how it helped their riding....

Even if it is slow and high drag.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I don't remember trying more than 36 poe... ignorance might be a bliss?

I started as a shimano fanboy with 18 poe cup and cone hubs, it just worked great. It was maybe even 16 poe at the time? Then had superstar components hubs that didn't last very long... after that I had some Fun Works hubs which are still around. Last 8 years I have been on dt350. DH has 18 poe, trail bikes and commuter have 36.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Do you think that might be because in the grand scheme of things star ratchet Freehubs are incredibly fucking rare? And tons of manufacturers make poor quality pawl freehub rear hubs?
One of the least durable Freehub body mechanisms are IMO the shimano non serviceable variety. And there are litterally millions of them out there. But as an avid mountainbike hobbyist how many of those have you actually "seen" fail?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Of course, that was my first thought, but doesn’t change what I have seen firsthand for 40 years
Well. Let's not forget. For at least the first 10 of those years DT hadn't even released their ratchet design yet. :dirol:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Because I have seen hundreds of borked pawl system hubs over the decades, and extremely few borked ratchet free hubs?
I've done two star ratchet knockoffs, I think the Novatec premium was the only pawl hub I have broken.
I've snapped a few axles but the freehubs were still okay, when the Syntace star ratchet type died it went from not slipping once to having no drive at all.

Pawls make sense, the thing that takes the load is the outermost part and if you beak one you're probably gonna get home.
If you break part of a star ratchet type tooth the bit will most likely wedge in between the two pieces and fuck your day up.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
20240820_193351.jpg

Technically, I was still on my bike, does that count?

Front wheel washed out on a surprisingly slippery slab. Took the foot out in an attempt to minimize the severity of the unavoidable crash and the 5th metatarsal snapped. First day of a biking trip in BC. :(

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I think my DT 370 is getting borked (slipping under severe load).
Anyone familiar with those internals?
I am pretty familiar with 240/350’s, but not those.
I did the 370 to 350 conversion a few years back. Can't really tell you if it was worth the upgrade (scored a 370 hub for stupid cheap, tools/parts still less than a decent used 350 hub).

Used this video guide:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Why does everyone seem to see a ratchet as an "upgrade"? Pawl systems done well can to my mind also be reliable and durable but with higher points of engagement.
I gave up on pawls after exploding my rear hub twice in the course of a month, once on a bike trip to Moab. Yes, they were Shimano, but the thought the force of all that torque passing through three tiny pawls just didn't inspire confidence. At the time, "high-end" pawl-based hubs were I9. And they were the same price as King hubs. I'm still running my King hub over 15 years later. The only reason I'll probably stop using it is because it was originally a 135, converted to 142, and I'm not sure it's worth doing the 148 conversion... but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Just out of curiosity, what hubs that use pawls do you consider reliable and durable? I seem to recall you're not a fan of Hope. Usually, I9 and Hope are touted as the more reliable options...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
outer cage on my xtr rear derailleur seems to have borked. :hmm:
anyone know the p/n for the replacement? appears to be fine other than the outer half of the cage.

IMG_1298.JPG

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBH. I wouldn't really recommend anything in particular. I tend to go with what I deem VFM and just use common sense. But service the fuckers when required. But there are hubs if definitely avoid.
FYI. I have 20000 derestricted Emtb miles on an OEM Novatec rear pawl freehub hub. It's had 3 rims and ONE full bearing change.
As comparison. Ive NEVER gotten half that out any Hope hub on normal bikes before the hub bodies or flanges (or both) cracked.
Can't say I'm really interested in "fancy" or "pretty" CNCd hubs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
outer cage on my xtr rear derailleur seems to have borked. :hmm:
anyone know the p/n for the replacement? appears to be fine other than the outer half of the cage.

View attachment 217503
Let me see what I have in my box of random parts. I had to rebuild such a derailleur a while back. I bought a whole long cage assembly off of E-bay. Can't remember what was actually broken though. May need a reminder.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I gave up on pawls after exploding my rear hub twice in the course of a month, once on a bike trip to Moab. Yes, they were Shimano, but the thought the force of all that torque passing through three tiny pawls just didn't inspire confidence. At the time, "high-end" pawl-based hubs were I9. And they were the same price as King hubs. I'm still running my King hub over 15 years later. The only reason I'll probably stop using it is because it was originally a 135, converted to 142, and I'm not sure it's worth doing the 148 conversion... but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Just out of curiosity, what hubs that use pawls do you consider reliable and durable? I seem to recall you're not a fan of Hope. Usually, I9 and Hope are touted as the more reliable options...
You missed out on 45 bearing replacements with the i9.....