Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
In the case of renthal "ohhh sooo moto"
aluminum bars, heavyish but fine i guess.
carbon bars, overbuilt and the wrist i broke told me to give them away.

stems
somewhere here on ride monkey there is a picture of a racked rental integra dh stem, like very bent.
My friend put a stem just like westys on his bike and I was with him on its maiden voyage.
It turned and he crashed. He tightened it, It turned again, and he crashed again. At this point 20mins into a 45min climb I asked him you didn't grease this did you? He assured me he did not I checked and you can be gDamn sure it was over 4nm. I tightened it to "might break a bolt or pull a thread" level and it was fine.

I haven't inspected it as its not mine. but I suspect the finish probably looks like Westys.
The V1 aluminum bars were super heavy and way too stiff, but the V2s are nice. Biggest selling point for me is a huge range of rise options, in 10mm increments, and a little less backsweep (7°) than average.

Seen a bunch of issues with their stems though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I cased a mini-gap today and punctured my tire. this is my second time doing it this spring, in the same manner... which is odd - I almost never punctured the tread before, my tire problems were always pinch flats. I switched to DHR2 EXO+ with a Tannus Tubeless insert (from DHR2 DD casing). Both times the puncture was at a knob where it meets the casing. I thought the casing under the tread was the same on DD and EXO+, that just the sidewalls were different. I'm wondering if the thread gauges or the number of plys are different.

Will have to research further.
To answer my own questions: I think there are more layers of casing in the DD than in the EXO+ (5 vs 4?):
1621275415960.png

1621275434641.png

They both also use 120 tpi casing. I guess there's just less of it in the EXO+.

This makes me sad because I thought I'd found a good solution in the EXO+ w Tannus Tubeless insert. Now I might just go back to DD. Or stick with the EXO+ for spring and fall, when traction is at a premium and lower pressures are beneficial, and put DD on when things are fast, and I'm more inclined to get "sendy".

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Same here with Renthal bars, choice of rise and the backsweep feels spot on (really noticable when trying another bar). I had a Duo stem a couple of years ago and it creaked badly, and was unecessarily crap to install which becomes a PITA of you are going through a phase of trying different setups (I run my cables and hoses short and need to remove my bar/stem to take the brake levers and gear shifter off etc.). Sold the stem and never looked for another from Renthal.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
IMG_1101.JPG

I took a little hip a little too wide and found the same root that took out a buddy found a couple months ago. I'm pretty pleased that I managed to not OTB like he did.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I see you have ext foakrz
How do you like them
Without getting too long winded, it's very good. I took a gamble and pre-ordered it, so "only" paid like $1600 instead of $2k. It has very good small bump sensitivity while maintaining excellent mid-stroke. The damper range is useable, and I can feel a difference between the clicks. I don't default to running it wide-open like I did on the RC2 and GRIP2. I do find that the suggested pressures and damper settings err on the side of very aggressive riders. For non-rad riders like me, reducing pressure and clicks is needed (but again, it was very rideable with suggested settings, just would never come close to using full travel).

One weird trait of it is when pedaling it tends to ride at essentially full extension. I am guessing this is due to the small spring it uses for initial travel. But as soon as you weight it a bit, it tracks smoothly as expected.

Basic oil change doesn't look too bad, but the service manual I was given had a translation error which caused me to strip the foot stud hex fittings. SS replaced those under warranty and did the needed oil change for me for free. I'll try to do it again myself next time. The translation error was that it said to hold a nut with a 19mm crescent, then use a 4mm allen to turn the stud (air shaft / damper shaft), when it meant hold the stud with the allen and loosen the nut with the crescent.

My gut feeling is that at $2k it's overpriced, and that most people who are looking for a really well balanced fork would probably be able to get very close with like a '21 36 & Runt. But if you don't want to fuck around with a bunch of aftermarket mods, and just get something really good out of the box, it's the one. Oh, and it doesn't creak.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Without getting too long winded, it's very good. I took a gamble and pre-ordered it, so "only" paid like $1600 instead of $2k. It has very good small bump sensitivity while maintaining excellent mid-stroke. The damper range is useable, and I can feel a difference between the clicks. I don't default to running it wide-open like I did on the RC2 and GRIP2. I do find that the suggested pressures and damper settings err on the side of very aggressive riders. For non-rad riders like me, reducing pressure and clicks is needed (but again, it was very rideable with suggested settings, just would never come close to using full travel).

One weird trait of it is when pedaling it tends to ride at essentially full extension. I am guessing this is due to the small spring it uses for initial travel. But as soon as you weight it a bit, it tracks smoothly as expected.

Basic oil change doesn't look too bad, but the service manual I was given had a translation error which caused me to strip the foot stud hex fittings. SS replaced those under warranty and did the needed oil change for me for free. I'll try to do it again myself next time. The translation error was that it said to hold a nut with a 19mm crescent, then use a 4mm allen to turn the stud (air shaft / damper shaft), when it meant hold the stud with the allen and loosen the nut with the crescent.

My gut feeling is that at $2k it's overpriced, and that most people who are looking for a really well balanced fork would probably be able to get very close with like a '21 36 & Runt. But if you don't want to fuck around with a bunch of aftermarket mods, and just get something really good out of the box, it's the one. Oh, and it doesn't creak.
Nice, I'm hitting the one year mark on a Storia coil and it's still as good as day one. Makes some interesting noises, but is suuuper sensitive and gets the nod for best shock I've ever ridden.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What's with a lot of reviewers complaining about suspension noises? Honestly I've never paid attention to what the heck are my shock and fork doing, if they're performing the way I wanted them to.
I also don't give a shit, personally. I'll still note it though, because it feels like a reasonable effort at completeness. If you're the weirdo who cares, I think it's fair to note it. I'll also include something to the effect of "I bet most people won't care though" because I also think that's true.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I also don't give a shit, personally. I'll still note it though, because it feels like a reasonable effort at completeness. If you're the weirdo who cares, I think it's fair to note it. I'll also include something to the effect of "I bet most people won't care though" because I also think that's true.
This wasn't directed at you, my apologies if it felt like that. Your words just reminded me how some of the reviews in the "respected" bike sites list said noises as a downside of many high end suspension products. As you, I think those noises are just a byproduct of the suspension performing the way it should.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
More worn out rather than broken on wifes trail bike.
  • Had to fit a new main pivot and bushings to wife's Turner Burner this afternoon. We were both hoping to get new trail bikes this year, but with the complete lack of availability I need to keep them going until at least next year. That's almost the end of my spares, Turner just about still has some spares available - not bad for a nearly 9 year old bike. Thankfully it solved the bad creak she was getting.
  • Also new saddle as the old 7 year old one was torn.
  • New rear tyre as the side knobs were totally and utterly worn out on her Dissector (@Full Trucker she beats both of us by a mile)
  • 4 new pedal pins as the others had seemingly been sacrificed to the rock gods.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
More worn out rather than broken on wifes trail bike.
  • Had to fit a new main pivot and bushings to wife's Turner Burner this afternoon. We were both hoping to get new trail bikes this year, but with the complete lack of availability I need to keep them going until at least next year. That's almost the end of my spares, Turner just about still has some spares available - not bad for a nearly 9 year old bike. Thankfully it solved the bad creak she was getting.
  • Also new saddle as the old 7 year old one was torn.
  • New rear tyre as the side knobs were totally and utterly worn out on her Dissector (@Full Trucker she beats both of us by a mile)
  • 4 new pedal pins as the others had seemingly been sacrificed to the rock gods.
You can get the IGUS bushings direct from Igus.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You do know that droppers are for getting the saddle out of the way, not slamming into yer nether bits? Right?
Lmao...thats what they say....
Got my money's worth out of it...broke 1 side and kept rocking it....would be rocking it still till it pinched me today....was all "what the hell that stung" so took a look and realized it was finally done..

Dropper got kind of gummed up outside sealy guess is saddle allowing weight to side load instead of colum...put stress on it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Lmao...got on my son for not doing a stair gap at university the other day...told him he should have hucked the stairs and he said " no dad you don't understand, you couldn't do it either."
""OH HELL NO, I know you didn't just say that."

His mom is so proud I told her I am going to get Kai educated ...taking him to the college to get schooled...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Looks like a small dent. That's the kind of rim I keep riding :)
Yeaj it has lite stress arms from the point of crease...not worried about it considering the hit it took...my 729 has been rebent and has so many fatigue cracks from folded edges lol..still rocking it..it won't go tubeless anymore its tube only..

The 823 is solid as hell....its already got a few other regular dents and hops and still kicking @$$...