Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like <brand name> metal bars in the width, sweep, and rise that fits me, and the bore that fits my stem.
Yup same but with carbon, could only find one that was close to what I wanted, rolled forward a touch it gave me the magic 5back 5up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So I'm revalving the Super Deluxe. Got everything out, got the piston taken apart, got the piston put back together exactly how I want, start the bleeding process.

Process is to fill the damper body, then insert piston and screw together, then turn upside down and start working air bubbles out of the reservior through the IFP bleed screw. All fine, working good. Next stem is to top off the reservior and then open the shock body bleed screw and compress the shock to get fluid coming out so all the air is purged. Except, shock body bleed screw won't budge and strips out. It looked like a torx and I was using a torq like the other fittings used, but for some reason it just straight up stripped and no amount of jamming stuff in there would get it to turn.

So a new F-ing damper body later...found what I think will work, it's supposedly a 65mm plus a 5mm spacer if I want to take it down to 60mm for some reason (like for a GG Smash).

I could easy-out the screw and probably use one from my old monarch, but I'm not that desperate.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Lent my 276 Pitch to the 12yr old son of a friend 10 days ago. Yesterday my friend called and told me he has to show me something...

PXL_20210630_161305523.jpg

That's a Crossmax SX rear wheel. There was a 160 mm rotor attached to it and a BR-M785 XT has been doing stopping duties.
I rode this bike and the wheel a LOT. Mostly with a Tout Terrain single trailer in the last couple of years. I think I'm weighing like 25 kg more than the boy plus 12 kg for the trailer and ~12 kg for either of my kids that sat in there.

I have no funking idea how he has done this. He is not overly fast nor jumping as big as jumps as I do and allegedly didn't even crash when the destruction hit.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Lent my 276 Pitch to the 12yr old son of a friend 10 days ago. Yesterday my friend called and told me he has to show me something...

View attachment 161783

That's a Crossmax SX rear wheel. There was a 160 mm rotor attached to it and a BR-M785 XT eas doing stopping duties.
I rode this bike and the wheel a LOT. Mostly with a Tout Terrain single trailer in the last couple of years. I think I'm weighing like 25 kg more than the boy plus 12 kg for the trailer and ~12 kg for either of my kids that sat in there.

I have no funking idea how he has done this. He is not overly fast nor jumping as big as jumps as I do and allegedly didn't even crash when the destruction hit.
Mavic hubs have a self destruction mode embedded in them. It's just not thoroughly documented. A change in ownership usually triggers it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

View attachment 161783

That's a Crossmax SX rear wheel. There was a 160 mm rotor attached to it and a BR-M785 XT eas doing stopping duties.

Maybe a stick or stone got stuck in the disc and stopping it dead when hitting the frame? I had this once, frame got a scratch, hub was fine but rotor taco'd.
Alternatively, he must have landed with the rear brake fully locked up.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

View attachment 161783

I had 2 rotor holes pop on a deemax hub back in the day...less than half material was gone so I red loctited the 2 bolts in what was left of rotor and rest blue...rode it that way for a long time...

Didn't do anything to cause mine that I was aware and bolts were tight...possibly pre me guy let em get loose....

So yeah they do that....or used too...

Glad it wasn't bad as in injury ......

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Maybe a stick or stone got stuck in the disc and stopping it dead when hitting the frame? I had this once, frame got a scratch, hub was fine but rotor taco'd.
Alternatively, he must have landed with the rear brake fully locked up.
Yeah, this thought came to my mind as well. Will have to check the frame for hints of it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
IME, brake rotor bolts can and do loosen up and need to be occasionally checked.
Maybe, but I checked em before handing out the bike with my torque wrench. I'm anal on my uggaduggas when giving things to other people.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I rode this bike and the wheel a LOT.

I had an old Hope hub split at a couple of the disc bolt threads due to corrosion and metal fatigue.
Was your hub quite old aswell?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Me personally. No.

but I think the guy on the other end of my warranty claim phone call might ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So I'm revalving the Super Deluxe. Got everything out, got the piston taken apart, got the piston put back together exactly how I want, start the bleeding process.

Process is to fill the damper body, then insert piston and screw together, then turn upside down and start working air bubbles out of the reservior through the IFP bleed screw. All fine, working good. Next stem is to top off the reservior and then open the shock body bleed screw and compress the shock to get fluid coming out so all the air is purged. Except, shock body bleed screw won't budge and strips out. It looked like a torx and I was using a torq like the other fittings used, but for some reason it just straight up stripped and no amount of jamming stuff in there would get it to turn.

So a new F-ing damper body later...found what I think will work, it's supposedly a 65mm plus a 5mm spacer if I want to take it down to 60mm for some reason (like for a GG Smash).

I could easy-out the screw and probably use one from my old monarch, but I'm not that desperate.
Ok, got new damper body and got it bled. Much faster on compression/rebound. This is good.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Busted-ass wheel repaired. New derailleur installed. Goddam the bike shifts like a dream... on the stand. :homer:

Guess I should take it out and get it muddy.
You should give S and I a tour of Deer Creek at some point as we've never ridden it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My seatstay. Just a bit of de-lam on the corner.

Will be testing my crabon repair method this weekend and hopefully a full repair next week.
PXL_20210702_171518954.jpg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Props to @rideit for finding a derailleur for me, props to Giant of Centennial for making me the *4* fucking different lengths of spokes required for my wheels, and props to Pedal of Littleton, who turned around my wheel (tension and true) in 24 hours.

Bike hasn't shifted this nicely in... I dunno when.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
had a slow leak on my rear wheel. didn't really pay attention to it for a couple weeks since I couldn't really ride. The tire was done, so I went to change it today... noticed a dent in the rim, deep enough that it extended to the rim bed. I was able to pull it out with vice-grips, but there's a burr on the bead now that feels sharp enough to cut a tire. :think: I think my rim might be toast. that would be the second Chromag rim in 4 months of riding, and this despite running an insert (and staying with similar pressure as before inserts). I have one more Chromag rim left, but when that one dies, I may be switching back to Stans Flows. Maybe the Mk 4?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nailed it!!!!

Forgot how bad rolling a toe under a pedal impact feels...lmao...man it has a blunt pain when it happens....
2 times before 1 was at a DH race on course and time before was brundige we were getting after it in the rocks and happened so fast it broke big toe but kept pace through rocks...
Kept shoe on kept riding as soon as I stopped for day and took shoe off it plumped up and shoe had to stay off...

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Nailed it!!!!

Forgot how bad rolling a toe under a pedal impact feels...lmao...man it has a blunt pain when it happens....
2 times before 1 was at a DH race on course and time before was brundige we were getting after it in the rocks and happened so fast it broke big toe but kept pace through rocks...
Kept shoe on kept riding as soon as I stopped for day and took shoe off it plumped up and shoe had to stay off...
yo you're in socal, right? ever run into my buddy tim schramm? big dude, used to ride a bunch a few years back before he effed himself up skiing. i think he's in the orange county area...