Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yo you're in socal, right? ever run into my buddy tim schramm? big dude, used to ride a bunch a few years back before he effed himself up skiing. i think he's in the orange county area...
Possibly...we have rode all over and tons of different guys...some really good people and super cool riders...I can say if I did he had to be cool cause I have yet to meet anyone that's been an ass on the trail...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Crash. Going down some fast double track, pulled the brakes before a corner and they weren't bed in enough to do shit at that speed. Lost front wheel traction and supermanned.
How'd the X-rays go? Broken bones?

In the last few years I've done one finger bad enough to need surgery and plating plus three metacarpals. Crunchy hands suck.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
How'd the X-rays go? Broken bones?

In the last few years I've done one finger bad enough to need surgery and plating plus three metacarpals. Crunchy hands suck.
“There is widening of space between the proximal third and fourth metacarpals. There is medial dislocation of the base of the fifth metacarpal. There is medial subluxation of the fourth metacarpal base at its articulation with the hamate. There is a small chip fracture involving the distal-medial hamate. There is an additional bone fragment along the medial base of the third metacarpal.”

One metacarpal wont go back into place, they're saying pins.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
“There is widening of space between the proximal third and fourth metacarpals. There is medial dislocation of the base of the fifth metacarpal. There is medial subluxation of the fourth metacarpal base at its articulation with the hamate. There is a small chip fracture involving the distal-medial hamate. There is an additional bone fragment along the medial base of the third metacarpal.”

oh dude!!! best from slc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

BFH

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
15.something % of my wage, half paid by me, half by my employer + some aditional 1.something % paid only by me, depending in which insurance company i’m enlisted in
Similar-ish to what I remember paying in CZ. I am too lazy to go deep into numbers but that looks fairly aligned with the old "cadillac" plans here in Mass. that were expensive but with great coverage and little copays, maybe even a bit cheaper than yours, I don't remember that well. We're now on "health savings accounts" plans that are way cheaper (fraction of your monthly payments), but come with those large out of pocket payments for care. These plans can leave a lot of cash in your savings account for future expenses when you don't need all the care that year. When you do, the final annual expense is about the same, you just have to cough up the cash upfront.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Similar-ish to what I remember paying in CZ. I am too lazy to go deep into numbers but that looks fairly aligned with the old "cadillac" plans here in Mass. that were expensive but with great coverage and little copays, maybe even a bit cheaper than yours, I don't remember that well. We're now on "health savings accounts" plans that are way cheaper (fraction of your monthly payments), but come with those large out of pocket payments for care. These plans can leave a lot of cash in your savings account for future expenses when you don't need all the care that year. When you do, the final annual expense is about the same, you just have to cough up the cash upfront.
I am an agent and I moved my family into an HSA plan for the first time this year also. It made sense for us for the tax benefits. Being self employed, I can drop $7k a year into an HSA that is tax free in and out, which helps as that amount comes off the top of the taxes I will owe that year. Medical costs sucks no matter how you go about it though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Get better man...yeah crappy how different ins copays and coverage is...
Get better and thoughts are with you from socal man....

Better to have it though......
We are lucky , wife's a RN at the UC so our coverage is incredible and because it's group we can't be cancelled...trust.me my damages would have got us cancelled already lol...they love me and unfortunately know me by name...

Insurance can be great when you need it....

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
How is this possible?
Brake dyno?
But I think what he meant was that you should pedal around the neighborhood whacking the brakes.... then find a paved hill or something to finish the bedding.

We're these sram brakes?
Organic compound?
If so they were probably at full power its just that they don't do anything

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It's not that broken but it's significantly more broken than I'd like it to be..

So recently I swapped my ex511 30mm internal rims for HX581 35mm internal rims..

Got 3 or 4 runs on my nearest dh worthy trail.
Then came to mammoth and instantly dinged my rim running too low pressure around 24 (normally I run 29). I was mad at myself for being in a rush and not checking my shit. I switched to dh bike from trail bike late in the day so I was scrambling to get a few runs with the dh bike.
20210716_020217.jpg

@30psi....
I gave Mr dent 3 more friends :(
I was JRA.....
Riding by myself and getting reacquainted with the trails not getting crazy
20210716_020229.jpg

20210716_020150.jpg
20210716_020146.jpg

Strangely they are all on the left side...
I thought these would be strong enough as a 511 is up to the task. This has the same wall and bead thickness as a 511 but a thicker spoke bed. I don't think I'd have dented the 511 like this. 2.5mm a side seems to make quite a difference to many things.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Brake dyno?
But I think what he meant was that you should pedal around the neighborhood whacking the brakes.... then find a paved hill or something to finish the bedding.
Bingo. I hadn't fully bed them in.

We're these sram brakes?
Organic compound?
If so they were probably at full power its just that they don't do anything
Yeah, Code R with whatever the stock compound is. Was going to swap them for my Maguras, but was just impatient to try out the new bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I didn't break it, but God damn I am almost certain the bushings are shot on my fork. Over repeated hits where the fork is out at full extension, it feels like it's just flapping around or my wheel is loose.

Inspires zero confidence.

Offered some dude on pinkbike $1000 to go pick up his Zeb Ultimate tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Maybe I should look up the retail on those first, lol.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I didn't break it, but God damn I am almost certain the bushings are shot on my fork. Over repeated hits where the fork is out at full extension, it feels like it's just flapping around or my wheel is loose.

Inspires zero confidence.

Offered some dude on pinkbike $1000 to go pick up his Zeb Ultimate tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Maybe I should look up the retail on those first, lol.

But, yeah, Canada and EBay don’t always play nice.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

But, yeah, Canada and EBay don’t always play nice.
Yeah that one would be almost $1300 after currency conversion, plus a $135usd or something customs/tax/shipping charge.

Still looking.

This guy came back saying $1200 is the lowest. Still much less than the $1500 the Zeb Ultimate retails for (plus 15% tax).

But I could get it tomorrow...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Found a new one on ebay from a bike shop in New Brunswick for $1400. Probably buy this one..

Questionable how there's no tax on that price, on ebay. Yet if I go on the shops website, the fork is the same price, but you'll get added $200 in tax.

Haven't used ebay in like a decade. Ever run into that kind of thing @rideit ? Could they slap more charges on after I've paid the purchase it now price?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just out of curiosity, how much is your monthly health insurance payment?
Nothing, I think the government takes ~$350 a year from me and I don't have private insurance.
X-Rays, stitches and ultrasounds have been zero cost but I had to chip in ~$300 for a MRI scan and about the same for full body bone/fleshy bits scans. A tick bite put me in hospital for four days and that was also zero cost to me, Australians don't realise how good we have it.