Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Blew out a seal/wiper on a pretty freshly rebuilt MRP Ribbon doing a pretty spicy drop. Thought I had a spare seal in the bong shed, dropped lowers, removed shit seal and was about to ugga dugga the new seal in when I noticed the word "Fox" on it in the smallest text possible. That could've been epic.

Also flat spotted a rear rim when I shorted a large-ish jump so badly the SCOTUS heard my case. Wheel still holds air, but that rim needs to be made into a noise hoop for the Snowshoe WC race.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Pisgah (not that Pisgah) in Northboro/Berlin. I’m pretty sure that’s the trail he’s on. Not a bad spot. That trail is a blast.
Nope, part of the Midstate. That's the climb because the downhill the other way is better. There's some seriously epic stuff along it and extending to the Wapack. It's good because it's not NEMBA/IMBA, it's natural, and it hurts in a good way. I've only ever run into one other biker riding on it. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

#BiggerMountainsRideBetter #MakeMountainBikingScaryAgain

PicsArt_04-15-08.38.21.jpg

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
In all seriousness....where's that? I'd be down to ride it.
If you're interested I hit the place between 6-6:30am on weekends to help with kiddos and limit hiker/biker interactions, although all the hikers in the area are pretty stoked when they see bikes on the trail. Definitely a different attitude and culture than in the city. No riding there this weekend. Looks like one last snowfall in central/western MA....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
After a few years of not having a crankarm getting wallowed out and falling off, had a RF aeffect that i pulled from a parts bin give up the farm after i spent too much time smashing my chainguide into a fallen tree for fun and glory. I guess OE takeoff parts get taken off for a reason.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
After a few years of not having a crankarm getting wallowed out and falling off, had a RF aeffect that i pulled from a parts bin give up the farm after i spent too much time smashing my chainguide into a fallen tree for fun and glory. I guess OE takeoff parts get taken off for a reason.
In a similar vein I just pulled a used tyre out of my pile to be a spare if needed on a weekend trip. Not sure why it was in the pile when the tread looks fine...

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
Burgtec dh, less than a year old.
Disclosure: I can’t guarantee I didn’t over tighten. I use a torque wrench 90% of time.
These were my first and last carbon bars . Never snapped any other bar before.

we had a plumber doing some work in our house and he binned one side of the bars so I can’t send them back to warranty/for burgtec to check

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Burgtec dh, less than a year old.
Disclosure: I can’t guarantee I didn’t over tighten. I use a torque wrench 90% of time.
These were my first and last carbon bars . Never snapped any other bar before.

we had a plumber doing some work in our house and he binned one side of the bars so I can’t send them back to warranty/for burgtec to check
Username checks out.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
If you're interested I hit the place between 6-6:30am on weekends to help with kiddos and limit hiker/biker interactions, although all the hikers in the area are pretty stoked when they see bikes on the trail. Definitely a different attitude and culture than in the city. No riding there this weekend. Looks like one last snowfall in central/western MA....
Might have to take you up on that.

Though there's some good chuck out my back door...

IMG_20210403_153657913_resize_58.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Tore my shorts a serious vent hole in the crotch today. Initial tear on a manual, that became massive on a bunny hop :)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I like the looks of that. I'd be down too. Consider it a WPI reunion tour.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pretty much everything on my trail bike is making horrible noises. But not oiling the chain before my ride today was definitely a mistake.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looking at my broken stem a little closer it is obvious the steerer interface was milled via circular interpolation instead of bored/reamed. By the contact marks it looks like it wasn't very circular and it was bending a fair bit where the clamp bolt was, which probably caused a stress riser. I am guessing one of the machine axis had a fair bit of backlash.
PXL_20210419_170943235.jpg

Backlash negative.jpg

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
WTB I-25 rim and a few DT comp spokes was the last thing I trashed.
That taco was not very tasty. Would prefer not to bang again.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Looking at my broken stem a little closer it is obvious the steerer interface was milled via circular interpolation instead of bored/reamed. By the contact marks it looks like it wasn't very circular and it was bending a fair bit where the clamp bolt was, which probably caused a stress riser. I am guessing one of the machine axis had a fair bit of backlash. View attachment 159262

View attachment 159263
This is a scary break....

stems and bars are not good for failure...I've bent bars before but not snapped "knock on wood"...And can't even imagine having a stem snap....ive cracked a thomson years ago but it was a crack not a chunk.....it was on face of it....

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
In fairness, I don't even recall where I got this thing and there was a decent scrape in the face plate prior to the actual failure. But the steerer tube clamping mechanism failed in a similar way as well...

PXL_20210326_213536239.jpg