Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
*not* my foot. Clipped a stump hard enough to send me fully OTB two days ago, and my foot is fucked up enough that I'm still limping a bit, but got xrays this morning and nothing broke. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

In the last month or two:
  • Crank arm
  • Fork CSU (creakage, not full explosion)
  • Couple tires
  • A rim

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
*not* my foot. Clipped a stump hard enough to send me fully OTB two days ago, and my foot is fucked up enough that I'm still limping a bit, but got xrays this morning and nothing broke. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

• Crank arm
  • Couple tires
  • A rim
What fork?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

• Crank arm
  • Couple tires
  • A rim
Damn you got me beat...im glad your OK...glad foot checks out and clean bill of health!!!!! Those can get nasty...

I tell the wife anything on my bike from under my ass back is sacrificial and will eventually fall victim to rock gods and gravity...Usually doesn't end up to ungodly painfully sometimes it has banjo music and a hint of deliverance....

When it happens in front there's usually a trip to get scans and xray so try and avoid anything besides a taco front wheel...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What fork?
Mezzer. But it had a ton of time on it, and I'm pretty sure I've made literally every single crown in the last like... 5 years that I spent more than a season on creak. This one held out a long time, and was from an early production run. Manitou was great about taking care of it, and say that they've made some tweaks to reduce the liklihood on newer forks.

It's an awesome fork. I'm still a huge fan, even if I eventually hammered it into creakage.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Clipping a pedal has been responsible for more months off the bike, P&S, and more deductible payments than I care to admit.
Pretty sure 90% of my really bad/painful crashes have come from clipping pedals or crank arms.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pretty sure 90% of my really bad/painful crashes have come from clipping pedals or crank arms.
This one was the hardest I've crashed in a long time. It's a sequence of left-right-left corners, with the first two medium radius and pretty flat, and the last tighter, but semi-bermed. You can carry a ton of speed into it, and if you do it right, drift the first one, swing the back around through the second, and then slap the shit out of the third on the exit. It was looser than I expected, and ran wider through the first than I meant to. Didn't bring the back of the bike around in time to get into the groove on the right hander, and smashed my right foot on a stump on the inside. Instant OTB, still clipped in with my left foot, and went straight into a tree on the outside of the third corner, with my right forearm and shoulder.

:stosh:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is that the Turner?
Yep.

my ACS3 is pretty over sprung. I decided to flat drop, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary and i didn’t come down hard. I didn’t notice anything in this area of the frame before though. I’m hoping I can keep it holding up for this vacation.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nothing, it’s delaminating and breaking with no apparent impact.
Wow....dont know if thats an issue with carbon being I've been out for so long but man thats not cool....(is it a thing with carbon?).

Just zoomed in looks like a loaded spot for twist that flexes too much there

Based on chunks above missing and they look to have popped off which would suggest a stress riser and and relief...

I say just keep an eye on it if you decide to ride it...a collapsed rear could get not so fun...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow....dont know if thats an issue with carbon being I've been out for so long but man thats not cool....(is it a thing with carbon?).

Just zoomed in looks like a loaded spot for twist that flexes too much there

Based on chunks above missing and they look to have popped off which would suggest a stress riser and and relief...

I say just keep an eye on it if you decide to ride it...a collapsed rear could get not so fun...
The section above includes a frame member I rebuilt when I accidentally jammed a rake in there and snapped it. That member is solid. I overbuilt it. This could be from a bottoming event or possibly damage from the rake that wasn’t apparent (although that was a while back now).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The section above includes a frame member I rebuilt when I accidentally jammed a rake in there and snapped it. That member is solid. I overbuilt it. This could be from a bottoming event or possibly damage from the rake that wasn’t apparent (although that was a while back now).
The repair could have made the seatstay stiffer causing the other parts of the triangle to see higher forces.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
There you have it. The overbuilt seatstay drove part of the load to the vertical member of the rear triangle. It caused the carbon to split open. The seatstay probably flexed a bit more before the rake incident, and helped to dissipate the loads from the rear axle.

EDIT: Sniped by @Westy

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
There you have it. The overbuilt seatstay drove part of the load to the vertical member of the rear triangle. It caused the carbon to split open. The seatstay probably flexed a bit more before the rake incident, and helped to dissipate the loads from the rear axle.

That's a belabored way of saying the sun's rays are more intense in Alaska.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Maybe. I can think of some other possible contributors.

who is selling a mega trail frame?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Repairing it would work for a bit till deflection of stress is seen elsewhere...would probably work for a while can't imagine it wouldn't work...atleast it took its time or maybe you noticed it right away lol...

Lol nevermind...looked at that pic again and even i would be nervous bashing on it....
Too much wrong can happen there in all those noodley sections...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Repairing it would work for a bit till deflection of stress is seen elsewhere...would probably work for a while can't imagine it wouldn't work...atleast it took its time or maybe you noticed it right away lol...

Lol nevermind...looked at that pic again and even i would be nervous bashing on it....
Too much wrong can happen there in all those noodley sections...
Noodly section is mostly for lateral forces I would assume, but there are two vertical noodles so if cracking continues, I would think that even a big failure won’t mean the rear end will just fall off the bike. Probably shouldn’t do anymore drops to flat tho. I hope it holds up enough to repair when I get back, which if it doesn’t totally collapse I should be able to. Already had some friends offering a backup ride. Sanded down the epoxy and wrapped it with gorilla tape. Because gorilla tape.
FA8ED78B-7EE6-4AFF-A6AC-BD497E001EA5.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

GG is

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I hate HATE pedal strikes. Broke a wrist on In Deep in Whistler years ago with one of those, cracked my other wrist in Downieville a couple years later with another one, and have had too many more before, in between, and after. Just friggin' went OTB last weekend doing it (luckily came out with just a couple surface wounds).

The worst part is that they are unexpected so you're not usually prepared for impact.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I hate HATE pedal strikes. Broke a wrist on In Deep in Whistler years ago with one of those, cracked my other wrist in Downieville a couple years later with another one, and have had too many more before, in between, and after. Just friggin' went OTB last weekend doing it (luckily came out with just a couple surface wounds).

The worst part is that they are unexpected so you're not usually prepared for impact.
Cane Creek has some nice ti 165 eewings in stock for you.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Spokes, I currently have broken spokes in the front and rear wheels of my trail bike and the rear of the downhill bike.
Dh bike also needs new rims, tail bike is running a set of Derby carbon runs from 2014 that I still haven't killed, spokes only tend to lay two season before they start popping so time do do full rebuilds on them.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Spokes, I currently have broken spokes in the front and rear wheels of my trail bike and the rear of the downhill bike.
Dh bike also needs new rims, tail bike is running a set of Derby carbon runs from 2014 that I still haven't killed, spokes only tend to lay two season before they start popping so time do do full rebuilds on them.
What spokes you running