Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
just checked, you‘d need a SW-EM800L + EW-AD305 adapter to connect to your EW-SD50 system
Yeah, thanks for that info! It really comes down to that motor controller. So switching it to the EM800L would make a left hand dropper lever (under the bar) possible.

The right side has AXS shifter. Nothing else will fit under the bar with that bad boy. It's just that big. But it is awesome!

Scott Genius Left Hand.jpg

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
WTF, does that thing have a backhoe attached?

View attachment 179339
HAHA I know right?

The TwinLoc is pretty cool. And to be fair, Scott spec'd the bike and all it's handlebar gadgetry as good as they could at the time (I think it's a 2019?). The problem occurs when you want/need to change something (Or break something) that's when it goes all pear shaped. Then good luck with all the tiny ass torx screws and proprietary Scott parts.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Cog wheel on mrp g3 chain guide ...broke in half..so not much first time usually I tear the back of it off...
Man, that reminds me of how in the late 90s/early 00's every DH track was littered with little orange MRP wheels that would fall off their OG chain devices.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I'm there with you (different choice of rims), but same for the rest. I've been trying inserts off and on for the last year or so, and am so fucking over warped casings and all the rest of the issues. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was putting inserts in a couple weeks ago for a trip to Northstar. When I took them out, I found this in both tires:
View attachment 178584
View attachment 178585
Fresh Orange Seal Endurance in both tires when mounted. DH rear / DD front casings that were clean inside. I never get Stanimals like this without inserts.
Sounds like a job for Der Panzer!

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I broke 2 more spokes on the drive side of my rear wheel. That brings the count to at least 6 on this wheel, all on the same side. I was talking to my mechanic friend, and we both think it's because Fanatik laced it 3x/2x. We're going to relace it to 3x/3x because I'm not especially fat or shreddy. I shouldn't be able to break spokes that consistently.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I broke 2 more spokes on the drive side of my rear wheel. That brings the count to at least 6 on this wheel, all on the same side. I was talking to my mechanic friend, and we both think it's because Fanatik laced it 3x/2x. We're going to relace it to 3x/3x because I'm not especially fat or shreddy. I shouldn't be able to break spokes that consistently.
Where do the spokes break?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I had a Hope wheel a few years ago that broke every counter-clockwise spoke on the left hand side at the J-bend. I replaced them as they broke and once they were all replaced it never happened again. I always wondered whether it was crappy original spokes, some issue with the lacing or a manufacturing issue with that hub. It was only the left hand side and only the one direction.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I had a Hope wheel a few years ago that broke every counter-clockwise spoke on the left hand side at the J-bend. I replaced them as they broke and once they were all replaced it never happened again. I always wondered whether it was crappy original spokes, some issue with the lacing or a manufacturing issue with that hub. It was only the left hand side and only the one direction.
My theory: the builder overtightened the spokes to center the wheel and released tension when it was realized. But the damage to the spokes was already done.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Comments said they were renthal aluminiumium
Looks like it.

I've never even seen al bars break like this. At clamps, yes but not like that. That's a fucking disgrace, renthal.

I'm just really glad that sharp bit isn't what hit him in the chest.

I've probably seen more renthal carbon bars break than anything else current (not counting eastons 10+ years old), but those fuckin losers can't even make aluminum bars?

Looks like it.

I've never even seen al bars break like this. At clamps, yes but not like that. That's a fucking disgrace, renthal.

I've probably seen more renthal carbon bars break than anything else current (not counting eastons 10+ years old), but those fuckin losers can't even make aluminum bars?
Kind of interesting, because I always use aluminum bars and never think about their age or inspect them...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I rotate them out on my dh bike about every 2-3 years.
Yeah every couple years for alloy bars. Technically carbon bars should be more fatigue resistant than alloy ones, but I'd replace those sooner. Like immediately. And install alloy options.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like it.

See my broken Renthal stem from earlier in this thread that failed because of bad process planning, a worn out machine and bad quality control, that behavior is usually endemic in a company.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
God damn it, I like their aluminum bars, mostly because the 7/5 backsweep makes my wrists happy and they come in a lot of rise options. Now I'm skeered.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If this is what it took for you to realize renthal makes shit bike components, I'm worried about more than just your bars.
Their stems are bad. I'd hoped that a company that's as well known for making aluminum moto bars could figure out an MTB one.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Their stems are bad. I'd hoped that a company that's as well known for making aluminum moto bars could figure out an MTB one.
You ever check out the wall thickness on moto bars?

You really can't fuck that up, even if you try. Even beautiful bubbly monarchy-driven casting voids couldn't demean that standard.

Although if anyone were to do it, it would be renthal.

Renthal is like the intense or ibis of the moto world. Pretty colors, fancy ideas, too much money, and a quick realization that pretty colors and marketing is where all their investment went.