Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The wear is from the stiff ass carbon wheels flexing into the frame under cornering- that’s the inside of the chainstay, only thing that could have punctured it something sticking into the mud that my bike has been coated in for the majority of the last month.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The wear is from the stiff ass carbon wheels flexing into the frame
That makes no sense.

If they are stiff, then they wouldn't be flexing into the frame.

On my old Spec Enduro 29er, the stock alloy wheels flexed into the frame like crazy. Tightening the **** out of all the spokes, above spec, helped, but didn't eliminate the problem. When I built my own CF rim wheels for the bike, that did stop the issue, at least on that bike. Giant 29er wagon wheels flex quite a bit. If they are doing dumbass stuff like 28 spokes, there's your sign.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yeah,
straight-pull 28h Bontrager Line Pros are flexy and underbuilt- even after retensioning a couple of times they still load and and flex into the frame.
Been trying to get some 32h metal wheels going, but I didn’t get them on in time.

I have a buddy who is CT scanning the swingarm so we can get proper geeky on the failure.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
That is odd, especially since Trek (like Yeti, Evil, Spesh, Transition & Norco) has a reputation for carbon frames that are practically indestructible.

But for serious, that sucks and I hope Trek will hook you up with a quick warranty turn around. Also post back up when your friend in CT is done with scan.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Or the not-so-stiff-swingarm twists into the wheel.
I get the impression all the extra carbon on the gen 6 EX is all in the front triangles. Carbon treks have been breaking at the chainstays as long as I can remember. Hoping I can get the aluminum swingarm as a replacement so that way I can maybe get 3 or 4 months out of it!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah,
straight-pull 28h Bontrager Line Pros are flexy and underbuilt- even after retensioning a couple of times they still load and and flex into the frame.
Been trying to get some 32h metal wheels going, but I didn’t get them on in time.

I have a buddy who is CT scanning the swingarm so we can get proper geeky on the failure.
Metal wheels will flex more. I'd do 32 spoke CF wheels. 35mm or so...They typically don't recommend straight gauge with CF, as DB tend to give a little more, but that may be an additional thing to consider. At the very least, don't go for the thinnest stretchiest spokes like lasers or revolutions. 2.0/1.8/2.0 would be my min butting recommendation. The more difference between butting, the more stretchy.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That is odd, especially since Trek (like Yeti, Evil, Spesh, Transition & Norco) has a reputation for carbon frames that are practically indestructible.

But for serious, that sucks and I hope Trek will hook you up with a quick warranty turn around. Also post back up when your friend in CT is done with scan.

Trek also has a long history of aluminum frames that broke.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The wear is from the stiff ass carbon wheels flexing into the frame under cornering- that’s the inside of the chainstay, only thing that could have punctured it something sticking into the mud that my bike has been coated in for the majority of the last month.
If the tire is rubbing a rock stuck in the knobs could have impacted there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Trek also has a long history of aluminum frames that broke.
Trek also bought Gary Fisher, which I'm fairly certain never made an FS frame that didn't crack. It wasn't that all bikes cracked back then...just ones like Gary Fisher.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Trek also bought Gary Fisher, which I'm fairly certain never made an FS frame that didn't crack. It wasn't that all bikes cracked back then...just ones like Gary Fisher.
I think it was the first 29" Fuel that every size large would break within a few rides. I can only imagine they got the butting wrong.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My brother has a Sugar that is uncracked, it was rad, it had the same amount of suspension travel side to side as it did up and down.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Didn't TREK also purchase Klein?
I remember a Klein snapping in two behind me from a 2ft drop on an XC group night ride. The he bike's first (and last) ride.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Didn't TREK also purchase Klein?
I remember a Klein snapping in two behind me from a 2ft drop on an XC group night ride. The he bike's first (and last) ride.
Yep, Trek did acquire Klein back in the mid-90s - which made for the snappy trifecta of Trek, GF and Klein. I had a Sugar(s) back in the day, and felt like a boss because I broke 3 of them...then I realized they could break just sitting outside during a modest change in temperature. Roommate had an OG Trek Fuel that broke several times, so we got to know the local Trek LBS quite well. I did have a Klein Attitude for awhile that fortunately did not explode, so I count myself lucky in that regard.

All that said, I did have a boner for a Trek Session 10 for a minute.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Looks like something gouged it.
Yep classic impact damage, looks to be on the inside of the chainstay (drive side) a stone's gone in and then a knob on the tyre's caught it and dragged it the rest of the way thru which is what removed the gel coat in that line.
Nothing to do with the carbon layup.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wonder how far he was off killing the rotor too?

Probably would have held together if he used Gorillla Tape instead of Stan's.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Kinda curious what the circumstances were on that.
Shit happens and all, but that is potentially life changing shit.

Factory built vs. YouTube built, etc…

This can obviously happen to any rim/wheel, but you don’t see it THAT often. Musta been quite the “off”.

#gutted

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kinda curious what the circumstances were on that.
Shit happens and all, but that is potentially life changing shit.

Factory built vs. YouTube built, etc…

This can obviously happen to any rim/wheel, but you don’t see it THAT often. Musta been quite the “off”.

#gutted
Probably just needs less psi.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Cracked the rocker link on my Vitus Sommet yesterday. Went a little deep on a natural drop and heard a snap. Couldn’t find anything yesterday, rode it out and it was fine. Did a couple decent size rollers with pretty good G outs and all seemed good. Took a good look at it today and found the crack. It’s under warranty, so we’ll see what they say. I’m having a hard time not just ordering a Propain Tyee frame in the meantime. 25% off, I like the geo numbers and sexy AF. Everything would swap right over too. It’s probably the right thing to do.
01AA094F-7704-42D3-9D96-A7083FF5C5C5.jpeg
F2EC7421-BFD3-4E9D-A047-5F39526DE419.jpeg

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I’m having a hard time not just ordering a Propain Tyee frame in the meantime. 25% off, I like the geo numbers and sexy AF. Everything would swap right over too. It’s probably the right thing to do.
Could you all fucking stop talking about the 25% discount on Propain!! I'm trying to resists getting a Tyee too but it gets harder every day. Good thing I don't need it at all for now.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Could you all fucking stop talking about the 25% discount on Propain!! I'm trying to resists getting a Tyee too but it gets harder every day. Good thing I don't need it at all for now.
Man that discount is so damn good. And a Tyee - now there's a bike you'd love to ride. Plus how good is unboxing a brand new shiny steed? Even better at 25% off.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Man that discount is so damn good. And a Tyee - now there's a bike you'd love to ride. Plus how good is unboxing a brand new shiny steed? Even better at 25% off.
You get a Rockshox Super Deluxe Uber Ultimate Bro RCT Air for a nice 25% off as well.

I'm 75% sure that I'd take the 25% deal and go with the raw carbon in my size, if they had.

What a looker.
1672761286915.png

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Just an FYI on the Tyee sale. From the chat on their site.

The sale on complete bikes will end today around 3pm PST, frames will be on sale until the end of the week

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Alu nipples?
If so add corrosion to Bucko's list especially with Big Boi forces at play.
Too short spokes can also cause the nipple to break