Quantcast

What have you broken on your bike recently?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:brow:

A few teeth on the drive ring in the hub are rounded off, lovely.

It probably wouldn't be smart to replace the pawls and ride it like that, eh?

I'm also guessing that the drive ring can't be replaced without some serious fuckery?

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee

I'm also guessing that the drive ring can't be replaced without some serious fuckery?
Some drive rings can be replaced. Looks like a Hope, give them a shout.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I generally don't use sealant in tubes.

Took off tire and tube, inspected, inflated tube, no obvious leaks, put it back together, we'll see what it's doing tomorrow.
I don't run tubes in most of my setups but whenever I get a puncture in one, I pump some stans into the hole and patch it. Stans in a tube is pretty bombproof and doesn't dry out like it does in tubeless setups, unless it is in fact sealing a lot of punctures. But sounds like may have had a leaky valve stem.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Why doesn't it have lipped seal?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why doesn't it have lipped seal?
That green thing has a lip and pops into a groove on the hub shell - tight enough that I can't do it by hand.

But yeah, not sealed enough evidently. The previous failure was from one of the bearings in the shell turning into dust.

I suspect the seal is not tight nor has any lip around the freehub body.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That green thing has a lip and pops into a groove on the hub shell - tight enough that I can't do it by hand.

But yeah, not sealed enough evidently. The previous failure was from one of the bearings in the shell turning into dust.

I suspect the seal is not tight nor has any lip around the freehub body.
That stupid 17287 bearing in those Hope freehubs has let go on me a few times now and the result is gnarly for the pawls and the freehub body. I've had better luck since fucking off the Hope/Enduro junk bearing and putting a better quality bearing in though.

Next time that wheel needs a rebuild I might just ditch the thing and try one of the Nukeproof Horizon wheels or something. Tired of the hassle with that freehub.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
NP hubs are from Novatec and their rims are fairly cheap but perfectly adequate and decent enough value.
Their bearings probably do last longer than Hope IME

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That stupid 17287 bearing in those Hope freehubs has let go on me a few times now and the result is gnarly for the pawls and the freehub body. I've had better luck since fucking off the Hope/Enduro junk bearing and putting a better quality bearing in though.

Next time that wheel needs a rebuild I might just ditch the thing and try one of the Nukeproof Horizon wheels or something. Tired of the hassle with that freehub.
I haven't had one of the bearing in the freehub go, but yeah it wreaks havoc. No good!

I replaced the bearings from some shady looking wearhouse here, no bearing issues since. :D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
dammit now i feel like i need to pull my hope rear hub off and inspect. i've had zero problems with my hope hubs...ever. and i don't really service/baby my bike other than the drivetrain and an occasional fork seal swap/oil replenish.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
dammit now i feel like i need to pull my hope rear hub off and inspect. i've had zero problems with my hope hubs...ever. and i don't really service/baby my bike other than the drivetrain and an occasional fork seal swap/oil replenish.

Ya, I need to pull the one on the DH bike apart. It has not been looked at since a year or so before Covid. Not too many hours on it since I was last into it but enough in a sandy enviornment that I really should check it out before Thunder in the spring. At the same time spoke tension should also be on the list. That would not be the best time for an old 26er to shit the bed.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I should have put my glasses on when I made the initial assessment. :D

Theres no way this thing could be limped through more hilly riding...
not trying to be smug, but this is why I moved away from pawl-based freehubs. even if they're cheap to replace (such as on Shimano), it's just not worth the hassle. The only issue I've had in the over 14 years I've had my King hub is that I didn't clean it, and after 5 years the grease was a little gummed up and when I rode it in sub-freezing temps, it froze and prevented the ring drives from engaging. Was still able to limp back to the car, but a quick clean and relube and it was good to go all over again.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
not trying to be smug, but this is why I moved away from pawl-based freehubs. even if they're cheap to replace (such as on Shimano), it's just not worth the hassle. The only issue I've had in the over 14 years I've had my King hub is that I didn't clean it, and after 5 years the grease was a little gummed up and when I rode it in sub-freezing temps, it froze and prevented the ring drives from engaging. Was still able to limp back to the car, but a quick clean and relube and it was good to go all over again.
I always just used gear oil in my King hubs. It is King approved (or was), actually what is recommended for cold weather, and makes servicing super easy. More like a an oil change. Open it up, drain oil, drop in fresh oil, reassemble.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nope. But usually feel a difference in shifting performance on folks mechs like yours that have been used as skid plates